1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reiza March 2020 Development Update - An Update on AMS2 Release

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 23, 2020.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I **** my pants also in ACC for example. On the edge, it will bite you pretty hard, going off-track.
    I think, modern sims are recreating some things, that also are hitting on bad habits, we've build up in the past. (The braking, for example also is another deal in ACC, when going down with ABS. It's rewarding, but risky, in sims like GTR2, you can basically smash it, jolt the car in on pedal, yaw it over with a nudge on the pedal and rocket out of corners. This will be a bit more problematic in more modern sims.)

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

Most likely not. That's what happened at first since the car requires either slightly later downshifts or more throttle on downshifts than I'm used to, but I quickly got used to that and can easily tell these two apart. I've tried gently easing of the brakes, braking much earlier and with less pressure, even gently applying some throttle while still on the brakes to see if this would improve the balance of the car - but as soon as the last bit of brake pedal is lifted, the car jerks around like crazy.

Guess I'll see if there's something odd about the setup, such as an asymmetry somewhere.

3. CrimsonEminence

This could also be down to slight weight shift and balance problems, it's a rear engined car, those are the best. EDIT: Oh the GTB, not GTE, forget that :D But maybe something is off, yeah. When it would be an aero car, i would've said now, make the front harder and apply less rake. :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. XTRMNTR2K

The GTE has a rear-engine?! Damn, I need to give it a spin (pun intended! :D) ASAP!

5. CrimsonEminence

The Puma GTE should be a Fusca with more sporty-ness applied, if i remember correctly.^^
    EDIT:
    Oh, it's a VW Karmann Ghia offshoot!

In my eyes, it's basically a lightweight Porsche-thingy, though :D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. XTRMNTR2K

Oh my goodness, thanks so much for the recommendation! I just ran a few laps around Interlagos and it handles like a dream. Feels a tad underpowered, but otherwise great fun! It even handles a tiny bit of trailbraking, though braking late in general is a bad idea obviously. :D
    But if you drive it like you would a 911 it performs beautifully! <3

EDIT: I think I'm going crazy. Last night I was running a race weekend in the Copa Classic A class, driving the Puma GTB like I mentioned. Throughout all sessions the car was incredibly squirrely under braking and felt heavy in a strange way for a lack of better words.
    Needless to say I was getting frustrated with the AI pulling away from me like there's no tomorrow!

Just now I ran several test days with various Copa A and B cars. Last but not least it was the turn of the Puma GTB. It still had my modified setup active (with reduced brake pressure) but I decided to reset it to default.

What do I know? Suddenly the car handles wonderfully and even feels somewhat lighter than it did yesterday. In fact I managed to beat my times with the other Copa Class A cars on Interlagos by more than 2 seconds - easily! The only time it gets squirrely is when approaching the end of the braking zone at the back straight, but so far that has been the case for every Copa car.

I'm both happy and weirded out by this turn of events. It was almost as if I'd had some sort of technical issue last night (which, incidentally, I do have enabled...).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tim_R27

Tim_R27 New Member

@Remco Majoor I've never seen a car in real life put two wheels on the grass and spin. Even F1 cars don't do that (albeit they are better drivers than me, haha)! I was just watching the F1 programme on Netflix 2 days ago and I really can't remember who it was right now, but down the straight he made a move on another driver who tried to defend however he decided to take to the grass anyway and completed the overtake. Seen many similar things before. I get it that you don't want ppl to just take to the grass and not be punished at all but this is way over the top. Personally I still prefer my sims to edge towards fun/useability rather than outright realism (if this were the case with the grass) but I get that not everyone does. It's just not fun in my mind, if I spent around 45sec just getting back on the track it's race over = no fun.
    I don't suppose there's anywhere to download or get car/wheel setups from yet is there? I can adjust things to my liking from a baseline setup but not these default ones, for some cars they seem way off the mark

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I just noticed that last eve, too.

There is definitely some oddities with braking relative to AMS 1. Without a pedal travel indicator on-screen, it is doubly difficult for us to learn and share what might be happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Marc Collins

An F1 car can spin from putting one wheel on the grass--if it's cornering at the time. It's all about lateral movement. So far, I have not noticed anything untoward in AMS 2 off track. Have you seen race cars slide on grass...almost like it is ice? Or get thrown askew if there is a bump in the grass even on a straight part of the track?

10. CrimsonEminence

The drivers are countering the loss of the car proactive, also a bit of green stuff doesn't immediately kills you, also not in AMS2, but if you're already on the edge, the balance on its limits, and the surface is changing in elevation and bumpyness, the deal changes quite a bit. You will more likely survive it on a grade-one track, though.
    Also remember, what can happen to Renault front wings on the green stuff. :p
    I've seen a Formula Ford(?) (comparable to the F-Trainer) car spin at Hockenheim, just touching the off-track slightly IRL. It can happen pretty roughly.
    This is not fun, probably, but this is also a simulator, so it will punish you for going off-track.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

Edit: Couple guys replied while I was writing mine. Doh!
    It's all relative. Most cars travelling in a more forward direction with little weight shift and sideways momentum will be fine sticking two wheels on grass. Very different when you add sideways momentum and g-force, taking a fast corner. The difference and shift in grip is multiplied the more sideways momentum and g-force you have.

There are plenty examples of this over the last 'x' years, especially common with tarmac rally cars, pop a wheel or two on the grass around a fast corner and depending on 'x' factors, you can have anything from (Edit: In varying degrees) a twitch, to the arse end being kicked out, the front end drifting out, whole car drifting off track.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Tim_R27

Tim_R27 New Member

Yeah I agree there's definitely different factors that can attribute to a car spinning when touching the grass but it seems a bit OTT in my opinion atm but yeah I shouldn't be there in the first place, hahaha. I already beat myself up enough for going off road, I just don't want a slap in the face at the same time ;)
    Literally my only gripe is the brakes locking up so easily, I have the t3pa pedals so not the best but surely it must be down to setup and me that I'm having the issue if others aren't, the pedals can't be that much at fault. Maybe I do need to re-learn how to drive, it could be as simple (awkward) as that. So there's this and the mental exit on corners with stock cars which also sounds like it's me, hmmm. I will give it a few more days before complaining again, I'm going to search out some tips on how to stay between the lines and not lock up my brakes.
    I'm only complaining though as I still like the game, I want to like it more, perfect it and enjoy it to the full. I'm also impressed with the graphics, very nice!

• Like Like x 2
  13. CrimsonEminence

No worries, m8, complaining about something is not an issue at all, i think.
    You don't wanna know, how much stuff i was moaning about in the beta testing phase :D (Especially physics department)

You will get a punishment by the sim, when leaving the track, that's kinda natural, it's basically the same for everyone, though. So it will give you reasons to improve. And hitting a good line on track can be very rewarding,

• Like Like x 2
  14. TekNeil

Quite a few are posting about the brakes, have a play with the pressure (Drop to 80) first and/or/then sensitivity and see how that feels.
    As for the mental exits with high powered RWD stuff, that's where the fun is haha. (I see a lot of people thinking it's not normal, but many only ever tend to drive boring/on rails GT cars). Most cars don't handle like they're on rails. #SteerWithTheRear Basically throttle modulation to control the angle of the exits...

Edit: Yeah as @CrimsonEminence says, I don't really see your posts as a complaint mate [Thumbs up].

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tim_R27

Tim_R27 New Member

Yes I do love the spinning of the wheels/movement at the rear on the exit of corners to a certain extent but it just seemed beyond me last night on the stock cars. I'm wondering if I'm shifting down to fast going into a corner which is locking up the wheels, although vids that i've watched of this game show ppl down shifting pretty quickly. I'll play with the settings and try to get used to this, I think the game is just a shock to the system

16. Tim_R27

Tim_R27 New Member

When callibrating the pedals should I push down as hard as possible on them, the graphical display when callibrating on the screen seems to hit 100% full (bar) before I've pressed them in as far as they'll go. Also for the wheel, it may be personal preference I suppose but should I rotate the full way one direction as it says then click next, then set back to 'straight' then rotate 90 degrees to the side OR set it to a particular value whatever angle my wheel may be at?

17. Marc Collins

This is a sure sign of a problem...

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Tim_R27

Tim_R27 New Member

Yeah the brake pedal does touch the 'cone' buffer thing at the back but I can push it in further from there. This is from memory from last night, i'll have to try again but I presume there's not a lot I can do to remedy this

19. TekNeil

I found a little trick (That randomly/sometimes) seemed to work in PC2.
    That was to calibrate the pedals (Pressing as hard as possible on brake), then go straight back in and do it again, this second time seemed to change the scaling, pressing hard once again showed the input had changed.
    Maybe worth a try.
    Edit: Of course that's a workaround, rather than a fix of sorts...

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Tim_R27

Tim_R27 New Member

Adjusting the brake pressure for each car is making quite a big difference! There's still the odd car that locks up quite easily (Mitsubishi Evo for example) but they suddenly feel drivable :) Sorry for being such a plank, this is something I should have messed about with last night but I wasn't 100% with it/thinking straight, haha. Anyway i'll still use the advice given on extra setup tips, thanks so much guys I really appreciate the help. I may be back soon for some more advice, I've been really impressed by how many ppl want to help. Cheers

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1