1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V0.9.6.0 RELEASED, now updated to v0.9.6.1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Aaron Green

Aaron Green Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Use NuScorpii custom file. Fixes everything. Default feels awful in comparison. Plus, speaking of awful, what happened to the F3 cars. They're like rally cars now. Such a shame.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

+1
    Thought I'd lost my rear wing when I first drove it on Brands again.

However, strangely, on Kyalami, when I did two or three laps there in a practice session, the F3 felt far better than it did on Brands. Maybe that's just me though, as I'm not that big a fan of Brands Hatch.

3. Daniel Escalona

Daniel Escalona Member

They finally addressed the steel brake heating!!!

Thank you very much Reiza. Nowadays very few developers remain with such attention to detail and commitment to their community.
    All my respect to you guys.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Active Member

After release v0.9.6.1 the cars act in a strange way, the driving has become more unpredictable, it looks like there is a lateral force acting all the time that makes you lost the control in an unatural way. I find the driving less homogeneous than before and it's more difficult to be accurate.

For me, it feels like the tire's carcas is less stifff than before, producing lateral and vertical movment that in some circunstances works like a spring.

Another rare thing on the graphic side, is that tires seems to be on the air sometimes (even the outside tires as show in the attached image). I'm not sure if this has started with this release or with 0.9.6.0 when the suspension movement were added.

Another thing to notice, is that now there are sporadic video stuttering

[​IMG]

5. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Tyre scrub is linked to FX slider - up the FX setting to get more of it.

If you delete your profile, the default speed sensitivity you initially get is the same as it was before.

As per changelog, rear wing efficiency was reduced as much of the downforce had been innacurately concentrated on the base wing with no angle - to get the same downforce and balance from before you may need to increase your rear wing angle.

EDIT: apologies, it seems like a similar adjustment to the front wing of both models didn´t make it in for this update so there is currently some inherent aero inbalance for both F3s - will be rectified in the next update.

I´m afraid there hasn´t been any change to the F-Vintage tyres from v0.9.6. The left wheel not visually touching the track is likely a track graphics glitch, we´ll look into that.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Are you talking about all cars or mostly the F-Vintage? I think I am feeling what you describe about the tire carcass in the F-Vintage, but not in other cars I have driven so far.

First, the F-Vintage now finally feels like what I thought it should fee like! The recent changes have transformed it into a car you can manage as opposed to feeling like you were holding on for dear life to wherever it wanted to go. It can be tamed and pointed and squirted....lovely!

However, there is a slight "springy" feeling that I get that corresponds to the car's shifting weight laterally. It's almost as if the SAT forces over-correct and you get a little kickback. This could feel like a soft or partially deflated carcass issue through some hardware I am sure. On my wheel by contrast, the tires finally feel like there is a carcass and treads biting into the pavement instead of floating over it. The F-Vintage G1M1 is now a 9/10 instead of a 5/10 mostly due to much more realistic tire feel.

If this improved tire feel translates into some other effect on different wheels, I wonder why? Do you have a DD wheel or a belt or gear wheel? I am belt. I can imagine this wriggle force could be exaggerated on a DD wheel. It may also be something that will get refined because it is like a lesser version of the "pendulum effect" that sometimes comes through on the taller heavier vehicles like the SuperV8. The F-Vintage has fairly soft suspension compared to modern open-wheelers. It has a lot of ride height. It is actually tippy compared to any newer open-wheeler (except maybe the F-Vee).

Does this carcass issue correspond with the taller and/or heavier vehicles?

7. Damian Baldi

@Marc Collins I drive with a G29. I bought AMB2 three weeks ago, I usually drive on open races with F-Classic, SuperV8, StockCarv8, P2, P4 or even turism cars, but my interest at the moment are the F-Vintage cars as I have been a long time driver of GPL back in the early 2000s.

As I wrote in my early messages since I joined the forum, I find on the F-Vintage cars good sensations at the steering wheel and a feeling difficult to find with other cars. I'm not saying that sensations at the steering wheel are wrong, but some reactions of the cars seem to be exagerated, or maybe the idea with these car is to emulate GPL that was a very fun and exiting game, but it had many debts about realism.

One of the things I like about F-Vintage is that you can't exploit the cars as in other games, the limit is there and you can't overdrive all the time. How that limit is represented is what I find wrong.

Currently I find the cars really nice to drive at some tracks and almost impossible in others, completely erratic, unpredictable and sliding on an extange way. With the last release the engine power output was reduced making the cars easier but the handling still feels unrealistic. The way the tires slide seem erratic.

The way the cars are today are just for a short fun race, I would like to have long races or be part of a championship. For that, some things should be addressed while the game isn't a final version. In example, the brakes should be made as they used to be, fat, robust and with big thermal inertia. With the last release the brakes now glow as a GT3, and you have to set the "brake duct" to 100%, something that didn't exist in those days. Throttle response is another item to take in mind, at low RPM speed the engines overreact. There isn't almost engine brake neither.

If the cars are realeased this way, it's fine, the game will have cars from the 60s. But when you see that 70% of the drivers that join a server can't complete a lap after many tries, that tells something.

8. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't agree that the cars can't be overdriven in AMS2, it seems to me the only way to drive them fast is to overdrive them more so than in AC at least. I do agree about engine braking though and have posted about it in the past. You can be coasting in 2nd whilst cornering and downshift to 1st without a blip and the car only pulls a little to the side.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SuperMonaco_GP

SuperMonaco_GP Active Member

the exact same thing happened in pcars2.

another thing directly ported from pcars2 is the clutch, or better a bad implementation of how the clutch should work. I remember a video on yt made by Reiza months before ams2 beta release about a "grinding transmission", which I suppose is a feature we will never actually see ingame.

there, I found the video :

also, I wish v12 formula would really drive like this :

anyway, yesterday I did a complete reinstall of ams2 (and booted up to the latest update and hotfix) and ffb felt like it used to before 0.9.6 on Simucube2, so for anyone having some issues with the same wheel I suggest doing the same.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Aaron Green

Aaron Green Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Agreed. For the most part the cars really respond to being grabbed by the scruff of the neck and to wrestle the time out of the car. That element i love.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Andy-R

I kind of wish we had to finesse the F Vintage a bit more but it is certainly good fun :)

12. Marc Collins

I think a big clue is the brake ducts. This is a classic example of how Reiza works due to their small team. Brake ducts get implemented globally so that the overall behaviour can be understood and calibrated. Same probably with disc glow. Then, one-by-one, the series will get updated and tweaked to reflect the reality for them. I will be very shocked if the F-Vintages keep brake ducts as an actual option in the future. What I believe will happen is that brake duct will become "greyed-out" or a non-selectable option and fixed at 100% (or maybe they will really get good and it will disappear completely from the set-up menu).

The most intriguing part of what you wrote is the variation from one track to another you are experiencing. Can you please list the exact car you are using and several tracks with whatever it is that is different (grip level presumably, so use a high, medium, low or something like that). It would be great to get feedback from others that corroborates what you are saying--including whether the same effect is true for other cars (which would then suggest it is a track grip setting issue). Of course, I assume you are already aware that track elevation affects the engine output in AMS 2, so really high elevation tracks like Kyalami might seem like there is more grip, but it is just an artifact of having less power. Some tracks are almost sea level, so they will have the highest power. Too bad we can't manually change the elevation before we go to a track to try out the opposite ends of the spectrum as a test :)

13. Andy-R

Snetterton 200 always feels slippery to me but could well be placebo/the nature of the circuit.

14. Marc Collins

How about 300 and 100?

Not joking--a simple variable could get messed-up that reduces the grip on standard pavement. On the other hand, Snett is a smooth, recently paved track, so I would expect it to be on the slippy end of the spectrum.

15. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The physics of V12 in the video is more like it is in AMS1. If it is more realistic or not in AMS1 it's more a challenge to control the car. I'm missing it a bit in AMS2.
    And if you compare these V12 cars with todays cars:
    In 1995 they had a 3.5l engine, not so much power than today but with much more torque especially in lower revs. Today with their 1.5l turbo-engine, there's much more power with high rev but more or less no torque in low rev.

16. Damian Baldi

This is an example about what I was talking about. Try this, put 50 litres on the tank and do 20-30 laps. After 10 laps the car changes a lot. You loose it just by moving the wheel a bit at any corner.

I have being doing some laps at Curitiba. It start well but after some laps you can't almost drive, it's a lotery, even if you decrease the rhythm by 3-4 seconds per lap. When the tires reach 2.0 bars of pressure things become subrealistic.

[​IMG]

17. Marc Collins

Are the tires wearing out in terms of feel and performance, but not showing it on the indicator? Of course, these are very durable tires, so that should not happen.

Are the tires inflating as you drive until they get above 2 bar, or do you mean if you put that pressure in the set-up and then drive it?

18. Damian Baldi

The tires had 98% left after the test. I started with 1.6 bars but the pressure start to rise quickly. If you stop at track, you can see the pressure rising very fast and then it reduces when the car rolls again. The thing is that 1.6 bars it's just 23 PSI, a very soft tire, and 2.0 bars is about 31PSI, a reazonable pressure. However, with 2.0 bars the car doesn't handle well and it start to do those extrange things and reactions.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Andy-R

Not sure, I haven't driven them as much. I just had the thought at Snett 200 that the track felt less grippy. It has some tricky braking zones and entries so it could just be the circuit itself.

20. SuperMonaco_GP

SuperMonaco_GP Active Member

agree, but it was a promo video for ams2, not 1...