1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formula-Retro drivability

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Damian Baldi, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

IIRC that is the video where they mentioned they hit nearly 180mph at Brands.

2. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I thought that was a discussion about the mid 80s turbo cars?

3. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not sure what you mean, I was watching a mid 70's F1 race at Brands (I think it was that very video) and the commentator said something like "here they come down the straight, hitting speeds of nearly 180mph" mentioned it before when discussing the potentially low top speed of cars ingame. I'm not so sure if they are slow now though, I don't know what year they are meant to be ingame. In 73 the M23 did 185mph at Kyalami but in 76 the fastest car supposedly did 181mph at Hockenheim which has a pretty huge straight and is low altitude. Maybe the cars got slower in terms of straight line speed in the mid 70's, more DF or something perhaps.

4. InfernalVortex

Im remembering a different discussion about the Formula Classic Gen 1 cars.

It wouldnt surprise me that much if top speeds went down as they started cranking in the downforce. If lowering the top speed meant the average speed went up, then it's something they would do. I imagine most of the teams spent most of the 70s adding more and more downforce, and the notion that they could add downforce faster than horsepower makes sense to me.

Either way, by 1973, all the teams except Ferrari (and maybe BRM?) were running the Ford V8's, so if most teams didnt really have horsepower edges over any others, so you'd use chassis trickery and aero tweaks to go faster. This is when Tyrrell was messing around with 6 wheel cars, to try to get a small top speed edge over the other teams while keeping the corner speed. It was an attempt at getting more aero efficiency ,so that shows they were working hard on aero development at the time, so maybe they were adding downforce faster than power.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

BRM P160E-10 - Italian GP Monza September 1973 Niki Lauda.JPG

BRM P160E Italian GP Monza September 1973 Niki Lauda

• Like Like x 2
  6. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

bt44.jpg
    Hi To help put this type of simple Question to our Driver Chap Ethan Could anyone with such a Q ping it to me as well as here.
    This will save me time scrolling through, save time to compile our list for him. He should shed some light. Dont know what this is out of(taken at his workshop) but he rebuilds as well as setup & race.
    Thanks diff.jpg lots.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Active Member

That diff looks like a normal street differential, with crown, pinion and planetaries. I changed one of those years ago, on the Chevrolet C-10 of my father.

Maybe they are using that diff to make the car more easy to drive? Or maybe it's a cost related thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Maser V6

looks normal but dont know what it from he mentioned Hewland (its not for our retros)
    Maybe FT200 box
    Brings back memories for me to setting with shims, mics, dti, backlash blimey long time ago
    lol
    Brabham box below s/h sold £5,500

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. InfernalVortex

Yeah that's a little weird to use an "open" differential like that in a race car. That's normal for racecars that do not have traction problems under acceleration. NASCAR racing in the US usually uses open differentials, because at high speed they're not really going to have any wheel spin and they basically move around in large circles at speed. For a Formula car, it's odd. It could be some kind of locker under power, but they tend to have some stuff in there for a locking mechanism and I dont see anytihng in that one. So whatever it's for, it looks pretty small, and it's probably for something that has more traction than power.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Maser V6

Brabham bt44 Hewland box
    (FG400)
    , upload_2020-7-7_23-4-42.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Maser V6

Hi Internal, The other box is a hewland just not sure what car though it is for a customer race car
    edit had food going up to race:)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. InfernalVortex

Now that looks more like it! That's some kind of limited slip diff for sure. Cool picture. I cant imagine having a machine I take that far apart regularly.

13. Maser V6

I am running retro Trackday session + race after 10 pm uk. today.
    (that is long P 30 mins or so. short Q10mins. 10 laps. 1 or 2 ai @up to 120/60 as pace car (not for me race:( they'l be too fast for that, this will also test them for feedback).
    Your welcome to join. open lobby, open setup, cockpit view damage off. Just for fun and feedback. (I'll be testing diff setup) Spielberg H or Kaya H. dry

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  14. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for invitation!
    10pm UK means 11pm GER, sorry that's too late, my neighbours want to sleep. When driving with so classic cars, I can't avoid turning speakers as loud as possible:D
    Which track/ car do you drive? Maybe I will drive the same track / car tomorrow, so we could discuss our experience in diff settings?

15. Maser V6

sry, its to late for you. Night owl here!

16. alink

"Benetton B186 did 240mph at Monza, 218mph at the first chicane. Monza isn’t in the game though. Brands Hatch is, and the b186 was touted to be the only car to exceed 190mph going into Hawthorne. But setup plays a role . The turbo cars had a lot more drag than the ground effect cars. "
    That was in that thread
    Top speed of classic G1
    I think, 1970s cars with wings weren't faster than 300 kph (<190 mph)

17. alink

not for me:)
    there're some other people in the house :(
    it wouldn't be the first time I'm too loud at night

18. InfernalVortex

I hit 290kph/180mph in the 72E. With a longer straight it might hit 185... but I think thats about it. Spielberg and Kyalami elevation is too high to be a good reference point. maybe bathurst is a good spot to do high speed runs?

19. 250swb

250swb Active Member

Top speed is no indicator authenticity because the few times any Formula 1 car goes to a track where top speed matters they all have smaller and/or lower rear wings anyway, which is not an option in AMS2. In the early days of winged cars many teams would remove them for fast circuits. Today teams turn up at Monza with 'Monza Specials' that they don't run any other time in the season. So unless AMS2 offers an option for a skinny wing on fast circuits feathering the standard wing to get the fastest top speed is as close as you'll get. Images worth Googling are the 1969 Italian GP to see cars with and without wings, and of course poor Jochen Rindt in 1971 running his Lotus 72 with no wings at all, front or rear....

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. InfernalVortex

Well of course I am making the assumption that wings to zero in AMS2 is the same as the wings producing zero downforce. That may not be a safe assumption. Who knows.