1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car sounds are mediocre

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Paul Greenwood, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Paul Greenwood

Paul Greenwood New Member

With ACC having a stunning, gritty soundtrack that rivals the legendary Racerooms. Can we have the same for AMS2? Because its just dam synthetic compared.
    Will the developers improve on this? It would ad soooo much to the realism.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

3. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

ACCs GT4 Camero puts hair on your chest. Murica.

edit: I’d love it if AmS2 got to that point.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Paul Greenwood

Im really surprised no one is discussing the audio? Or am i wrong in my opinion? Is the vast majority happy with the car sounds?

5. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree that the graphics are better than the sound. Personally I wouldn't mind if it improved but it's not very high on my list compared to other things.

6. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

I don't think you're wrong, the audio certainly has room for improvement and I'm sure it will be on Reiza's to do list but I also assume it's just not as much of an issue as some other aspects of the game which atm are higher up the order. It's also worth remembering that Kunos would've had access to whatever was required to sample the real car sounds in ACC.

7. Lucas Vieira

Lucas Vieira Member

Not that long time ago, at December 2019 dev update, Reiza told us that they made some partnership for some cars have the same sound they had in real life.

Reiza December 2019 Development Update

Im not saying that this will happen for all the cars in the game, but if some cars had that, its not that hard for them to extend this kind of stuff for all the content left in the game.

So be pacient a little bit. I do rather had the physics improve first than sound. Once the priority of things to do are finished, probably they will improve the sounds.

8. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

If you watch some real life videos for, let's say, Stock Car 2020 or G55 you will find that AMS2 actually is not that far off with the sound. Personally I find the "tin can" sound in ACC not very pleasant. But then again, sound is a subjective experience.

9. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I normally stick with the single seaters... so I'll use the Notacosworth DFV the retro single seaters have.

If I watch replays with a non cockpit camera, the engines sound absolutely amazing to me. In the cockpit it sounds like a vacuum cleaner. The first time I noticed how incredible the engine sounded outside the car I was almost heartbroken! Go drive the Formula Retro Mclaren M23, and switch from incar to chase cam!

I think some of hte engine sounds are great. The V12's sound excellent as well.

It could be that these really do sound signficantly different in cockpit, or in-helmet... but it's kind of a bummer sometimes!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Paul Greenwood

I totally get the above points and maybe I should be more patient. To me car engine sounds are INCREDIBLY important for me to get excited about the drive. Especially in VR and motion. ACC and RR have really spoiled me in that regard. (Although ACC has the worst VR in sim history)

11. Badgerous

Badgerous New Member

On the subject of sounds, what's going on with that awful sound you hear in the V8 Supers as you trundle out the pits in a practice session? It happens regardless of whether the pit limiter is on, and shuts off as soon as you cross the exit pit line.

Same thing happened in the new Toyota Stock car yesterday, but not the Chevy.

It sounds broken as opposed to intentional.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

To me, most AMS2 cars have great external sound, many have great cockpit sounds, but unfortunately some have very thin and synthetic cockpit audio. Many have messed up directional audio so that mid engined sounds come from the front. The trackside audio is lacking somewhat, if there are reflection shaders then they are subtle to the point of non existence, along with trackside audience ambience. I’m fairly certain that these issues are known and being worked on, and that they will become a priority at some stage. AMS1 ended up with great sounds on a far more primitive sound engine.

Poor sound is incredibly immersion breaking and can detract from an otherwise great driving experience. I’ve actually stopped playing Wreckfest because its tinny buzzy synthesised in car sound is so irredeemably terrible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Totally agree, and I also think the reverse is true, that great sound can make an average game feel much better than it is, ACC being a case in point. In that game the excellent soundscape makes everything just feel more immersive and realistic, so the whole package works very well.
    If AMS2 could mix a bit of the external sound in with the cockpit sounds and add a few more squeaks and rattles, maybe some more layers of environmental sounds too I think it would blow the competition away.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Paul Greenwood

This!
    Developers take note!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

You are absolutely correct in your assessment, but keep in mind that their is so much to improve at this point, sound is one of them, but we may have to just wait for AMS2 to get to a better place before even thinking on improving sound.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

I agree. The audio in AMS 2 just feels a bit "empty" at the moment. We have engines but very little else that I can detect... very little road noise, transmission whine, turbo noise, chassis rattle, joint squeaks, etc etc. Coming from R3E which has very good audio is definitely feels like one of AMS 2's weak points, and although I'm not really a fan of ACC, it does have incredibly immersive audio.

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

i also strange when you are in pit stop and others cars pass by with identical "wuaaaaaaaaaa" without variation in time and pitch

18. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Haha, you've done well in putting an engine noise into words! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Ppl on the ACC forums make better engine noises.

20. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Reiza should open acess to audio mods like its happening in AC community if they cant do themselves