1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formula-Retro drivability

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Damian Baldi, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

For some reason I'm actually fairly happy with 90% or 95% brake pressure in these despite needing to lower it in some other cars but I agree the brakes seem quite strong. The cars seem fast compared to RL and reducing the effectiveness of the brakes would be a good start I think (yes I know you cant expect exact same lap times as RL because reasons but it would be nice if the cars were closer even allowing for sim advantages over RL.)

2. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for joining Damian, last to 3rd then I ran out of fuel du
    Your times good with no front wing not sure what happened there

3. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Active Member

There wasn't real damage, I think only graphic. I was using Hockenheim setup and it wasn't nice to drive at all.

4. Maser V6

Dont know what happened at start of race 2? I have the replay i think.
    fun catching Marious I lost it the he did
    good race though

5. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

So far, so good....remember the answer by Ethan about turning abilities in the F-Retro?

I definetly like the improvements, i can handle these cars better in different situation, without too much task saturation, hindering concentration on the "whole picture" for me.

And i still think, something make them less agile, as they should be, for a car with the engine in the mid-rear and reportedly high initial turn-in, while forcing it a bit on the "stall-limit" ("like a fighter plane").

I just ran a few laps on Bathurst with the M23 in TT and practice mode and focused a bit more on one thing:
    Turning under braking is basically restricted a lot in AMS2. It takes away all the laptime and drivability. I get off the brakes, until just my toe presses it (not overexaggerating) and the car turns immediately.

Trail braking, even if executed more slightly, becomes a bit of a theoretical improvement, costing chunks of time, instead of just letting it coast or babying it on the brake as if you just use a toe for the brake. (This is the thing i still suspect, why drivers were literally 3-6 seconds off-pace sometimes in multiplayer).

Sometimes, the F-Retro cars become even more agile, when applying an amount of throttle, while braking into corners.

Why is the starting pressure of tyres at 1,7 bar in TT? Isn't this a bit much or should this be optimum hot-pressure? My cold pressure input was around 1,47. Pressure was also falling while driving.

Some whining, pls ignore, it's just venting like Starship SN5 abort the test, when a boat appeared in close range, while awaiting static fire testing:
    I don't know what it is, but driving old formula cars in general becomes very frustrating in AMS2 for me...all of them have some quirks, that make them feel hard to be believeable, sometimes.

6. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I played with the clutch differential again yesterday, it really does induce a lot of understeer. I went back to the geared one. I am an aggressive brake-rotator in the F-Retros... it's a balancing act to get the car rotated without it washing out... it can go a lot farther than you think, but when you go too far you lose tons of time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. CrimsonEminence

Was your Bathurst time done with geared? I should try geared then, have the game open right now, never tried it...maybe it's the "magic" thing, to make it more fun... :whistle:

Btw. got'cha :p :p :p :D (With clutch diff applied EDIT: went 7 tenths faster with the geared diff)

EDIT:

Holy cow...this is a major difference. Especially on the brakes. I have just driven 3 corners and can already tell...:eek:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. InfernalVortex

I knew I shouldnt have revealed my secrets! :D

Note that no one in those days would have ever used a geared diff in F1.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. CrimsonEminence

I was on a 1:58.95 with clutch LSD.

I am on a 1:58.2 with geared diff and fitted ratios. And this was not even golden freezer form of pushing... :eek:

The geared diff is almost one second faster without totally nuts pushing (and also feels that way) as the clutch LSD with full push...
    Especially under braking and on throttle management this configuration is working excellent.

@Renato Simioni
    The geared diff almost works like a cheat on the F-Retro. It's definetly a lot easier to drive (into corners) and even feels more believeable. Just for the definitive reporting of an anomaly, if it is one. (Under braking and coasting, the geared diff actually feels like an opening diff, unlike the LSD, that feels as if it tightens all up totally and remains locked or something)

I can use higher brake pressures in the setup and on the pedal, too...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. InfernalVortex

It honestly kind of transforms the car. It's still a little frustrating mid corner sometimes, but it's quite fun to drive now.

11. CrimsonEminence

Especially on modern tracks it's a lot better. On fast corners LSD it's working okay, like Kyalami.
    But on Kyalami it's also faster with geared, i think... i almost matched @Andy-R with the geared diff and i wasn't going all-in...but with his gearbox settings (your gearing is bad-ass, Andy!), combined with stiffening of suspension (thanks to the tipp by Renato Simioni), the car becomes better with the LSD and more controlable over bumps and dips. BUT the LSD still feels horibble in the slow sections, i understand, why he is using so much rear brake bias :D. EDIT: Btw. Also got'cha, but i used LSD, because i didn't wanted to cheat. :D

With fuel in normal sessions the F-Retro also feels more believeable and fun in general, when using the geared diff. Mhmmm....

12. Andy-R

Yep, I can adjust fuel and gears like an absolute boss... the rest not so much :D

Now I have an excuse to try the updated Retro cars on an existing circuit this weekend :) At Hockenheim I couldn't really notice the difference.

13. CrimsonEminence

I have stolen and adjusted your setup to my likings on Spielberg right now, and will try the BT44 and maybe also get those 4 thousands out of it. :D (LSD will remain in use for the hotlap, i don't wanna cheat, i just did on Bathurst :D)

The Lotus is definetly faster on Kyalami in general, compared to the M23.

I think, the BT44 is also faster, than the Lotus on Spielberg, if made drivable.

Seems, i have to learn to adjust gearbox ratios better, this helped a lot, also on throttle on Kyalami...almost 1 second improvement.^^
    The difference is mostly noticeable on tighter sections with geared diff. On long fast corners it's fine with the LSD, when braking isn't that hard...it's strange...Mid-Corner you have to be a short time completely off throttle sometimes, when using the geared diff, but overall, it dives into corners a noticeable amount better and more agile. :)

14. Maser V6

Hi Cr is this compared to ams 1 or?.

I have not really spent much time in the others yet, just finding what the B44 will do default TT, and at Interlagos Long, has become easier since last update cars/track.
    T1 can be taken flat lap 2, imo too easy from what is was before last week (when it could not be taken flat} . I say this because with modulation of brake and throttle the car will rotate and with a little stab of throttle quite a controllable rotation. (just my style)
    yep.

ref back to Ethan and
    I have to agree it seems something still does not add up.

Mabey you have hit on it?

Aggressive works for me, whilst in online race watching cockpit view of others (with some) theres little aggression and some seem to think it will turn like an everyday shopping car hence a big time difference. subtle aggression seems the better option, for me anyway.

According to some chaps at RD it should be the optimum,( TT 1st lap) they were doingTT, starting lap then going back to pit immediately to see what the pressure were then using this as a basis for there setup elswhere. Yet to try it myself but did seem to make sense.

• Like Like x 1
  15. CrimsonEminence

In general. Braking with the LSD into tight corners can take away almost all steering authority, when overdone. Other configurations not that much at all.

Try the geared differential, it's day and night into slow turns. It's almost a "cheat"...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Maser V6

Seems like I need to try some diff setups myself.
    I should be driving away from home IRL now but am tempted to wait till Fri morn and fire up PC :) any of you chaps online tonight?

17. Andy-R

I don't think I'll be trying the other diff type, I'll stick to the sort used on the car.

Yeah the Lotus is a rocket ship, I did maybe 10x or 20x more laps at Kyalami in the M23 than that car. When I tested all of them back to back there I did the least amount of laps in the Lotus and went quickest by a decent margin. With regards to the Brabham I guess it is down to driving style and/or setup... it feels much more stable to me than the M23. A bit more prone to understeer and ploughs a bit when braking (even with 2 clicks further rear than the other cars) but more stable than the others.

18. Maser V6

I posted this elswhere silverstone #1 (classic, here only for the sake of watching the first race after J Stewart interview. I dont thing from the sound of some of the carsthat they have the same issues as us?

Edit what we need os onboard so we can see and hear

19. InfernalVortex

I’m going to mess more with the clutched diff and see if I can get the coast understeer out of it. I need to try backing the preload all the way down and see what happens. Have any of you guys tried that?

20. CrimsonEminence

Not in the mood for online racing today.^^

When you stiffen the springs, ARBs and dampers 1-2 clicks, the other cars are more stable over dips and crests, than the BT44. The Brabham is pretty on rails while throttling up, yeah. It went faster by quite a bit right now on Spielberg...btw. got'cha :D :D (also LSD in use)