1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. F.Santos

F.Santos Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Found myself lowering FX (75 to 70) cos the wheel felt too busy/noisy, got it back to a level more recognisable of what was going on in terms of overall FFB before, but then details like the painted green areas in Interlagos felt slightly lighter, harder to notice. Could be that it's been lost or shadowed by the rolling noise maybe.
    Didn't test it for very long thou, going back to the previous file later today to compare.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

HI Santos,

That makes sense, the last one you upped the FX and this was prob. due to the bug that caused some effects to not play as they should.
    We will lower the csw setti gs in the file based on your feedback!

Cheers!

• Like Like x 2
  3. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

I think the current custom ffb file @Karsten Hvidberg and I have been working on is reaching it's zenith with mostly fine tuning left now. However I have felt that it has become overly complex and difficult to work on. There are some features that I have thought of that won't fit into the current structure and would get muddled with all the other effects.

As a result I've decided to start my own custom file. I'll still contribute to the collaborative file to provide any bug fixes and input required, but I'll be actively developing the new file.

This one is much more streamlined with direct and separable effects and strength controls. Should be a lot easier to tailor to different wheels and individual preferences. I will add specific files for belt and gear wheels if there are better default values for them and a consensus emerges.

The main feature of this new file is how the front wheel load values are used to enhance the rack force. The load and brake force is applied to enhance the self aligning torque under heavy braking / high down force situations / compressions etc.

Tested at many car and track combos but especially at Oulton Park using the Ultima GTR Race, and good enough for the WR :)

"Gunboat Diplomat [LOU]" V1.0

Gunboat Diplomat [LOU] is a Special Circumstances ship mind / craft
    from the novel The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks
    Its name is a play on the gunboat diplomacy concept

Features:

* Load based rack force amplification
    - Increases the rack force applied when the load on the front wheels increases
    such as high down force cars and when using heavy braking.
    - Control over micro and macro details (road texture and small bumps)
    - Wheel load and brake influence on rack easily controllable

* The strength of the effects below are affected by the FX slider on the Force Feedback page in game

* Gyroscopic forces
    - Simulates the increased resistance to turning the wheels at high speeds
    - Helps to stabilise steering at high speeds
    - Reduce oscillation of FFB at speeds

* Kerb effects
    - Added kerb effect that more closely matches the audio kerb effect

* Scrub effect
    - Adds subtle vibrations when tyres start to lose grip e.g. braking, under steer, over steer, wheel spin
    - Front and rear scrub effects independently controllable

* Engine vibration
    - Controls for how strong force is at rest and at speed

* No fake road effects, all road texture is from the actual track

New version available. Get it below or find it here.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 11
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. sherpa25

sherpa25 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Might not be close or related, but coming from using 'Deliverance', from your experience between using the previous ffb_custom_settings and this, how are the current values for Gain/LFB affected (ie. higher/lower LFB)? Or totally different? Will try this tom. Thanks!

5. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

First a big big thank you to you guys working on these custom ffb settings.
    I really liked Karsten's last iteration and like your most recent one even more @NuScorpii. The only problem with both for me is the driving on stones feeling. Turning down FX helps decrease it but it also decreases everything else which I don't want. But overall I don't think I've ever had such confidence in driving and really pushing race cars. The feel is truly fantastic. If I had to make a constructive criticism then it would be a little too much noise in the feel at the wheel and a bit stronger the centering forces (which is very much a subjective need rather than complaint)
    I'm using Gain:45; FX:40; LFB:10; Spring:0; and a standard profile for AMS 2 provided by SimExperience thru the SimCommander software.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you tried reducing the micro and macro details?
    I like this Gunboat file a lot, the road feel is great as it is, cornering at speed loads up a bit too much so reducing gyro helped I think.
    Was happy to see the load under braking included, but not feeling anything sadly, even with brake load at 1.
    Very impressed overall though.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jean-Yves Mercy

Jean-Yves Mercy Active Member AMS2 Club Member

NuScorpii, I like your file very much, but like Neal I will try to lower the noise effect without losing the feeling of suspension and bumps in the road.
    There is one problem though: if I lower the LFB completely to zero, the steering wheel pulls hard to the right, and that can even be dangerous for the DD steering wheels, I don't know, I only have a CSW.

8. NuScorpii

@neal As @Alegunner68 says try lowering the micro and macro details e.g.:

(micro_details 0.2)
    (macro_details 0.2)

Also the engine scale is a bit high for some so try this too:

(engine_scale_slow 0.5)
    (engine_scale_fast 0.01)

• Like Like x 2
  9. NuScorpii

Thanks! It still uses one of the core concepts that Karsten introduced - splitting up the rack force and applying transformations individually - but the transformation for the main rack force is completely new.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. NuScorpii

Most of the load under braking actually comes from the weight transfer increasing the front wheel load so the braking load part is actually only a small part of that. I'll think of ways to increase the feeling further though...

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. NuScorpii

Reiza have acknowledged a bug with the FFB currently that can cause hard right issues. It happens for the default too. There is also a bug with the LFB that if it is set to 0 will filter out low forces.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. Richard Busch

Richard Busch New Member

Thanks for all you guys have done.
    Has anyone thought about making a stand alone program/mod to allow people to easily edit their own custom file, or make changes to what has already been done?

13. Caetano Paiva

Caetano Paiva New Member

14. Caetano Paiva

Caetano Paiva New Member

Muto Obrigado você e todos aqui que estão trabalhando e testando ajustes!
    Fiz o Download do ffb_custon, e mais tarde quero testar, antes eu alterei um parâmetro que acho muito importante para os Logitech, acredito que os ajustes devem partir sempre do principio de eliminar o dead zone FFB, isso afeta o ajuste para quem quer refinar o FFB.

min_force = 0.14

Obrigado a todos!

15. F.Santos

@Karsten Hvidberg , @NuScorpii it seems like Reiza changed the calibration of the scrub related parameters no? I was trying to use "more equals" in this 9.6 and the wheel almost vibrated out of my hands under breaking!:eek::eek::eek:

16. NuScorpii

Not sure, does appear that the effects are slightly stronger...

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. NuScorpii

Quick update for Gunboat Diplomat - Removed - see here for latest update

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. NuScorpii

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  19. F.Santos

There was an incredibly harsh rubber feel around corners with the new file, but with yours adjusting down on scrub and others I got it to a good level, LFB I think between 30-40.

Sitting in the pits with the engine on if I turn the wheel it oscillates a lot like, it bounces from side to side, If I reduce LFB it improves, but like close LFB01 you still have it. Plus I don't wanna lose the small details. Have you experienced that?

The rolling noise like driving down the straights is almost not there, with Karstens file before I was able to get it back to some degree by raising FX, that doesn't seem to work in this file, do you have a separate parameter for that? I didn't find it in your summary. Thanks

20. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've noticed the wheel oscillation at standstill too, but don't want to change anything for fear of losing the good driving feel.

• Agree Agree x 1