1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.3.3.0 RELEASED - Now updated to V1.3.3.1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2022.

1. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Looking at that Youtube footage, I'm not sure old Sophy there would be picking up her clean race bonus very often, but then what would a robot need to spend it on anyway. I wonder if the AI will be programmed to have fatigue and make mistakes, or whether they'll just be like a Terminator.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

AMS2 recommended as the best starting point for new sim racers in Custom PC magazine April 2022.
    A good news story that we can all applaud.

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

iracing does have the best AI imo. I've borrowed my friend's account, he got all cars and tracks, and from tin tops to Formula cars, the AI was great to race against and simulate real racing not only wheel to wheel racing.

This video is pretty informative!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Yeah thats actually pretty impressive. I like the way the ai are overtaking and pushing in this video. Its more like watching a race on the telly. Really smooth, really on it. I like it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Demeisen

Demeisen Well-Known Member

Isn't Raceroom's Adaptive AI something like that? Applying community average performance, over a set number of sessions, to the players performance over the same period?

6. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

No. It changes the AI difficulty race after race until the player consistently ends up fighting mid-pack. It does not transfer between players in any way.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dan44AFCB

Dan44AFCB Member AMS2 Club Member

NR2003 adaptive AI would adapt lap by lap. It made for brilliant AI races, let alone the general awareness about them. But hey, that was 20 years ago. It must be much better than that now......oh.

No wonder iracing AI came from nowhere to being decent quickly.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

How you can compare the "adaptive AI" of NR2003 (which just sets the difficulty according to how fast you lap) to an actual self-learning AI that learned by itself from scratch to be faster than the best players using the same physics and actually outraced them is beyond me.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Correct (IMO)
    Eventhough the AI in NR2003 and its mods was pretty good at that time then the AI driving in the iRacing video above looks so much better. :)
    But on the other side Im not sure iRacings new AI is self learning in any way compared to the neural thing in ANNA and Sophey.;)

ByTheWay: I have shown this NR2003/GTP mod AI rating before. But must admit it has a certain familarity to iRacings new AI setup :D

GTP AI rating.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

They scrapped that I think about 10 years ago (so - relatively recently for LFS :) )

• Like Like x 1
  11. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Does Sony's Sophy AI learn to be incredibly fast and then when it's learned that fastest possible lap, executes it consistently with no errors (assuming nothing is in its way). In which case, is its purpose simply to give the pro drivers good practise partners rather than provide human-like opponents for the average game player? Does is scale down based on a strength setting?

12. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Within the 1983 F1 class (Formula Retro Gen 3), the AI with turbo charged cars are much slower than the ones with naturally aspirated engines. In real life, it was the opposite. The Turbos were on top at the end of the season.

Of course, you can bring the Turbos to the front by creating a custom file, but you have to lower the values for naturally aspirated cars dramatically, which makes the whole pack slower.

13. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Check in the setup if the boost pressure is adjustable, then maybe it's set too low.

14. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

I was talking about the AI. Nothing you can do about it with player's setup.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. azaris

The AI is supposed to be able to make setup changes, but it seems they're stuck running around with 50% boost.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

The complicated thing is that the Ams2 IA is without mercy. @ Long Beach, for example, is pushing and pushing , and you must lap at your best every time, when you slow down a cent, the damn think take you out. In qualy, the IA drive like there is no future and you are sleeping with his wife.
    In real life if some dude is a bit slow, you brake, you not scream Geronimoooo with a knife between your teeth.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Do you find the same thing at more open tracks? There is an additional challenge programming the AI for tracks with closely spaced walls.

In general, the AI seem very clever at avoiding contact as long as your pace is somewhat reasonable (i.e., the AI strength is set reasonably close to your own skill level). What the AI in this game and all others do not deal with well is "chaos." Chaos=us humans driving erratically because we are still learning the track (or car) and are not yet able to run consistent lap times. In real life, you are not allowed out on the track to mix it up with the pros until you are at/near that level and able to run very consistent laps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. azaris

The problems remains that on some car-track combinations the AI have super-human grip out of corners so after every corner exit your rear-view mirrors are constantly filled with 5-6 buzzing hornets flying side-by-side behind you until you manage to outbrake them into the next corner and leave them in your dust. No amount of consistency will help with that, they just have more grip because they're on different physics.

• Agree Agree x 7
  19. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

I know the track, and i have a decent lap time (tt first 2 or 3 page). And is the same with 85% s and 40% a

In Rl if your car have a problem or the driver is slow, nobody is ramming you in the back.

I m a fan of the death combo, city circuit and open wheel

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  20. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, this really needs addressed as it spoils racing certain cars against the AI (some of my favourite cars :(). Not sure if part of the problem is that the AI are just too perfect on the throttle - in AMS1, you would often see them lose the back end a bit on the throttle, I don't think I've ever see that in AMS2.

• Agree Agree x 3