1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will game-pad axis settings be fully customisable, or limited like Project Cars 2?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by TheRealJuralumin, Feb 2, 2020.

1. TheRealJuralumin

TheRealJuralumin Member

I play all my sims with a PS4 controller running through DS4Windows (emulates a 360 pad) and for the most part it works great. Most sims like Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, and Automobilista allow for full customisation of controller axis sensitivity, dampening, and filtering, but with Automobilista 2 i'm concerned about the implementation of controller support. Project Cars 2 has terrible controller support, the game doesn't allow you to increase the steering speed or decrease the dampening beyond a certain point; basically even when set to 0, the dampening and filtering for steering are not truly 0, meaning certain steering inputs get slightly delayed. This issue completely ruined PC2 for me and I never got it to feel as good on a pad as other sims.

So I just wanted to ask if this is a limitation of the Madness engine, and in turn Automobilista 2, or will AMS2 have fully customisable controller axis settings like the original game?

2. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Buy a wheel.

• Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  3. Paul Cohen

Paul Cohen Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Great questions! I have some related ones here: AM2 Early Backing - Tech Questions

It would be great to get some feedback (ha!) from Reiza on their gamepad support plans.

That's not helpful advice at all.

There are many reasons players use a gamepad over a wheel:
    . Cost
    . Physical space limitations
    . Accessibility and disability issues
    . Convenience
    . ?

In a lot of cases it's not a matter of not wanting to use a wheel, it's simply not being able to for reasons stated above.

There's also a huge spectrum of wheel controllers and setups, and having a crap wheel setup at the lower to mid range of this spectrum is probably inferior to just going with a gamepad and having fun. Not to mention that every decent simulator offers great gamepad configuration in addition to wheel controllers, recognizing that gamepad players are probably in the majority.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheRealJuralumin

TheRealJuralumin Member

1. I have nowhere to put it, I play games on my PC which sits at the end of my bed, there is very limited space there, although someone like Jimmy Broadbent has made it work in a similar limited space situation, this brings me to #2

2. I haven't got the money. I'm unemployed and live off a disability pension, I do voluntary work to keep myself busy, but haven't been able to land a job. So I just can't afford to throw a ****load of money at a sim rig.

3. I use my PC for everything, and while I play a lot of sims, I use it for all my other gaming too, as well as for editing (I do photography), and it's just not feasible to set up a wheel and pedals when 90% of the time i'm using my computer i'm doing non-sim racing related things.

Of course I would absolutely love to have a decent wheel and pedals set up. Especially one with a clutch and h-pattern shifter, but it's just not a possibility for me at the moment, and i'm very happy to use a pad. I've been playing racing games on a PlayStation controller my whole life, going right back to Colin McRae Rally and ToCA Touring Cars on the PS1. I think game-pad support in racing sims is important, and I want to make sure that Reiza Studios won't leave it as an afterthought like other studios have in the past.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

I play with a Xbox 360 wired controller, I like PCars 1 & 2 but that's an issue that I've complained about in the official PCars forums and in my Steam reviews and that was never fixed.
    In AMS1 you can completely disable all deadzones & dampers/filters in game and by editing a .ini file. Hopefully there will be options to completely disable those things in AMS2 as well. I don't mind having those things enabled by default to help casual users as long as I have the option to disable them.

6. Paul Cohen

Paul Cohen Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

FWIW Renato replied to my questions on this in the beta and the short answer is yes, they are going to replicate the gamepad setup in AM1 for AMS2. It's not in yet, but will be *soonish*.

• Like Like x 1