1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General AMS2 Release & Feedback Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Micropitt, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Problem is, when you go negative preload, it will be hard to lock the diff and you understeer on exit more.

2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The 1 million $ question now is, what happens with 0 pre-load, high degrees on coast ramp angle, and very low power ramp angle. :D

3. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Thats what I tried, it is very slightly better than default but still getting quite a lot of understeer on entry.

Issue with angles not being very effective doesnt help either.

4. CrimsonEminence

Is it becoming better on lower or higher revs?

Also tried reducing brake pressure by quite a bit and turnin brake bias a bit more to the rear?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  5. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Not sure what you mean about the revs?

Interesting thing I just tried... so I turned Viscous LSD down to 0Nm and it suddenly turned better???
    (with preload around 30Nm and coast angle above 80). Will do more tests but I thought Viscous LSD wasnt turned on as it was greyed out. Or is it just permanently on?

EDIT: looks like I was just imagining things, seems the same.

6. CrimsonEminence

A lower gear with higher revs...is it turning better or worse there?
    Also my edit could be a little bit of improvement for some corners:
    I have never fiddled with a viscous lock in my life in any sim, to be honest, this is indeed interesting, to know.

7. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I edited this it didnt make a difference in the end :) what made it better was the low preload. At around 30 its actually OK.
    (but definitely try negative, its at least fun to test)

It seems like this game works based on purely preload or something.
    When I change coast ramp angle, it doesnt make any difference. Tried both extremes but it was the same, just felt like its doing whatever I set preload to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CrimsonEminence

When i change power ramp angles, i definetly get differences out of corners. Into corners, it's a bit more problematic. You have to find a "sweetspot" under braking and the car starts to yaw into the corner, which you can use, to push it out on throttlecontrol. Without finding that "sweetspot", it's indeed difficult to understand.
    The thing is:
    Example Kyalami historic in laptimes. It seems, the qualy lap was a 1:16.1 in 76 while you can push something like the M23 to a 1:14 time, still with potential while top speeds are a bit lower, than reported real life counterparts, it seems, so the cars seem already a bit faster through corners, for example. I have no idea, what the differences are, after all.

9. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Viscous damping I think is there just for figure and it's (hopefully) not considered in calculating locking torque (it would make no sense otherwise).

Preload should make very low difference respect to ramp angles, at least in full gas and low gears on high power vehicles.

This is not the case here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Thing is, in almost all other sims I ever played and according to technical explanations of how Clutch LSD angles work, high coast angle should let your wheels rotate almost independently becuase its so difficult to lock the axles (due to high angle). Or am I misinterpreting? Im no mechanical engineer so could be just I dont understand full of course.

I had to make a video, tested this in rFactor2

Dont mind me driving style, just tested the turn in, first low locking low preload, nice and sharp, too sharp but thats what I wanted to test. Second high locking high preload, very difficult to get inside, drifting off to understeer, particularly the last bit on low lock I just nudge it in and on high lock i have to fight it and still understeer. I cannot get this clear behaviour in AMS2 without messing up with preload (to extremes or negative) and then angles almost dont seem to matter.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. CrimsonEminence

Yup, high coast angle is a opened up diff under lifting and brake torque.
    Your example with high lock under coast looks similar to the behaviour in AMS2, so i kind off get the impression right now, that indeed something is working strange on the differential.

@Renato Simioni
    Some observations, were made, that F-Retro could have still some anomalies, after discussing it here, some experiences are showing up pretty similar and some points in general came up, also some questions, it would be really awesome, if you could maybe please help with that, if your time allows this:

-Diff behaviour, especially under coasting is not working understandable. Some impressions came up, that coast ramp angle doesn't change that much in car behaviour, regarding turn-in.

-Is the negative pre-load setting possibility intended?

-Is pre-load that much more of an influence, than ramp angle settings and is the Clutch LSD the intended diff for the F-Retro class btw.?

-I saw the M23 still being pretty snappy and understeery on Brands Hatch (could be similar with other cars, on the bumpy side, though)

Is there any advice for improvements on the user side, regarding strong understeer into corners?

I hear and read quite some confusion about the F-Retro, even, while quite liking them by myself.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If only I had a decent telemetry tool (the one I bought and you know is terrible) and some time I could easily answer... :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. CrimsonEminence

If you want to check it with that anyway, i would recommend the tracks Kyalami Historic, Oulton Classic and Brands Hatch. For 3 laps each, the car should archieve its basic balance, after that, which improves a bit still, but is pretty much representative.

Maybe there could also still be something, we are not seeing yet, but the devs do.^^

I think, the Reiza Team has deserved a little break after the last days of torture until it's time again, to deal with us never stopping armchair racers! :D

14. Petrolhead

Petrolhead Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeh my bad, sorry

15. Petrolhead

Petrolhead Member AMS2 Club Member

Appologies for my tone had just come out the game.

Just looked abouve and yes see as admin post but to be fair does not seem to address things that have been brought up previously in this thread

Been out on track again and the track limits are just so wrong. If I clip a barrier, get slow down, go wide on the outside of a corner, get a slow down. Both these actions do not give me any advantage.

Been playing with friends and they too have notice the track limits have become too agrressive

16. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I did more tests today .. and in other cars, the changes actually work quite well. Ultima GTR for example is quite nice at this. Default preload, low angle makes it hard to turn in sharply and high angle makes it much nicer and tends to oversteer/over-rotate. Which gave me a bit of hope that the underlying clutch LSD setup mechanics arent broken.

I did more tests in M23 again and with the 2 extremes, it actually wasnt 'AS' bad as I remembered. But it wasnt very consistent. At 30 preload and very high angle (85 etc.) , I could make it turn in better than default, but still much less than AMS1 or rF2 equivalent and some times it would still drift off into understeer on coast.

And also it seems like tires are super difficult to warm up so it might just be losing grip overall.

17. CrimsonEminence

It's also track dependent. Some characteristics are coming though, more pronounced, on tighter tracks with more bumpyness, maybe even less roughness of tarmac (just guesstimated).

Like stated. The F-Retro is actually pretty fun, when driven on the sweetspot under braking, but it doesn't seem as intuitive, as other cars in AMS2.

18. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Yeah, oh well, I think ill dedicate my weekend to diff tuning... :)

19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Excellent--so it simply needs a few tweaks, like every other car introduced into AMS 2 has needed so far! ;)

I have a simple question--should there not be just one diff option (whatever was in the real cars)? I know it is fun to have a "sandbox" approach to diffs, but why would that be the case only for diffs? Either make every vehicle completely customizable, or, stick to the historically accurate/authentic options, no?

• Like Like x 1
  20. CrimsonEminence

Try to brake not too hard, let the car set itself a bit, it will "fall" into the corner then, this is even more important, than having a perfect diff setup.

• Winner Winner x 1