Introducing Race Rank

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Race Rank
    How it Works - Overview
    Race Rank works by submitting results from Qualifying and Race sessions on official Reiza Servers. In Qualifying points are awarded for the top 20 qualifiers who set a time with in 107% of pole position. Race points are awarded for upto the top 20 finishers, as well as leading a lap, fastest lap and places gained. The maximum points possible is achieved by coming first, pole and fastest lap. There is no other combination that scores higher. A qualifying session counts for 1/6th of a race.

This base score is then scaled depending on the quality of the opponents on the server, the race length and the number of opponents, this then gives you a base score from this event. This means it’s hugely beneficial for you to take part on servers of around 20 drivers.

Event scores are scaled by how long ago they occurred and all your past scores are averaged based on the maximum score possible for that event. This gives you a full ranking. However we then scale this score back based on the number of events you’ve taken part in the past 31 days, requiring at least 10 races at present.

There will be full details available at VirtualXperience.net, but also you can see your race rank and others by going to the Profile page in game. The multiplayer lobby shows the average score of the top 20 players on that server if it is a ranked server, and each drivers score is visible on the timing screen and in game on their driver label.

This is a basic overview of the system, for a more detailed explanation keep reading.

Session Scoring
    Below are details of how each session is scored. Remember that there are scalars which are applied later for the overall number of participants, server quality and the length of events.

Qualifying
    In order to gain points for qualifying each driver must set a time with in 107% of the driver who gains pole position. Then points are awarded for qualifiers as follows:

Pole

8 pts

8th

15th

2nd

9th

16th

3rd

10th

17th

4th

11th

18th

5th

12th

19th

6th

13th

20th

7th

14th

21st or lower

Race
    In order to gain points for position in a race the driver must complete 80% of the race distance of the leader in laps. Positional points are detailed below.

1st

42 pts

8th

15th

2nd

9th

16th

3rd

10th

17th

4th

11th

18th

5th

12th

19th

6th

13th

20th

7th

14th

21st or lower

There are also bonus points on offer for fastest lap, positions gained and leading a lap. There are 4 bonus points for setting the fastest lap and 2 bonus points for leading a lap (extra points are not awarded for leading multiple laps). If drivers gain a place during they race they will be awarded 0.5 points per place gained, with a maximum of 5 points awarded for positions gained.

Session Scalar
    Session scalar is the overall value which points from the session are scaled by. This is calculated after the session is complete. The in game matchmaking service shows the average value of the top 20 drivers on the server, this is only indicative of the quality of participants, and does not show the end scalar to be expected.

The session scalar is made up of Quality, Participant, Length and Time parts. The length part is only applicable to race sessions.

· Quality (1.0 -> 2.0). This is calculated with a minimum value of 1.0 and a maximum of 2.0. It is calculated by taking the combined score of the top 20 drivers on the server and normalizing them by the score of the driver in roughly 25th percentile of all overall ranks. (Limit this value in 0.0 to 1.0 and add 1.0)

· Participant (0.0 -> 1.0). This is a basic scalar with 20 or more drivers required for it to not scale back the result. There is a requirement of at least 5 drivers to have either qualified or started the race.

· Race Length (0.0 -> 1.0). A race must last at least 5 minutes and needs to last 20 minutes or longer to gain a full scalar value.

· Time Scalar (0.0 -> 1.0). This is applied for how long ago the session was and is updated each time scores are recalculated. First we figure out how long ago the event took part on a basis of 1.0 today and 0.0 one year ago, and then square the result to give even more prominence to events that took part recently.

Producing the Overall Score
    With our session scores and scalars we produce the overall score. We multiply the session score by quality, participant and race length scalars and normalize the output so that all scores are in the range 0.0 to 10.0, and we log a session weight which is 1.0 for Races and 0.167 for Qualifying Sessions. We then multiply all our values by our Time Scalar to give greater prominence to recent results.

We then sum all of our weighted session scores and all of our Session weights and divide the former by the later. This is a drivers basic score. However we then scale that down based on the number of events taken part in the past month, with 10 events required to not reduce the score. This gives each driver an overall rank which is pushed to a leaderboard on Steam.

Future Ideas
    The overall concept is to add extra ranks under an overall Reiza Rank in the future. This would rebrand and adjust the Time Trial Overall leaderboard as Speed Rank and also add a Safety Rank for non speed related features when racing online. Then there are possibilities for matchmaking based on these values, or creating officially run competitions. But these are long term goals outside the scope of the present release.

Schedule for Week 1 has been posted. The topic will be updated every friday with schedules for the following week.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Heitor Facuri Cicoti

Heitor Facuri Cicoti Good Member AMS2 Club Member

I think there are text alignment issues in the points part. Feel free to delete my comment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Active Member AMS2 Club Member

So there are no contact or incident points?

4. Gasper Zupan

Gasper Zupan Member AMS2 Club Member

They might bring them in at some point, as I understood the text:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Big_Mama

Big_Mama Ben Suttor AMS2 Club Member

431600_20171229221250_1.png
    I'm getting this message on some of the ranked servers, any idea?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Eduardo

Eduardo New Member AMS2 Club Member

I think you have to go to Virtual Xperience and log in with your Steam ID, then you can go to the ranked servers.
    Anyhow, I did a race yesterday in one of these servers and didn't get any ranking in my profile.

7. Eduardo

Eduardo New Member AMS2 Club Member

As a suggestion for the race rank, it would be great if you can add info in your official servers about the starting time of the races and the number of people connected before a race.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Schedule for Week 1 has been posted. The topic will be updated every friday with schedules for the following week.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

20171231145502_1.jpg
    Where can i see my ranking?
    Is it a ranking per Car per Track?

10. Alexandre Sene

Alexandre Sene Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Today I got this message all official servers I tried. Even in a empty room.
    Couldn't increase my rank. :oops:

11. SaxOhare

There is a requirement of at least 4 drivers to have either qualified or started the race (kind of high on official Reiza Servers)

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Alexandre Sene

Not sure if I understood right but it doesnt make sense, I guess it's more related as a bug.

13. SaxOhare

You're probably talking about the message and not about "no ranking in empty room"

14. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Well need to know some more information about your circumstances, had you raced on a different server before? Had you restarted the game? Was Steam in online mode? Were you alt tabbed when joining? etc..

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  15. Alexandre Sene

Hi Alex,
    Since I remember.
    I had raced 1 or 2 days before at F3 servers... and kart. I had no problem.
    That day I tried raced at least in 3 official servers, MCR, KART and other that I dont remember. All of them I received that message.
    And last time I tried, Wednesday If I'm not wrong, I entered at MCR server that was starting the qualy session, I could run until few minutes before the end of session.
    I remember that someone entered in server and after it I received those message... so was kicked.

So...
    had you raced on a different server before? Yes.
    Had you restarted the game? that time no, but tried others days.
    Was Steam in online mode? Yes.
    Were you alt tabbed when joining? I can not say that surely.

16. Heitor Facuri Cicoti

I also got that message when trying to join the Karts server multiple times last week. Got kicked right away. For the Stock V8 server I had no issues at all, but I saw one or two guys being kicked while I was driving.

I think I was on other (non official and official) servers before, but didn't get to the race; I had not restarted the game; Steam was untouched (so I think yes); No alt tabbing.

I'll try to check them again today. I remember that one other server had the same issue, and one other was ok. Don't remember which ones. I'm only sure about Karts and Stock V8. All of the mentions are for the Official Servers.

17. Alex Sawczuk

There will be some pattern to it, I managed to force it by being alt tabbed, but no other way yet.

I'm restarting the servers atm, with a test to fix the player count btw.

• Like Like x 2
  18. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Just looking at the portal it seems much more plausible now…:) Thank you!
    Capture d’écran 2018-01-05 à 19.01.08.png

19. Alex Sawczuk

Just did some testing, it hasn't fixed it yet, I'm afraid.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Heitor Facuri Cicoti

upload_2018-1-5_17-29-40.png
    upload_2018-1-5_17-30-36.png

It seems that everyone who joined the server at some point appears in the list. LOBBY count looks right while OFFICIAL SERVERS seems to count that same list.