1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. F.Santos

F.Santos Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey I love the VR experience in AMS2 but two things always come to mind and other ppl might have mentioned already, but here it is.

First, If there was a way to increase the depth of the HUD elements it would be fantastic, at the moment when you adjust the FOV according to your driver's body position in the car the elements left and right are too close to your head, so its kinda difficult to look at your gear/speed or time on either side.
    Second, the replay in VR is trying to break your neck, you have full control to follow the car around the track in trackside view mode, which is amazing! But more often than not it misses the car completely and you are stuck looking at an empty track listening to your car's engine. Im sure there's some sort of timed view per angle, but it doesn't seem to always work, and you end up getting stuck looking at nothing or breaking your neck trying to find a car already gone.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

@F.Santos Waiting for Devs to make it easier, you have a way to change HUD position and scale editing an XML file. In your Documents\Automobilista 2 folder choose the XML matching your headset (should be oculussettings.xml like me for your Rift S) and edit the HUDSettings line near the bottom. Here you can change how deep it appear.

Watch here for explanation of all variables : Moving and scaling HUD, and VR sharpening

Here my version you will need to adapt (using offSetZ for deep) to your taste:
    <prop name="HUDSettings" offSetX="0.010054" offSetY="0.061950" offSetZ="-0.580263" scale="0.559927" rotateX="-0.017535" rotateY="-0.003423" rotateZ="0.000832" rotateW="0.999840" />

EDIT : Oh, I found a MOD made by @Goffik to change the HUD too : AMS 2 HUD Position Mod (VR)

I agree they need work on VR replays...

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, I would like VR replays (Trackside / TV-Style) where you are nearer to the action. With my Rift which has a low resolution it’s hard to enjoy trackside cams where all cars are far away and only a little mess of pixels... :D

Another problem with VR-trackside-replays is that sometimes a huge part of the screen is totally blurred because of a “Depth of Field” effect. Is it possible to turn DOF off for replays (maybe in an ini-file)?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hmmm, I think with shortcuts it’s possible to move and scale the HUD-elements. You can shift them in all 3 axes, so depth is one of them.
    So no file editing necessary.
    Maybe I understood you wrong...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

You can easily adjust the position of the whole HUD in VR using the in-game HUD editor, but moving the individual elements is problematic unless your monitor resolution happens to be the same as your headset resolution.

That said, I still modify my settings file before ever touching the HUD editor, to remove all rotation from the default HUD position, and move it into a much more suitable starting position.

6. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

Great to know, thanks, I fully missed that!

7. mist3rf0ur

mist3rf0ur Member

I really, really liked the VR replays from Dirt Rally 1.0 (they removed them in 2.0). What you could do is create a standing position right next to the track that is positioned towards the apex of each turn. Don't allow the camera to forcibly turn; instead, we could turn ourselves to follow the action. Have the view update as soon as the followed car exits the turn.

Edit: You could have the transition be a fade-to-black effect. This will help those who get motion sick and be less jarring when the camera changes location.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Madonion

Madonion Member

Ok i have a an interesting issue with VR i noticed.

I can select MSAA low/medium/High.
    Post AA ect.

But Super sampling only works if i select non VR mode. I click MSAA low and the option of super sampling does not open up yet on none VR mode its there?

9. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The replays in pc2 were good as well, I used trackside and they put you in the stands.

10. Alegunner68

Have you gone into vr options? The ss for Vr is there.

11. hereforthat51

hereforthat51 Member AMS2 Club Member

You guys are not going to believe it.
    0.9.2.1 inverted the world movement slider result for me.
    Now 100 = camera is locked to vehicle; 0 = camera is locked to horizon.
    Just like other users said.
    And I'm sure it was the opposite. So it may vary on a per user case. :D

12. Madonion

Madonion Member

Yip, the option only enables when i don't have it running in VR.

13. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

You can't access the VR sub menu when not in VR. So sounds like you are not looking at the correct SS control. Not that the in game slider for VR SS actually does anything anyway yet.

14. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

Not sure why one will chose to use for the SuperSampling the VR slider (or other tools like settings in SteamVR or OculusDebugTools) when we have the SharpeningStrengh trick in the xml file which do the same for nearly no fps cost? I made some comparison with both and results, for my eyes, have the same quality, when traditional VR SS (through OculusDebugTool in my case) kill my fps lower than 45fps. With the xml trick I keep 90fps and have the same result so have more headroom to add more eyes candies. Do you guys see an improvement using SS instead of the xml trick? Something I missed?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. F.Santos

F.Santos Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Did any of you manage to use the car info option in VR? I'm using the light version and I cant add car info to it, it seems like some options are not clickable in VR.
    Are guys having any difficulties to set up the HUD elements to your liking at all?

16. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Reiza don't seem overly interested in fixing the HUD editor for VR users at the moment, but there is a workaround.

Set a custom resolution for your monitor to match your VR headset resolution. Start the game and select this new resolution in the options. How head to a track and open the HUD editor. You will be able to move all the widgets and position them wherever you like. Once done, save your changes, exit the game and revert your resolution to normal. The HUD will remain as you left it the next time you play.

• Informative Informative x 4
  17. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

HUD Editor works just fine for me in VR, needs some love though in various areas, that will come but not important in the grand scheme of things right now.

18. Alegunner68

It won't let me select higher than 1080 in Vr, it does in 2d though. Wonder why?

19. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Good for you, but it doesn't for plenty of us so needs fixing. Are you on Oculus or SteamVR? And what is your monitor's native resolution?

I had that happen a few times as well. In this case, go to My Documents\Automobilista 2\graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml and change it to your custom resolution manually. Save and make the file read-only, to prevent the game changing it back. Don't forget to change it back yourself and make the file writeable again after you've finished with the HUD editor.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

No need for the attitude, I was merely saying it works well for me, I'm well aware that are more issues for others :)
    SteamVR and can't remember not at PC.

• Like Like x 1