Nvidia control panel settings?

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Cully, Dec 25, 2018.

1. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Hehe nope, no screens. Btw, you can test them by yourself (as I did before picking my favourite one) and see the subtle differences. I have sweet FX put to off (I don't like it) and every AA setting listed here is for a specific game (you can see them listed near the number while selecting them) so when you apply one to AMS you will have some subtle effects and colors differences (since those are intended for specific games) and FPS results too (some are heavier than others).
    Basically those aren't simplier AA settings only or at least this is what I noticed (not only me to be honest).
    I am not a tech expert so I can't explain how this happens but I can notice such small differences so I think you will notice them too...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Spin

Spin Active Member

Alright, thanks. I'll give em a shot. Sounds interesting.

3. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've noticed jaggys using in-game of highest option in config. Seems like aliasing not working properly! Sweet is on as well.

4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Likely the result of well-documented Microsoft and NVIDIA issues that affect all DX9 games. Try Windowed mode and see if that magically corrects the problem. If so, it's by (Microsoft) design that it behaves that way :(

5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Using nVidia inspector works fine ;) Anti aliasing compatibility 0x004412C1

• Useful Useful x 3
  6. Supa

Yes I did that last night and looks great!!! Diablo3.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

I do not have that option(choice) in the inspector. Just 3 others but not the 0x004412C1 one, :eek:

8. Supa

You're looking in wrong option....think its the one above that one.....you'll know it as it has alot of options and just scroll down about halway and theres only 1 Diablo3...and it has C1 on the end! Perfect!

9. Bull Shark

No I’m looking at the same section as seen in post #5

10. Supa

Hmmmm yeh youre right! Somethings different. Heres my config....

upload_2019-7-12_19-16-48.png

11. Supa

And my nvidia inspector
    upload_2019-7-12_19-17-53.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bull Shark

Yes but as said, I do not have the option to choose the Diablo III setting.
    Strange as I have the latest version..

13. DaVeX

You don't need to select the Diablo one, you can chose between the ones I posted earlier ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Jason Mullin

Jason Mullin New Member

I don't see the need to dive into nvidia it looks very good just adjusting the video setup, everything max in game, AA x16.
    Does it make a big difference? Here's all I run.
    Screenshot (9).png

15. DaVeX

Yes there is, at least for me, even setting AA through config tool (the pic you posted) I need Nvidia Inspector for working AA.
    Btw, since it is a quite simple test I suggest you to try it.

16. Bull Shark

Found the problem. In my version the two AA settings are just swapped. So I looked at the wrong one. I now have set it as it should be. Thanks again.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Spin

Spin Active Member

Does anyone have pictures to compare? I just tried every one of those above with 4x msaa + 4x transparency supersampling aa. Compared to the default aa bits (0x00000000), I see no difference with all of them except 401840 but that one's unusable because things look blurry like I have bad glasses on; even game text is blurry. Besides 401840, I still see texture shimmering/crawling along all the guard rails (eg. along pit lane), lines going down the road, etc. Fences look good but they also look good (and the same) with default aa bits (0x00000000).

It seems the only way to really reduce the shimmering & crawling is by using Sparse Grid Supersampling (eg. msaa 2x + sgssaa 2x, or msaa 4x + sgssaa 4x). That'll cost a lot of frames though but I see no other alternative to really get a clean picture without the distracting shimmering & crawling. Even when I used to have an AMD card and played a lot of GT Legends and rFactor 1 10 years ago, it was the same thing: only true full-scene supersampling gave me a clean picture but it eats frames, lol. 2x ssaa was pretty good, 4x was basically beautiful perfection, 8x was pointless because it demolishes framerates while looking 99% the same as 4x. With Nvidia, the equivalent would be sgssaa (set msaa and sgssaa to the same number eg, 2x msaa + 2x sgssaa, 4x msaa + 4x sgssaa, etc.).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Yep, and that's why Reiza conveniently and helpfully included those options in AMS' graphics config app. No need to fiddle with NVIDIA control panel or Inspector to get the best results in AMS.

I pray to all gods that they do something similar for AMS 2 since Inspector and Control Panel tend to be mostly useless on anything past DX9. I cannot get rid of the highly annoying shimmering and crawling in several newer titles no matter what settings I use.

19. Spin

Spin Active Member

Ya. It seems more devs (and players alike) these days prefer using the much less intensive post-processing forms of aa. They'll use a full-scene vaseline-smearing aa like fxaa, and then they'll undo the smearing by using a post-processing sharpening filter. I'm not a fan, at all, of that method. I'd rather just have proper, truly calculated aa.

The cool thing about using msaa + sgssaa is that the LOD bias is usable again. I guess it's not a big deal for AMS players since Reiza are awesome enough to have added the setting in the PLR file for us but it's still convenient to be able to adjust it from the Nvidia settings.

Nvidia's sgssaa (msaa + sgssaa) is not good at 2x - it doesn't clean the image good. For me, it's a toss-up between it at 4x and 12xS. I'm leaning towards 12xS as it seems to offer slightly better average framerates for me as well as offering a slightly cleaner image with regards to what you usually see while actually racing on track (eg, slightly less distracting lines off in the stands, tyre barriers, etc.) while 4x sgssaa seems to offer a slightly cleaner image in my pitlane guardrail test (going down pitlane while looking at the guardrail on the left in front of all the engineering booths). The only concerning thing with 12xS is that I had AMS crash on me often when I exited a race. Maybe I'd say more than 25% of the time. I never had a single issue with 4x sgssaa. I'm going to stick with 12xS for now, hopefully the CTDs were just some fluke.

By the way, I get higher framerates with 12xS than 8xS and 8xSQ. The only thing I can guess is that it has something to do with 12xS using a different AA method (ogms) than the rest.

AMD's 2x supersampling was almost as good as Nvidia's 4x sgssaa while AMD's 4x ssaa made the picture practically perfect- looked like it was pre-rendered - it was that clean. I don't know why AMD's full-scene supersampling is better than Nvidia's. Years ago, I read that AMD uses a different method.

P.S. There's some really good information about Nvidia settings (including lots of sgssaa information) here: Nvidia Inspector introduction and Guide
    The sgssaa & lod bias info are under section 4 - Texture Filtering.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  20. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I still need to set the compatability to the diablo thing in Inspector before it works! Don't you?