1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.0.4.0 Update Released, now updated to v1.0.4.1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Found this on YouTube earlier:

The procar + Donnington national is a great combo... We just need a classic Donnington in game now.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Nice video, nice cars, brutal sound!
    Do you have the same engine sound in the game like in the video?
    I miss this roaring engine sound when cars pass by but maybe I don’t have good enough speakers...?

3. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

Yeah my right panel has a slightly less angle. Could not mount it otherwise. Everytime I turn the bolds tighter it moves away from the 52 degrees. So I gave up. :D
    I have set the res to 7680*1440.

4. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

That's incorrect...They didn't 'have' to use a 5 speed gearbox, just like they didn't 'have' to use the road going 230BHP specification, or those E30's would have had an easier task ;-)

There are many websites stating both 5 and 6 speed gearboxes for the EVO 1 and 2, but the confusion comes from most sites talking about road going homologation models, they are not the same as the actual race cars derived from said homologation.

The homologated road going version had 230(ish)BHP and pulled 150(ish)mph. The DTM cars derived from them produced much more power. So it doesn't mean a 5 speed gearbox 'had' to be used. And a six speed box was previously used in the 2.3.

Two sites talking specifically about DTM and not road going cars:
    MERCEDES-BENZ 190E 2.3-16: NOT ONLY DTM

Mercedes-Benz W 201 – Wikipedia

Both speak of a six speed gearbox, used as early as the EVO 1, and specifically mentioned for the EVO 2. I'm not stating this as correct fact, but anything I've read so far specifically about the actual DTM race cars (And not the road cars) suggests a 6 speed box.

Either way, I just hope the physics and sound will eventually be fixed. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Those are the only two options at the moment. More languages coming in the future.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

7. James Lee GTE

The BMW M1 has no tyre sounds in AI races. I practised at hockenheim gp 1988 and I have tyre scrub sounds galore. I go into a AI race and there is none? When you get to the first part of the stadium section ( sector 3 ) I can hear my right tyre scrub a little bit and then it cuts out, then the final corners I get white noise where the should be scrubbing sounds. Really kills the immersion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Exactly the opposite experience I had. By the very first time since April of 2020 I have a perfect brake pressure on defaults.

9. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

My friend, you are throwing to many things together here that need to be treated separate. Let's start at the beginning, the Homologation. Up until the end of 1992 the DTM was running under Group A Reglement. From 1993 on the DTM was in FIA Class 1. One of the requirements under Group A is the Homologation of the car. On a side note, the MB 190 2.6-16 Evolution II was introduced to the DTM in mid-season of 1990 because MB had to sell the 500 cars first before they could use it on the race track. The MB Evo II had to have it's own Homologation since it was very different from the Evo I, which also had its own Homologation. The Homologation goes hand-in-hand with the Reglement (here Group A) and the Reglement dictates what can be changed on the car and what not. There can be additional separate Reglements for each race track that have to be applied but we are going to ignore that today. In a way, you can see the Homologation model as the base model for the race car. The Homologation allows the car to drive in a particular race series with particular modifications. As you already pointed out, the Homologation base model had 230HP while the actual race car in the beginning had somewhat around 330HP and at the very end around 375HP mainly due to the usage of Formula 1 fuel. Combine that with drastic weight reduction, that car of course was much faster. In that way, the Reglement pretty much addresses every screw on the car that can or can not be modified.

Initial specs 1990:
    Seat EVO2 was placed a bit back for better weight balance, 45m of rollover cage goes in the EVO2, 110liter tank instead of spare wheel for lower weight point, no power steering, ABS, ASD instead of mechanical lsd, electronic regulated hydrolic slip between 35 and 100% in road car, racecar was set at 75% permanent, brakes front 355mm, back 278mm, tires 235/605 and 240/ 620/18, weight 1040kg, wheelbase 2655mm, length 4430mm, width 1712mm, height 1322mm, track front/rear 1470/1455 mm

Specs 1991:
    Track front/ rear 1470mm/ 1455mm, wheelbase 2665mm, length 4563mm, width 1706mm, heigth 1300mm, weight 980kg, 9800 revs/ min max. and 360 bhp end of the season

Specs 1992:
    Engine produced aprox. 373bhp at 9500rpm. but therefore every 600 km the engines needed a revision for aprox. 12.000 Euros. Track front/ rear 1470mm/ 1455mm, wheelbase 2665mm, length 4563mm, width 1706mm, heigth 1300mm, weight 980kg, privateers 950kg

The Evo II was also used in other European race series like the Super Tourisme Championship in France in 1992. One of those cars was driven by a young guy with the name Olaf Manthey ;-)

The Evo II was Homologated with the 5 gear Getrag competition gearbox which also was used in the DTM by MB as well as BMW. The difference in gears comes because of the car running in different series. (I mentioned above already the french Super Tourisme Championship).

Here is the link to the FIA Group A specification in its last revision from 1990:
    https://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/5F2AFD0C95BAAAF2C125792600506B94/$FILE/1990-Art255-af.pdf
    The gearbox is covered under section 5.2.2

Hope that helps.....

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. leillo1975

leillo1975 Active Member

...????

• Like Like x 2
  11. Leynad

Leynad Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I had an online race with the M1 and the sounds disappeared twice and came back probably triggered by some other sound. Did you use VR? I'm using TrackIR, so launching in SteamVR, which might be the reason why not everybody experience the same.

12. Marc Collins

Oooops, these two are already added apparently. If not showing up with the latest update installed, then report in the bug report thread, too!

13. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

That sucks mate, try remove AMS2 documents folder but keep the triples settings file, start game, turn on triples in game, bail out and put the triples file back into documents correctly and restart the game. Hopefully this gets it working again.

Triples is working as normally here though mate.

14. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

Yeah got it working again. Deleted everything and started with a fresh AMS2 documents folder. First I used the old triple settings file but I guess that one was corrupt. Now all new and it works back again.
    I had to redo all the settings, FFB, gfx, sound, controlls, key assignments etc. but ok it is fine now.:D

• Like Like x 1
  15. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

Since the latest update I started to notice some graphics sttuters. It's like the horizontal view is not fluid as it was before, I'm seeing some "micro-stops". Anybody else noticing it?

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

Twice in a row I was in the BMW M3 at Hockenheim (modern, GP and national) and during quali out of nowhere my car comes on both occasions between t1 and t2 to an abrupt stop. I should have taken a short video but suffice to say I had to restart the game to fix it.

@F1 Hero i have noticed the same on aggressive bounces.

• Like Like x 2
  17. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

And of course...This is all we are bothered about as the cars are listed as Group A in AMS2.
    That's why I'm 'not' throwing things together and only dealing with Group A. Not class 1, nor stating that the evo 2 was homologated separately (I don't think that was the case as you suggest it was).

I don't believe that's the case. I'm not seeing homologation details specifically for the EVO 2 at all, anywhere, nowhere online. If you are stating that as fact, then please share the details here.

What I 'am' seeing, is the fact that it was a 'Revision' under a new model name to the earlier 2.3. This is found via the actual papers for the 190E here under homologation number 5269 which covers 2.3 AND the revision to a new model name of 2.5:

https://historicdb.fia.com/sites/de...201/homologation_form_number_5269_group_a.pdf

So I doubt that a whole new homologation process was specified for the 2.5, when it was already covered under a revision to the 2.3.
    Mercedes were very smart to keep the original car homologated under a new 'Evolution' or 'Revision'. Saves lot's of time, money and paperwork. ;-)

Have a look there for 'New model name', you'll see it's a revision up to 2.5 specification...And look at the gearbox choices. Getrag 5 speed, and prodrive 6 speed. For both the initial 2.3 model, and the revised 2.5 model.

Indeed. As you linked the specifications for Group A those are no good without referencing which I've linked above for you, clearly showing that the 2.3 and 2.5 fell under the same homologation number 5269, and that 5 and 6 speed gearboxes were detailed.
    So at this point it's down to asking the drivers from the time which box they used, as both were clearly homologated as "vo Ausstattungsvarlante Option variant", and allowed via the Group A specification (Named: Additional gearbox or additional housing).

Additionally, as the evo 2 (2.5) was simply a revision, or 'Sport evolution' as it says in the linked papers, then they did not need to sell another 500 cars, as they already had done so by selling 500 of the initial 2.3.

Please...If we are trying to find information about the correctness of in-game cars, can we please stick to factual statements. I myself was convinced that the 190E after 1989 should be six speed in Group A, but here we see that it could have been either 5 OR 6 as both were allowed.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  18. Marc Collins

Mini:
    New Mini JCW is such an awesome and capable car compared to AMS 1 Mini. It is a delight to drive, but means we still need a "normal" Mini or Clio type series to slot between the old 60's versions and these latest, greatest ones :)

Head Movement:
    The UI label, if you keep the current "reverse" scaling needs to say "HEAD MOVEMENT SMOOTHING" since setting it to 0 is the most movement (least smoothing) and 100 is the least movement (but maximum smoothing). This is confusing for any user not steeped in the history of the setting. Or leave the label as-is and reverse the scale :)

More importantly, even at 100, there is still too much movement and I would like to meet someone who can use the setting at 0 and not feel some sort of deleterious side effects. It is that bad (and I am someone who had zero health issues with the old scheme, even though I didn't like it and wished we could have AMS 1 head movement transplanted exactly to AMS 2). The other problem is that the car movement either needs a separate scale or must be smoothed in concert with the head movement. Right now, the car is bouncing and moving far more than should be expected for the corresponding amount of head movement.

I think what would help a lot is to apply another major reduction factor to the head movement smoothing (it is going in the right direction, just not far enough) and make sure the car movement is scaled accordingly. I am mot sure Madness allows this, though, or it would have already been done. If all we can do is trade-off one form of exaggerated movement for another (head versus horizon versus car), then probably better to pursue another path, even if it will be painful and take longer. There are too many reports of serious strain or nausea while trying to use the sim and I can empathize and corroborate this now that it is affecting me (even when set to minimum levels), albeit more mildly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

@TekNeil
    Ok, this is the last post I'm going to make about the Homologation since it is becoming exhausting trying to explain it to you.
    Yes, the Evo I and the Evo II have the same Homologation number. It is called Homologation transfer and is used when the car manufacturer produces a "Evolution" of a existing model instead of a complete new model (yes, you did at least understand that part correct). That also is the reason why Mercedes Benz only had to built 500 models of the Evo II instead of the 2500 they built of the Evo I (at this point it would be good for you to make yourself familiar with the FIA regulation for Group A Homologations). While the Homologation number is the same, the Evo I & Evo II differ in many aspects. And yes, the Evo II was Homologated with the 5 gear gearbox and since FIA didn't allow adding or removing gears after the Homologation they used the 5 gear gearbox. (The "Evolution" overrides the original Homologation. Means, if the Evo I was Homologated with a 6 gear gearbox and MB changed it to a 5 gear gearbox in the Evo II Homologation then the 6 gear gearbox can no longer be used.)

Here is the Appendix J from 1990 of the FIA Reglement which gives you every technical classification, specification and definition of race cars for that year. (It also explains what Homologation is and the "Evolution" process). Basically it will answer every single question you may have.
    https://historicdb.fia.com/sites/default/files/regulations/1439544717/appendix_j_1990.pdf

• Like Like x 1
  20. James Lee GTE

I’m using the Oculus Rift S via the Oculus SDK. It’s the only car in AMS2 that has this weird sound loss issue. All others work fine for me in VR.