Automobilista 2 September 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Sep 17, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmanhunt

gmanhunt New Member

'Leave the multimillion company alone!' energy right there

• Agree Agree x 7
  2. mansell

mansell Active Member

even this can have some difference, depending to what you copy and where you paste it.

its not the same to take the fusca or sebring from AMS2 and paste it to a game with different engine (ie AC evo) and taking a car from PC2 and paste it in AMS2.
    in the first case, even if "hacking" is involved, still requires some work from the "modder" to make it work.
    in the second, not that much.
    i make custom liveries for a popular game, most are commissioned but i do free stuff too. i find a way (hack) to get access to the official liveries files and assets. when someone asks for an ingame livery with his name or his league or whatever on it, i paint the livery by hand. i could use the files in game to make it perfect but i don't.
    if i could use these (hacked) liveries and convert them to fit a GT3 car in AMS2, i would still consider it "hacking" but at least, i should work to find my own way to make this fit possible.
    so, even in "porting", there are differences...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. mansell

mansell Active Member

are SMS or s397 or kunos multimillion companies?
    what if i copy a VW polo or cascavel that reiza created/licensed and paste it in AC or beamNG? who would i hurt? volkswagen? cascavel real estate owners? reiza? the modding "community"? who is the multimillionaire here?

@gmanhunt and @Racinglegend1234

Last edited: Oct 8, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I just thought it sounded like the guy said. IMO the border is when ripping content is used to earn money or doesn’t say where it comes from

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Dont agree. AMS2 unique content is one of its selling points. If its available for free for AC there is less reason to buy AMS2.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

There’s a lot of content on AC that I can get for free or cheaper than the cost of AMS2, yet I prefer AMS2. Content isn’t everything

• Agree Agree x 8
  7. Siggi_Stoppschild

Siggi_Stoppschild Active Member

Nothing leads me to this, I was just joking.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. mansell

mansell Active Member

sure. 100% agree here
    sometimes it goes the other way too "porting licensed content you can't find in AMS2 is a more reason to buy it" and i don't want to think some people here meaning this when downvoting comments about ripping and copy/paste content

this anti/multimillionaire rhetoric, as far as i like it because im an european leftist, reminds me some of my pirate friends, you know...
    that said, i wish reiza would be (multi)millionaire sometime, good work should be always rewarded

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Harry_Harras

Harry_Harras New Member

Of course there is a difference between mods and ports in technical terms - the question is, if this has legal implications in terms of IP or other stuff. I doubt it, as long as it is not monetarized ...

Things like popularity and reasons to buy a game, which are discussed above, are another matter altogether.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

Where is the sleepy smilie?

11. gmanhunt

gmanhunt New Member

1. Well yes, they are multimillion companies.
    2. It hurts no one maybe except you and your feelings.

Also you can't copy paste game data between game engines and expect it to work out of the box. It's not that easy. Plus who cares if people are having fun with some amateur port jobs. They're never going to match what proper devs could do with manufacturer data.

Also it's a service problem - a lot of popular ports are for cars and tracks that are not officially available for the sim itself. I mod Fuji and LMP1 in AMS2 because Reiza never sold them as DLC. If Reiza sells them, I wouldn't bother modding and putting up with all the problems that comes with mods.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. mansell

mansell Active Member

here. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    you are welcome :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. MrGit

MrGit Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, some people here are displaying a lack of how intellectual property licencing/laws work. :D

Same thing tho with some of the rules that I specifically have to follow within the framework of the NDA's that I've signed, step outside of those and your rear end is financial and legal toast...i wonder how many of us have read through EVERY eula from start to finish each time you install a game, I know I don't and that's likely gonna be much the same for everyone else.

You take someone's property under the guise of "sim x doesn't have this car I want, so I'm (or find someone who has already) gonna take it from sim y and put it in." Why do you think Kunos are being so coy about modding support? They sure as hell want to, but the licencing they've probably signed with car manufacturers and circuits are bound to stipulate some kind of moderation to protect their ips.

Basically, if you get caught doing something naughty, that's down to you. ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

Much better

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. TinPeach

TinPeach New Member

Interesting, I do no get any oscillations with my R16 wheel. Maybe I have made more tweaks in Pithouse than I thought. I have however found a base setting in Pithouse, which I have set with differing degrees of road feel that works across the board - AC, AMS2 (using DanielKarts file), LMU, RR - of course, as with all FFB feel, this is personal to me.

16. AllocDK

AllocDK Active Member

If you dont want to use modded cars then dont.

I like some of the TF GT3 cars so i use them...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Les expos de mtl

Les expos de mtl Member

Mod on rfactor 2 are pretty accurate. The track mod are for the most part very good. I never have the feeling they are « mod ». In assetto corsa, lot of tracks and car feel kind of cheap. Even rss, vrc don’t feel as good as rfactor 2 mods. I just discover a newest gt3 mods for rfactor2. They made it for real drivers to practice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. stealthradek

stealthradek I know nothing. AMS2 Club Member

I think you've missed the point :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Harry_Harras

Harry_Harras New Member

Thats only partly right - because it is not the mod itself which violates trademarks or IP its the name or livery. And lets be honest - there are basically no practical issues here, if it is not monetarized. And a bit less condescending would be nice ;)

20. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So wait... people on the internet don't know how licensing and property laws work?! Who would've thought :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.