Automobilista - How the FFB works and what is new about it

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Spin

Spin Active Member

OSW Help Needed with FFB

I now only raise the default maxforcesteering rack by 33% and lower OSW amperage to compensate. So

P.S. Don't worry about "1:1" settings (on any sim); it's not realistic at all. Many technical, hardware, and software reasons for it.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  2. Allaeius

Allaeius Beginner AMS2 Club Member

Have you tried setting negative values from the in-game FFB Strength slider?

3. Wozza_UK

Wozza_UK New Member

How do I reduce the 'road feel' effect? On my T500 some areas of the track have a lot of vibration. It feels like I'm driving around on that newly laid tarmac when all the stones are still stuck to it. The light patch on the main straight at Santa Cruz do Sul for example. Is there a setting in the realfeel ini file to adjust this?

Thanks.

4. Spin

Spin Active Member

I think this is just physics-based bumps of the road and so you can't edit them out in AMS but you can add smoothening or damping to the FFB which may help.

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I will test again to confirm, but have spent lots of time at that track. If your wheel and FFB are configured properly, there is no undue bumpiness on the main straight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Spin I own the Simsteering V2 DD wheel. Just wanted to know what you mean by lowering amperage?? I dont do that with my wheel so have no idea why you do it. When you reduce Maxforce you are reducing the FFB overall to ensure signal is not clipping. Wouldnt you then compensate by increasing the FFB from your wheel to compensate. .

7. Spin

Spin Active Member

I think I meant lower/raise your amperage depending on whether you want more or less force while leaving realfeel's maxforce and the in-game FFB's strength alone. This way you don't adjust the game's actual FFB output range or curve - you're adjusting "hardware output power" rather than changing something from the game's processing/output of forces. Know what I'm saying?

8. Supa

Yet I figured that might be the case. I just turn down force in wheel software

9. Spin

Spin Active Member

Ya. I'm experimenting with leaving the game ffb at 100% (instead of 80%) and lowering ffb more from wheel software. I'm fighting a loosing battle though; something about simracing games and/or FFB tech means that games have wayyyyyyyy too much centering spring. I can't use high torque numbers to give a similiar behaviour to real life because then we'll get an insane amount of centering force and speed. It's really frustrating and gives our sim games and high-powered wheels a bit of a gimmicky sense to them.

Some others (FFB gurus from iRacing and rFactor 2 forums) and I think the problems are:
    1. real life "FFB" is reactive, but our sims' FFB is active
    2. real life has a huge amount more inertia (suspension, steering column, brakes, tyres, etc.)
    3. real life "FFB" could be considered torque-based which simracing ideally wants but we're using position based

I think points 1 and 3 tie into eachother.

I feel like lowering MMos (wheel software) helps a little with reducing the crazy powerful and stiff centering spring but what I feel we really need is some way to adjust this from a game perspective. I think you can adjust this in RF1 (or AMS "effects" FFB), PCars 1, Raceroom, and if you use SimCommander (Accuforce owners). Sometimes those adjustments can have other affects besides centering spring though. I heard SimCommander works real good for this.

I hope Reiza and all other simracing devs can start giving us a centering spring/force adjuster. I'm not talking about all sorts of FFB adjustments ala Project Cars 1, rFactor 1, and Raceroom as that can get real messy, real fast but simply a centering spring/force adjuster.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  10. Supa

Hmmm I dont have that problem with my wheel. I notice what you mention with badly done mods but not with the Reiza standard stuff. My settings are here which interestingly also has a friction setting upload_2017-12-20_17-3-15.png

• Like Like x 1
  11. Supa

Sorry meant inertia setting

12. Spin

Spin Active Member

Ya, OSWs have an inertia filter too.

13. Supa

I was just wondering about the centering spring issue you mention. Thats not related to the physics that want to return your wheel to centre when you are moving. Also, you mentioned Iracing which i used to be a member of so am familiar with their physics. Why would you talk to them about anything related to physics when they cant even get the tire model working properly when it heats up. Totally unrealistic that you should spin out at the next corner all because you overheated them on the previous corner. They even have real racing drivers that mention this and still they cant get that right!

14. Spin

Spin Active Member

I'm not sure why you went on an attack on iRacing. I was talking about FFB technology in general - nothing to do with iRacing or any particular sim.

The centering spring (S.A.T.?) issues are possibly more to do with FFB tech in general than a particular sim's physics.

15. Supa

When I mention something constructive it is not an attack. Obviously a Fanboy of Iracing. If it makes you feel any better I could add Assetto Corsa which disappointed me greatly when I eventually tried it with rubbish FFB that seemed the same as GT5 and a terrible menu. Oh and the cars I tried all seemed to have the same physics! Needless to say I got that refunded. And Im sure Project cars will be justr as much of a disappointment .

16. Gilles Lalonde

Gilles Lalonde MotherDawg

Hi guys,

Domagoj,

To of page 5, post #81, you stated: "In case you use Pure FFB in game options, there is nothing in controller.ini that will change output ffb. Everything you have in game menu already."

1- Does that mean: Adjustments like FFB steer force grip function, grip weight, grip factor and grip fract are not used at Pure ?
    Does the same goes for friction and damper coefficient ?

Are you saying those take effect only if set to Pure + Effects ?

2- What does Importing a Controller Preset do ?

When I load one, nothing changes!

I can have one with some Sensitivities set to 30-40% and another with the Sensitivities set to 55-65%, that I load one or the other... nothing changes. The in game Sensitivities stays at 50%.
    If I load one with the Pause key set to the Spacebar or one with the Pause set to the P key, nothing changes in the key's assignments.
    That I change "FFB Device Type" from 1 to 2, it stays to Wheel, it does not change to Joystick.

Does Importing a preset do anything ?

3- Since Presets don't seemed to work, which of the Controller.ini file is the master? The one in the Root or the one in the Player's folder? Which one do I need to edit so the game uses what I want it to use?

Is the "controller preset loads.txt" of any use ?

I'm sure you guys, Reiza, understand that quitting the game each time I want to change a settings is no fun.

Thank You.
    Don't get me wrong, I like the sim... I'm in the gold one here.

Thanks to all at Reiza.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  17. Gilles Lalonde

Gilles Lalonde MotherDawg

Interesting !!!

I don't know if it's on my side (had to run an Integrity Check and many files needed to be "reacquired") or if it's somehow related to the 1.5.13r version but loading a different profile now changes the sensitivities.

Great!

The Question is: Does the FFB steer force neutral function is still used ?

From a post by Supa:
    The game resets the value to zero every time.

I'll post back if I see other values that changes... in the midst of learning to drive the F.Classic for MNRL's next racing season.

Thank You for the game's update guys.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  18. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

I think there was a post about this somewhere, but I wasn't abe to find it.

What is best practice for Accuforce users regarding wheel rotation? I haven't played AMS in a while, but I remember when I last played it that there was no Autorotation for the Accuforce, and that if I wanted to have adequate DoR for different cars I had to set the wheel to 900° and adjust steering angles in the cars pit menu.

Is that the way to go, or is there a more elegant solution? I know I can set it to eg. 540° for all cars, but I'd rather not have the same roation for everything if possible. I don't have any other games to compare because AC/ACC does the whole thing different and in both rF2 and R3E Autorotation works.

19. Spin

Spin Active Member

I'm confused about Automobilista's FFB.

I just saw a video of Niels Heusinkveld where he lowered the MaxForceAtSteeringRack (MFSR) value in the RealFeel.ini file so that FFB is just about maxing out at max in-game steering force levels (peaks aside). What doesn't seem to make sense is that Niels' in-game FFB is set to 50%. Lowering in-game FFB seems to have a similiar if not identical effect to raising the MFSR. That means Niels' *true* MFSR is way higher than what he set it to in RealFeel (exactly double if the in-game overall force is 1:1 inverse).

Shouldn't Niels have set in-game FFB to 100% if he wanted the MFSR value to be truly accurate?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  20. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The FFB at Hockenheim is just unreal. So amazing.

• Like Like x 1