1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm really liking the changes made to this file! The constant noise issues I was having has been alleviated and there does seem to be a much better balance between the LFB and FX effects now. Also, with the clipping limit changes I can now utilize higher Gain settings for open wheel cars. The combination of all of this means that for the first time in AMS 2 I've been able to run the V10 and have the same level of confidence in the car as with the GT cars. These files just continue to get better and better! Thanks again guys!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Steve D

Steve D New Member

@NuScorpii @Karsten Hvidberg Good morning fellas. Just playing 'catch up' after a few days away. Looks like a ton of progress has been made. Do you guys ever sleep? :)

Quick question. Is 'Measured Response' an update to 'Heavy Messing' or are both files standalone?

Cheers!

3. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

They are each their series, but highly related.

The small files are "NuScorpii solo" files that he controls, trying to keep it simple.

The big files provide additional effects, multiple wheel type settings in the same file, adds "smart" slider control and all effects are weights based instead of absolute. Also tries to detect wheels off road and disable effects based on that.
    The big file is a collaborative effort.

They are tweaked slightly different.

Just try both, look at the top where you can make adjustments and see what you like.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 3
  4. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

As Karsten says, they are standalone developments.

The series of which Heavy Messing is the most recent is designed to be simpler using only effects that make a positive and noticeable difference. This means it is easier to setup due to fewer variables to tweak and you are less likely to mask subtle effects with others. It currently has a much more advanced clipping algorithm that prevents the loss of details and effects even when using high gain with the F-Ultimate. This will probably make it's way into the other file at some point though.

At the end of the day they are different flavours, so try both.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. NuScorpii

Cool, you've merged some of my new developments :cool:

One of them is actually a huge breakthrough in what we can do with the custom ffb files so is worth detailing here for reference and for anyone else that is trying to do similar things.

The currently accepted thinking of how the custom ffb works is that every time it is run through it starts fresh, all variables are assigned and you can only operate on the inputs to create an output. i.e. a function that can be made fairly complex. This works for most effects where you are just influencing the shape or scale of the input. However for the load based effects I was working on you needed to have a reference weight of the vehicle otherwise the effects would be blown out of proportion between light and heavy vehicles (There isn't a static weight for the vehicles provided, just the real time load of the front wheels). One way around this was to use the smoothing function to give a kind of average over time, but we don't know how the smoothing function works and it leads to odd effects such as ghost force from previous high load situations.

What I managed to find out was how to persist variables across runs through the file. This allows you to create counter variables. That in turn opens up the ability to write custom averaging functions allowing a much more accurate and static average front load weight for a vehicle.

Down to the specifics:

If you declare or use a variable but don't initialise it, it will be auto initialised to 0.0 the first time it is used. So if you do this:

(new_var new_var)

The first run through the file will assign 0.0 to new_var and assign new_var to itself. You can use this to make a counter:

(counter (+ counter 1.0))

However, the variables do not get reset between different vehicles being loaded so a way is needed to reset it. This can be done by using the inbuilt variable et - elapsed time. This gives the elapsed time from the start of the current session. So to reset the counter we can do this:

(counter (+ counter 1.0))
    (counter (if (max 0 (- et 0.5)) (counter) (0.0) ))

This will start counting from 0.5s into the current session. You can then calculate a running average of the front load weight to determine if the car is under heavy load or light:

(moving_avg (+ moving_avg 0.0))
    (moving_avg (if moving_avg moving_avg f_load_avg))
    (moving_avg (+ (* moving_avg (/ (- counter 1.0) counter)) (* f_load_avg (/ 1.0 counter))))

And then compare that to the real time FL/FR_loads.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ignore. Double post.

7. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Suggestion: Make these 2 file branches easily distinguishable by their naming, by following some sort of theme or convention.

Eg: All files derived from Gunboat Diplomat could begin with the word 'Gun' or have a boat reference in the title. Even a letter prefix like 'A' / 'B' or the Red / Blue file would be useful.

Loving your work guys!

8. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

What !
    Seriously though , thanks so much to both of you geniuses for the hard work you have put in . Have really enjoyed this thread and testing out the fruits of your labour

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Karsten Hvidberg

Update on the big file:

A smoothing function has been missed(at least by me) for a while in AMS2.
    After Reiza's downgrade on the ffb update rate the ride has felt even more rough than ever, so @NuScorpii 's discovery of persisting state between runs could not have come at a better time :)

Now it is simple stuff to add something like well-controlled smoothing functionality.

* Merged NuScorpii's Sigmoid stuff for the rack.
    * Added smooth function. Rack force final result now a combination of the the last 3 runs, based on specific weights.

If you want to change the smoothing you can go to the "Smooth rack" section & adjust.

Custom FFB file attached "Smooth Rider":

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Okay , i have no idea what you just said or how i am supposed to change or what it changes ! Im not sure why im so slow at understanding what is being said here but i be confused ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like Like x 1
  11. NuScorpii

Heh, don't worry, it's more for people who want to make their own files. There's nothing to change here for an end user.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Cully

Cully Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Some seriously knowledgeable and talented guys in here doing amazing work, thanks so much guys.
    Sadly im not blessed with a high end wheel but my G29 still feels pretty decent but i really dont know if these constant updates are beneficial for a G29?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Karsten Hvidberg

Hi Cully,

Yes, they are.
    Clipping is dealt with and in the big file clipping is guaranteed to not happen no matter how you put your sliders too.

So go ahead :)
    In the big file there is a setting you can define to specify your wheel base, that is prob. importantfor your wheel base if you use that file.

Cheers!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Thanks mate :)
    I tried the big file (smooth rider) i set road rumble and engine enhance to 0.0 and put a 1.0 in for my CSWv2 and used the recommended 70/65/75, it feels good i guess but still a lot of noise , grain vibrations from track surface and i guess its scrub from understeer .
    Do you know how i can just get simple wheel getting light when understeering or locking brakes instead of the grain scrub feeling and remove the track vibrations ? In older builds even if i didnt feel the rumble of the track surface i still could feel dips , lumps , crests and had a good feel for a bumpy track but now it just feels like artificial track vibration :(

15. Cully

Cully Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That is just fantastic, again thanks so much for your efforts.

16. Karsten Hvidberg

Yes, the rumble effect can be disabled at the top: "road_rumble_fx" set it to 0.0.
    Reg. the scrub try changing:
    (sf_s 0.55) to (sf_s 0.70)
    and
    (sr_s 0.52) to (sr_s 0.65)

Cheers!

• Like Like x 2
  17. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

hm, still using one of your old files and am fine with it. can feel the road much better than with the new one, but i guess it is a matter of personal taste. thanks for your efforts. :)

18. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

@NuScorpii

I tested "Heavy Messing" last night and find it to work extremely well with my SC1 DD-wheel. It seems to have removed the tendency for what "chunky" factor remains in the FFB (with cars that have a tendency to bounce), resulting in FFB that really feels seamless now.

Thank you for sharing your work! :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I tried rumblefx at 0 but the crazy rattling is still present. I tested the F3 301 at Donington. I think it has to do with the car and maybe the track as I've tried several of your files and nothing can remove the rattling. Ffb overall feels great though, thanks.

20. Karsten Hvidberg

Ah, then lower your in-game FX, possibly to down around 50, if you have it high.
    That should work!

• Like Like x 2