1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car handling between sessions

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Kurupt CDN, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey guys, I am just curious if anyone has experienced something similar.

I've done several online races in the past few days in the Ginetta GT4 and 2020 Stock car.
    Offline practice, online practice and quali the car feels pretty much the same across those sessions.

Race session it becomes a completely different beast, twitchy under braking, brake lock ups causing looping, understeering into corners while sliding and oversteering through and exiting corners.
    When exiting the pits on cold tires, asides from the slower lap time, I find the turn in and grip better on cold tires than I do on up to temp tires.

I understand on the opening lap some components are cold and following someone causes a lack of down force both effecting handling. Tho I have followed people in practice sessions and the handling hasn't been much different.
    One would think after three sessions the track would be pretty rubbered in and grippy, but it feels more like a green track.

While we're on topic of handling what are people's impression on curb grip?
    I find some are fine while others ex. T2 at brands hatch and other low speed turns I have to tippy toe through and not touch it or the car will slide.

Is there something I am overlooking.

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I think I read somewhere from the devs, that track state doesnt carry over to race session, so you are essentially racing on a fresh one!

3. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Active Member

Check the temp and pressure of the tires in each session.

4. Kurupt CDN

I've been playing with temps a bit. I am currently running the lowest pressure available on the gt4 and still have points through the race where the tires are still not heating up to optimal temps on 35c+ track seems odd....I've also noticed running min pressure hardly effects the chamber or wear across the tire.
    In theory at that pressure it should be generating alot of heat and the outers should be wearing more.

I am no alien by any means but the majority of time trials I've done I am within 1-1.5 secs of the WRs so it can't be because I am not pushing enough?

If the comment above yours is correct than alot would make sense than.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

Also, keep an eye on the Track temperature ;)

6. Micropitt

We posted at the same time @Kurupt CDN :whistle:

Anyways, I never had that problem and I drive Brands Hatch a lot.
    But I also never did online racing with the G55

7. Kurupt CDN

I wanna give this thread a bump.

I did another online race at Race department today....exact same out come as the car became completely different in it's handling come race and spun several times.

Can we get some confirmation from the devs if the track rubbering is carrying over to the race or not?

Also another issue arised....I did several off line practice sessions for the RD 40 min race. I figured I'd need roughly 32 laps worth of fuel with a lap or 2 reserve.
    I was in the menus as quali switched to race and the fuel switched from 32 laps worth to a maximum of 26 laps worth which I could not increase?
    Another driver confirmed the same happened to them but there max fuel amount became 30 laps worth?

8. Micropitt

You should post this here:
    Bug Reports - Automobilista 2 (Read the Opening Post)
    or here:
    General AMS2 Release & Feedback Topic
    Otherwise the Devs might not see it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Low doesn’t necessarily mean heat. Its all about the contact patch. Too low and you lose heat, too high you lose heat. Set your OMI properly (+/- 5) with your middle temp in between the O and I first. Still no heat, add toe. Still no heat stiffen the anti-roll so the outer tire has more to do. Although that may not help that much and will change the driving characteristics.

Its just hard to keep heat in all tires just like that. Some tracks like cascaval have just one left hand turn.

Good news is the optimal operating window is pretty generous. 70C to over 100c or something like that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

The main issue is, that if you set the car up to run from cold the car will be totally different to when at the optimum temps, resulting in the car feeling totally different.
    The best way is to set the car up at the optimum conditions,(TT) then go from there.
    But obviously if you then run different conditions in a race you will have the same problem again.
    Too be honest i would just build a default tune and adjust your brakes/aero/fuel etc with a few tweeks depending on the conditions of the race.
    But my main concern is that the tuning has a few major issues that need addressing asap.
    Removing the Aero/camber/toe/rear anti-roll bar/setting tyres to min pressure literally breaks the physics, you can try it yourself, but from my testing the few tenths you lose in cornering speed is gained ten fold in 1-2 secs on the straights.
    Especially the GT4, i've not tried every car but it's looking like a common issue, especially if the car has a lot of adjustability etc.
    The difference is way too big and if i remember this was an issue in Pcars and the whole Leaderboards had to be reset halfway through the game.

11. steelreserv

the funny thing is, i’ve experienced the opposite. I do a lot of TT and even if my setups are similar to the ghosts, with only lower tire pressure as the difference, they just pull away down the straights. Regardless of aero, and closed radiator and ducts. In fact, harder tire pressures seem to be the fastest way to gain straight line speed in one or two laps, even if there is a slight pressure bubble in the middle of the tire, OMI 82/83/82 for example. If you lower the pressure to get an even temp, say 83/83/83 you lose speed, if you camber to a proper 80/83/85, you lose speed too.

For TT im sure theres some wonky stuff you can do on a rubbered in track that will last a lap or two. But if your goal is to race, on a virgin track. Good luck to you sir. In my opinion, its best to have a well rounded setup. Or perhaps 2, one for TT and one for Racing conditions.

12. Micropitt

I agree with you. TT setup is totally different than race setup. People are driving with 0 downforce, Radiator closed to 0 and Brake ducts on 10%. It is good for 1 or 2 laps but that's it.
    I just did a 20 lap race at Cascais against AI (P1 class) and thought I had a good setup. It only lasted until about lap 12 and then I started loosing grip like crazy. Even though the car was lighter towards the end of the race, I was not able to do a lap close to times I did in the first 10 laps.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Goodluck...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  14. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I have some default setup WR's, but nobody seems to tackle them. Caterham lives matter too! :p Oh and F-trainer!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Micropitt

:eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

Tire pressure is huge for top speed. I couldnt figure out why I was so far off the pace at Spielberg until I started jacking up the tire pressures... car was nearly undriveable, but I had so much more speed on the straights!

17. steelreserv

Yeah, thats the name of the game for TT so far as I have seen. Its probably why aliens can WR with near default setups. The tires are so fresh, and the track in TT has rubber so it doesnt matter until lap 3. The highest pressure in which you can still control the car is the way to go.

I use TT to build and refine setups though. It’s a lot of laps and good practice but i can nail down a race setup pretty good. On the flip side its kind of disheartening to get better and better only to see your personal best ghost car pull away.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Micropitt

I like your Sprintracer setup at Brands Hatch.....but I still can't catch up.... :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  19. steelreserv

Wow Thanks! I have to revisit some of mine because I’ve been learning a lot about diffs recently and trying to create “race friendly” setups, even though its TT. Hopefully you found thats the case!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Micropitt

It felt like a really good race setup. I only drove it on Brands Hatch GP and totally forgot to try it on Brands Hatch short. I bet it does really well there.