1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

As an alternative, or as a complementary tool, you can use MSI Afterburner to see graphs over time for FPS and frametimes (and a lot other sensors too if you want)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jeff

Jeff New Member

I have a 2080TI, 8600K and and HP Reverb. I am used to the clarity of iRacing but am not getting close to that with Automobolista 2. Both iRacing and Automobolista 2 use SteamVR and I set the supersampling for all apps (no application specific settings). I have set the sharpening in the Automobolista xml file:

<prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="2.900000" />

I have tried maxing every graphics setting in game. Are my expectations just too high to get to iRacing levels?

3. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I still havent figured out what my mouse issues are. It has something to do with steamvr and windows mixed reality arguing with each other I think. Mouse in game will often get stuck at the "Select track" button when changing tracks. If it works once it will work the whole session, but every single time the mouse goes unresponsive, it's at "select track" and it freezes there.

Anyone else seen this? Pretty sure it's a WMR -> Steam VR bug, not an automobilista 2 bug.

Edit: Windows/Cortana Search box is opening up in the background and taking precedence over the game. I'll have to figure out how to disable that.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  4. Eduardo

Eduardo New Member AMS2 Club Member

Texture Filtering: Anisotropic 16x
    Can anyone see a difference between the texture filtering at 2x or 16x? For me it seems the same

5. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

Yes, look at the road or at a wall on your side (stand), and move slowly your car forward. at x2 you will see kind of border, a change in the texture quality at around 2 meters from you miving with your car, x4 it will be a little further, etc. and x16 no limit visible. Honestly I'm using Trilinear as in VR I can't catch any difference between x16 and trilinear. Be sure to reboot your game even if it don't ask for it when changing filtering texture, it's only take in account if you relaunch.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries New Member

Try 2.999999 - thats what i did and honestly its ALMOST as good as iRacing in VR for me now. I do have a 9900KS and 2080Ti, so i set some of the specs higher, but go back to page 14, and use those settings. See how it looks for you. Lift up any specs you think you can push further:
    VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

7. Guilherme

Guilherme New Member AMS2 Club Member

Mirrors look like screen projections

AMS2 was my first experience in VR and it looks amazing. But one thing I noticed is that mirrors don't look realistic, but at first I didn't know why.

Now I think I figured why. It seems that mirrors are like screen projections (flat) instead of real mirrors. For example, in real mirrors, when I look a distant car in the mirror, my eyes are focused on far away. But in the game I need to focus on the mirror itself (which is very close) in order to see the cars, which is not realistic, unless the mirror was a screen projecting the image from a camera.

This is most noticeable in cars with interior mirror (rearview mirror) as it is closer to the eyes.

I'm using enhanced mirrors on, but I don't see any difference.

I believe that fixing this would improve the immersion in VR a lot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

I agree, and don't know any Sim having real 3D mirrors (any ?), but probably the cost of CPU/GPU will be really heavy to get 3D mirrors...

9. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

AC with CSP has 3D mirrors in VR - they are amazing! You can even see your virtual self moving about in them.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Do yourselves a favour and download Live For Speed (it's free to try).
    Although the sim itself is pretty old by todays standards, its still very playable.

But the VR application of the mirrors is astonishing, and the best i've seen in any sim.
    Accurately provding a 3d stereoscopic view for each mirror, and reflecting the driver and movement in real time.

This is what i would be looking for in a sim being released in 2020.
    Please look at this again for a future update post release Reiza.
    It's huge in VR

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

I have AC and LFS but didn't launch them recently. I need to check that, thanks! They probably have more headroom for such features due to the older engine (my fps are stellar on those ones even in VR).

12. Guilherme

Guilherme New Member AMS2 Club Member

I just checked LFS and mirrors look great, indeed. I was also surprised by how much better it performs, like 20 times faster (< 0.5 ms vs around 9.0 ms in AMS2).

13. eSTee3

eSTee3 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm surprised that you're surprised :D

LFS is a hella-old game with far less polygons to push and therefore, allows for huge amounts of unused graphical overhead. This does make me want a "VR" mode for games, where AA is turned way up, but polygon counts are fractioned. Not crazy low like Daytona USA, but a happy medium where all the physics are intact and the must-have visuals (ie: track, cars, trees) are there.

I'm just so taken back as to why companies haven't done that yet :mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Twinz

Twinz Member

I would like to be able to set graphics on a track/weather /time combo basis.

When it's not raining and sunny, my 1080ti/reverb combo can handle a lot more eye candy. If I want to ensure good frame rates at night in the rain, I would need to turn a lot of settings down.

It would be nice if I could enjoy what my system was able to handle with each track/time/weather combo. I guess it could only apply to settings that don't require a restart, but it would otherwise be helpful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Timothy Dalton

Timothy Dalton New Member

Hi guys do we have any good VR overlays supported im really missing good relative data etc.

16. Baku

Baku Member

Check the SimHub Support thread. Depending on the VR SDK you use (Steam/Oculus) you can run the customized overlays/dashboards with the SimHub.

17. Twinz

Twinz Member

I had this problem using my Reverb with PC2 and AMS2. The "fix" was changing "PointerSwitchTime" in the open VR xml file to a crazy high number. I also disabled automatic select with gaze control to where the VR cursor shows but will not select anything without me pressing a button on my wheel.

18. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Two things regarding VR:

1) I would like a key combination to reset my view in VR and then keep that in meomory until I reset it again via the keys combination.

2) I would like to see my own car in the mirror reflection. It really detracts from realism when the mirror in an F1 car does not show your own car.

19. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

This is what the VR reset control already does. If it drifts that is down to the tracking of your VR hardware/software, not the game itself. Happens to most of use from time to time.

20. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I tried a race with a bunch of Formula V12's in the rain and my computer pretty much burst into tears. What kind of hardware do you need to run in the rain? This is a new build of mine, so I dont foresee any real upgrades coming, but I was curious as to what it would realistically take. I've got MSAA on low, and most everything else kind of middle of the road, pretty close to whatever it defaulted to when I installed it. I am sure it just depends on settings... but I am still curious what it would take to run with out of the box settings. Probably depends on the headset resolution too, I guess...