Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Knok56

Knok56 New Member

Bonjour, c'est vrai que l'on ne retrouve pas sur les effets personnalisés celui plus ou moins prononcé de retour au centre du volant pourtant présent dans default et default plus, ce retour central du volant est souvent présent dans d'autres simulations comme LMU par exemple. Est-ce un effet réaliste ?

2. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi @Danielkart I like you V6000 Extreme2 file, but have a question. When a car locks the front wheels, the steering will normally go light, but I do not get that effect from your file. Is it just a case of it not being implemented? If it is, is there a way of making it a bit more noticeable? Thanks for all your, and others, great work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AllocDK

AllocDK Active Member

Man i have been waiting for 1.6 to release so i could get your new version - Thank you, I cant wait till i get home and try them out :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Hi Michael
    There are a few reasons for this. This feeling of a lighter wheel when you lose traction varies greatly between cars and physics. For example, a Formula car will simulate it more than a GT3 car. Additionally, I personally don't like it when it gets too much because it makes the car unstable and uncontrollable and also creates a floating feeling. And because a simulation cannot simulate real G-forces, this loss of grip is subject to compromise. I can't even compensate for it with butt kickers or my motion platform and that's why stability, the feel of the tires or the grip level are much more important to me personally. An additional factor that must be taken into account here is the different processing of the bases. A Simucube2 will give me finer and more precise differences than a Moza Base. As I said, it's my interpretation of FFB like Reiza has for the defaults or other people for their customs. There will never be a perfect FFB from anyone because there are too many personal preferences and expectations

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks, I'll send you to experiment a lot with the sliders (most of the time it solves any initial shortcomings), but I'm especially interested if you highlight structural anomalies during the game as has already happened in the past with other users who made me solve anomalies on bumps and curbs (while I leave personal sensations, tastes and the level of effects to the user so I'm not very interested), so if you like when you can share, here or privately, your game and steering wheel settings.

------------------------------------------------

I'm already working on the next evolution which could be just a regulation (based on your feedback) or it could also have other implementations such as the extraction of lateral and longitudinal forces outside the rack and even further ahead or subsequently the insertion in the ffb code of the sensations inherent to the camber (to date I haven't been able to implement it without problems or rather it works very well and is wonderful but I can't exclude it in cars where it causes discomfort and not benefits), we'll see...

• Like Like x 1
  6. PeterV

PeterV New Member

This is the first version of the ATMOS (and almost any other custom FFB files) I have used. LOTS of things about it are great- better than others I tried, or the stock FFB sets. BUT.... I get the result of what you outlined above, when I drive the Group C XJR-9 at Oulton Park. On certain 'rear slides', and who knows what exactly unfolds in that sequence, the steering suddenly REVERSES with a severe kick, and that sequence can actually injure you! You are holding high pressure to corner, fighting against the tire forces and then "BAMMM" you are assisting an extreme rotation in that same direction, so all your high force input (of your arms/hands) is now suddenly helping the steeeing wheel rotate and take them around a huge rotation that is unexpected and not physically possible - so your hands get 'thrown off', luckily, but in some cases not before they were 'captured' by the wheel for a bit.

I found that lowering the Gain a LOT meant it did not occur anymore, but then it is too low and you then have 'weak' cornering forces. Maybe the effect is still even there, but not triggered the same way seeing your steering input is much lower and might not 'append' to that reversal and then it is not a 'cascading' expansion, like when the FFB Gain is 'normal' (high).

In all other ways the ATMOS seemed better/great, and I dabbled in various settings to try to erase that 'reversal' case, but it remains - relative to the Gain strength being enough for it to be seen (or even show up?).

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

Oulton Park is my new go to track to test extreme suspension travel.
    I went there with a Porsche GTE and it has lots of suspension travel with my file (Default+ does a better job containing those, so... work to do... :))

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stakanov

What version of Atmos are you trying? o_O
    This should be fixed in version 1.6.0 check the file you are using in the game folder and see if you use an old the version (maybe it is 1.5.x), if so download version 1.6.0 ... here is the correct link ...
    Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

In the meantime that you confirm it I'll go and replicate your test which never hurts. ;)

EDIT: Sorry but Group C XJR-9 is a MOD CAR of Thunderflash i can't replicate (i don't use) and i don't now if is a problem only for the mod car ... you can try only official cars of Group C of AMS2?? ;)

EDIT 2: On my station I tried the Official Group C of AMS 2 and everything seems ok (at most some sliders need to be adjusted but nothing wrong) ... I don't feel any erratic bumps, BOOM or anomalies that are not in line with what I see on the video.
    In any case I don't feel the anomaly that occurred in the V10 Gen2 in the Atmos 1.5.x files and earlier, in version 1.6.0 seem all ok. Check if you have the latest version because I feel a great movement of suspensions, nice medium/large bumps and I feel a hard bump only if I hit the highest curbs but everything seems correct and in line with the track.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2024 at 8:22 PM
  9. Stakanov

Then you want more "amount of 'snap/spring' back to centre you get in default/default or when you correct oversteer. If correct and if i understend, that makes sense, and i communicate that you are a very sensitive user, compliment.

I have reduced a value to avoid the elastic effect in the street cars or in the most swaying cars, then go under in the file and try to modify this line of code under indicate....

from this 0.25

(steer_pull (hard_clip (* steer_spring_strength steer_delta 0.25) 0.5))

try to this 0.40

(steer_pull (hard_clip (* steer_spring_strength steer_delta 0.40) 0.5))

but after you find your level try the swaying cars that I have mentioned and if necessary set an intermediate value (according to your taste) to reduce it. If you dont like return to the default value (0.25). ;)

-------------------------------------------------

Alternative solution.... at the top of the file between the various scales search this voice..

(steer_spring_strength_feel 0.750) 1.000 0.500 #Range: 0.0 - 1.0.

and try go up from 0.750 to 1.000 or intermediate value according to your taste (0.80-0.85-0.90-0.95). ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. carloscepinha

carloscepinha New Member

OFC It's assumed a linear/neutral profile on wheelbase software/driver.
    :D
    "This file assumes a (safety) best practice of limiting max torque at wheelbase software/hardware, not by reducing GAIN in game."
    I must say I could "feel" that philosophy in the FFB.

I must say, after trying like 20 or 30 custom ffb files for my DD1 ... the FullFFB is by far the best for me. Many times other custom ffbs had some lag delay or sort of dampening regarding disalignment bettween the axis, or weight transfers, and thus the corrections were slow.

Your ffb provides the snappiest feel. Very realistic.and the tightning on the brakes is exactly the same what I feel when karting.

I've kept coming back to default and default+ after all my attempts but this FFB I hope this never changes and this custom FFB still works the same with updates because this file is by far the best nothing else I've tried comes even close.

Huge thanks for your great work on this file, grande abraço!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

This is the track I always test FFB on first, it's bumps and mix of corners make it perfect imo.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PeterV

PeterV New Member

Thanks for thereply and info Stakanov! I will test some more.... maybe the car/mod has an issue that shows things up, or different.

Meanwhile..... Joaquim Perirera.... FullFFB..... Whilst the ATMOS was very good (great), the FullFFB custom FFB does EVERYTHING in an excellent way! Well, all the reactions/actions in ways I would expect them to do....
    One problem I have is across different cars. Some create more specific aspects of the FFB outputs, than others. Some a bit too strong, but the Gain slider is too 'all encompassing' to correct only what you want to change. Of course this is a limitation of having a 'blanket' (eg Master) slider - or limit of how many sliders. It wouold be good to know what exaclty each slider NOW does, for FullFFB. A breakdown of the effects each will alter/affect.
    I look through the file and try to isolate what sliders do what, but some is a bit unclear to decipher/derive :(

I also noted that in a post along the way you said to alter the GAIN, but in the file you say use 100% and only adjust the PerVehicleGain - though maybe the opost was too old and now it is different? So I used the Gain100% and PerV_FFB to lower the gain. On my Moza R12 that means about 55% region to feel about the right force (at least in fast GTE or Group C type cars).

13. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

Make a like here ;).

All my sliders stick to their names and do exactly that, been FX the scrub and engine vibrations only.

About GAIN: it should be 65% to get the desired clipping effect (just a touch of red, here and there), but changing it does not modify anything but the global gain itself (as far as I know, in most rF*cktor based files, it changes the transfer curve, not just the gain - in my file, is just like Default/Default+).

However, take in consideration that "From v6 onward, vehicle-specific gain has a double impact and is the best method to adjust clipping behaviour.".
    It changes both rack forces from physics and is also a global gain (as defined by AMS2 implementation).
    So, set GAIN to 65% and adjust vehicle-specific gain from car to car, it should give good results.

Set your Moza R12 to default values (this means "Gain Force Feedback Intensity" to 100%), except "Natural Inertia" to whatever cancels wheel vibration (in my case, with FSR, is 200-250%). The new "Natural Inertia" is there to adjust base-wheel control, it's game independent.

• Like Like x 1