1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

When starting AMS2 in VR (Valve Index), every time I choose a car, AMS2 stops responding. I have to alt+tab and click the AMS2 tray icon, then it runs fine. It's the only title where I'm having the issue in VR.

Never had any issues with the Rift so, could be related to SteamVR / OVR?

2. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

Also using Index but never experience this issue. (Not sure if this is helpful!)

3. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Check if you have the SteamVR always on top option active and disable it. Also move the SteamVR window to the side to be sure it's not accidentally activated by you in VR. The AMS 2 window has to be the active window.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

The SteamVR (always on top) was active so, we'll see if disabling that helps.
    Thanks for the tip!;)

Update: That seems to have solved the issue. :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  5. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, I've done a lot of tinkering with the settings, but my main issues at the moment are 1( the image looks pixelated in general, and 2) there is A LOT of shimmering/shifting of the image past 100 perceived yards or so. No issues whatsoever with frame rates. 65% GPU utilization at the highest so far. Which settings should I change to help the image out the most given the two main things I listed?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  6. Gagaryn

What are your current settings?
    Once I know what they are it will be easier to suggest what to change.

7. Chip

Thank you so much for the reply and assistance. Last race I used the following settings with SteamVR resolution set to 100%, and sharpening within the XMS set to 2.900. I also setup my Nvidia control panel using the settings linked earlier (thanks so much @mist3rf0ur !).

I can't recall the effects settings, but I can edit this post with them included tomorrow.

@Gagaryn, are you still using the following settings: VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback? I haven't tried them yet since I figured my PC couldn't hang with yours, but perhaps it would be worth a shot. Open to any and all suggestions.

Performance Settings
    Resolution:
    1920x1080 60Hz
    Windowed: No
    Texture Resolution: High
    Texture Filtering: Trilinear
    V-Sync: No
    MSAA: Medium
    Post AA: Off
    Supersampling: Off
    Reflections: Medium
    Environment Map: Medium
    Car Detail: High
    Track Detail: High
    Pit Crew Detail: All
    Shadow Detail: Low
    Enhanced Mirror: No
    Motion Blur: Off
    Render Frames Ahead: 1
    Detailed Grass: Off
    Particle Level: High
    Particle Density: High

8. Gagaryn

No, I've changed my settings a bit.
    Everything in Nvidia CP is still default.
    Sharpening strength in XML file is now 0.8.
    SS in Steam VR now reduced to 1.2. (still off in game)
    MSAA bumped to High.
    Environment map, car detail and track detail all now Ultra
    Reflections and Shadows on High
    Grass on Medium (otherwise it is always visibly popping up in front of the car on some tracks)

If I was you the first thing I would change would be your texture filtering. Second would be shadow detail. Two thing to note are that dawn and dusk impact performance more than night time. Overcast weather impacts performance more than rain. Both seem weird to me but this is the case.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chip

Thank you so much for the updated settings! I copied all of your settings exactly to get a baseline for image quality. The only exception was that I kept all the Nvidia control panel changes recommended in the YouTube video, but turned the image sharpening setting to off.

The problems I was encountering before are mostly gone, and the image looks the best it has yet!

As expected, my computer cannot really hang with yours, and I'm at a reprojection ratio of 20% after a few solo hot laps on a clear day.

What would be the the first setting to reduce to help FPS the most without ruining the image? SteamVR SS? Texture filtering? MSAA?

Thanks again for all of the help!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  10. Jean-Yves Mercy

Jean-Yves Mercy Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think the environment map may be lowered to the minimum, you will not see a difference visually, but there is a good chance that you gain a lot of FPS.

It was the case on PCars2, because there was a lot of reflection on the car bodies, maybe on AMS2 it will have less impact.

11. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I seem to have VR running pretty good on my system, only issue I am having is during a session when the menu overlays are active my GPU performance jumps up from 70% usage to low/mid 90% causing dropped frames and stuttering, than returns to mid 70% when back on track.
    Main menus are fine.

12. Gagaryn

I would leave texture filtering, it won't make a huge difference in performance but will hurt the image. You could reduce everything that I have on ultra to high - will save you a few frames and doesn't make a huge difference to the image - ultra is for bragging rights! Next thing to try is reducing SS back to 100% - that will give you a decent performance boost and with the XML sharpening the image will still be okay. Others will disagree, but I would change MSAA back to medium only if none of these changes work for you. Putting it on high does impact performance but it really helps the image.

• Like Like x 1
  13. cheese

cheese New Member

Hi All, thanks for a very useful thread. This is a good looking game in VR and MSAA is key as @Gagaryn has said. Couple of things from setting mine up:

Firstly shadows are killer for me. I turned them off completely before I was used to seeing them. The cars still have a pre-baked static shadow under them so they don't 'float'. E.g. Brands Hatch, 2nd corner hairpin just killed the machine and getting rid of them completely changed the performance. This maybe be linked to point 2:

It turned out I was often CPU limited, so big AI fields and hosting online were problematic. So definitely get fpsVR and keep an eye on it if you have mixed hardware like mine.

I'm 2070s with an i5-9600k.

Cheers

14. Kurupt CDN

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Would like to use my new Pimax 8k plus without PP (parallel projection). In RFactor2 the devs patched it and it brought lots of FPS...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kurupt CDN

I am fairly new to VR and don't know much about how it works....but anything that doesn't involve a $1000+ upgrade to get better performance is very welcomed :)

17. Mario Moretti

Mario Moretti Member AMS2 Club Member

Guys,
    the truth is that AMS2 is a great game and i love and support Reiza but the performances in VR are not absolutely satisfactory. (As they were in PC2 which I uninstalled for this).
    Iracing and AC in VR are graphically better (sharper) and despite the best visual quality much less demanding in terms of hardware.
    However, even with the best PC that can be assembled today (mine) I7 8700 5.1 mhz, Rtx 2080ti overclocked, 32 Gb ram 4 Mhz, all water-cooled, in VR AMS2 does not guarantee 90 constant FPS in all weather conditions and hourly unless you lower the graphic settings and SS to an unacceptable level for me.
    I am used to the sharpness of my HP reverb in Iracing and AC with SuperSampling at 190 and 300 respectively.
    Of course, there is no variable weather, night, rain but I am happy to drive only during the day with excellent visual quality rather than having all that features of AMS2 with very poor graphics.
    I hope in some magic from Renato...
    IMHO

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Gagaryn

19. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

To be honest AMS 2 is the best VR experience in modern racing games. There is no better experience as going from a cloudy day to rain in the last third of a race. Also some night racing for 24h (even shorted in 1h) events is spot on.

AMS 2 is supporting VR in a very good manner there are two graphics settings one for screen and one for VR so you don't have to change the settings going to VR or screen racing. The screen mirror is completely supported so you are able to change settings without the HMD.
    The HUD is on the fly movable in the options for the positions of single elements but also with the hotkeys its scalable in size and moveable in the distance even the angle of the HUD is customizable.
    Details in this post: VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback
    Support for Supersampling is in game without the need of external SteamVR Supersampling.

For this variability surely you have to dial in the settings correct most people start with to high settings for their hardware.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  20. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

Playing V1.0, I noticed in the stock cars and the Formula Retro, that it seemed like my head position was snapping around intermittently. Very small amounts... it almost seemed like a dropped frame, except that nothing weird was happening outside the car, and it kept happening... every 1-15 seconds it would do it. Wouldn't do it if the car was stationary. I booted into AC to see if I could replicate it, but I couldn't, so it's not a tracking issue.
    Anyone else notice anything like this?

I never noticed anything like this prior to v1.0, but that doesnt mean it wasnt there.

EDIT: Rolled back to nVidia 442.50 drivers and this head tracking problem disappeared. Odyssey Plus / WMR with an nVidia 2070 Super.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1