1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Cfst

Cfst Active Member AMS2 Club Member

These files are well-loved by the sounds of it, and there have been so many iterations; super impressive that some people have the ability to highly customize the experience. I have not attempted testing a single one since they are updated at a faster rate than builds come out :D

Might I suggest separate threads in the fashion of LEXXVR's custom files... respectfully, of course. It seems now with two standalone files that this could be simpler for the slow guys (like myself). One could just go to the thread of the author, maybe those authors could append the most recent iteration by date to the OP etc etc. This way not only could the suggestions for changes or specific questions be separated by thread, thereby reducing the complexity to follow along...but the advice for further tuning could be separated and easier to follow as well. A polite reminder that the previous thread ran up to 70+ pages, surely burying lots of pertinent and valuable information in the process..

@NuScorpii @Karsten Hvidberg

This could surely be an awful suggestion. In which case simply ignoring this post would suffice, rather than sparking a hotly contested internet debate.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Thank you , will try tomorrow now , i need sleep . Thanks mate :)

3. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That was with fx down to zero. Just did a race at Donnington in a stock car, what great ffb feeling thanks! No rattling in those cars. Still think the f3s and possibly other formula cars need some work.

4. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Don't worry mate it's not just you who feels a bit thick when looking at the intricacies !

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

This *is* the thread for nuscorpii and Karsten custom files and the format allows for the necessary context and discussion to take place for improvements.

For now I’d suggest working backwards for the latest iterations. The large file (23+kb) is the collaborative “original” development and the smaller one (5+kb) is nuscorpii’s streamlined version.

They are both friendly to all wheel types so keep an eye on discussions/messages from users with your wheel and take it from there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Cfst

They are working on two standalone files, so I thought it might be okay to suggest separate threads. Thanks for the heads up.

7. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Hey kkdrummer,

Maybe try this one, it's simpler(closer to default, but still with most things in place & might work well for you for now in those places "Simply Smooth":

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

The smaller NuScorpii version is always available in post #3, along with a full changelog. Personally, I think it would make life much easier for Karsten to do the same for the large version, in post #2. That way people could get the latest files and know what has been changed without having to backtrack through numerous, confusing posts.

Anyway, took a break from AMS 2 for a while so have only just had a chance to try the files since they were separated. I have to say that for me, @NuScorpii has got it spot on with the simplified file. While I have never been a fan of Reiza's three-slider zero-customisation approach, I wasn't a fan of the PCars 50 slider approach either. For me that's where the large file is now. It's just trying to be too clever, doing too much, providing vast number of variables which most end-users won't really understand the meaning of, despite the vague descriptions. Great overall achievement, but not for me. It actually felt somewhat worse than the default profile on my T300 too, and I have no interest in spending hours messing with all those variables to try and get it feeling any good. :confused:

But Heavy Messing feels excellent and for me does just what I want it to. It improves the overall FFB in a significant but relatively subtle manner, and provides roughly the same level of customisation you see in other sims without bamboozling the end-user. I barely needed to tweak anything, and using 80/40/50 in-game, it feels fantastic. Great job mate! :cool:

• Like Like x 7
  9. Karsten Hvidberg

Cfst,

It's ok, I've got 2 projects, wife & 3 kids going on in my life already & really have no time for this, so will stop posting shortly anyways :)

Cheers!

10. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree with your in game settings for the T300.

Now I need to figure out how Nemesis69 finds an extra 3 seconds per lap with a sprint car...on literally every track.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ah! This is why the wheel has a short delay before the FFB kicks in and begins to tighten up as you drive! I noticed this immediately when trying this file yesterday. Really good stuff you have going here. It's a different feel from the big file, but I like the differences between the two flavours to be honest.

12. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

:eek::(

I hope that doesn't happen but, know that your work here is appreciated.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Cfst

Please don't misunderstand a mere suggestion , I was not taking a stab at anyone. Thanks for your contributions, everyone

14. Cfst

Oops. Quoted wrong post. Anyway.

15. Karsten Hvidberg

Thanks Dean,

I will try to find time to add tweaks, clean up & add in new stuff from @NuScorpii 's small file. I just won't do much more actual development. Sorry, should not have said not posting at all. Just not as much & with more focus on tweaks.
    But it depends if people find the added functionality useful or not, really.

No worries

Didn't think anything bad of it.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Glyn Goold

Glyn Goold Member AMS2 Club Member

I definitely wouldn't dampen my wheel, water and electricity don't mix ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Caetano Paiva

Caetano Paiva New Member

It's getting really good!
    Set a Min_force 0.14 (good value for logitech), that is, the best of the central force that does not exist because of the dead zone of logitech. There is only one "cut" left for this min_force, which now appears in the center of the force.

In AMS1 I used these settings:

"This value helps to remove the cut in the center of the force, is it possible to implement this?"
    FFB steer force neutral range="0.19000" // Max distance from center "neutral force" location where forces are reduced to help avoid oscillation (0.0 to disable)

"MIN_FORCE"
    FFB steer force neutral function="0.14500" // Function to apply near neutral force location, in order to tune out FFB "deadzone" but keeping oscillations in check: 0.0=original, 1.0=new

18. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

What's crazy is that I'm running basically the exact same settings you are with this file while we were getting such different results with the other.

If you figure this out, let me know too! I've been chasing his times in the Sprint Car as well! :D

I'm in the same boat man with the wife and 3 kids part - extra time does become limited indeed. Thanks though for all your work on this! I like the big file and having the ability to dig in deep and tweak the file to my liking. This is already greatly appreciated, but will be even more so if AMS 2 continues with it's lack of flavour options going forward. I plan to make AMS 2 my primary sim going forward over the next several years - I simply don't have the time for iRacing these days - and this only makes the sim better and will likely continue to do so.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Manuel Staedel

Manuel Staedel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello Karsten, how it the fastest way, you get changes of the ffb file into the game? I hope to edit something and change to default and back to custom, but i thing, we have to leave the whole game and restart it from steam. right?

20. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Just to be clear on this, both files deal with clipping and prevent you from clipping however you set the sliders. However in the big file it is done simply by scaling down the effect of the sliders so you will get lower force across the board and not be able to get as high of an output force as the default, similar to just reducing the gain slider. With Heavy Messing it uses special functions to taper the forces towards the clipping point so you will keep the high gain but never lose the detailed information either.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2