1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.3.4.0 RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 7, 2022.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I wouldn't say this is "true," but it is a matter of preference. This is why Reiza has split the Default and Default+ FFB profiles. Default is closer to steering rack only forces, while Default+ tries to communicate lots of other subtleties.

Of course, whether you like to feel the "seat of the pants" forces translated through the FFB/wheel is not only a matter of personal preference, but could also be affected by ownership of a motion rig (or lack thereof!) :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

the only way to achieve a true simulation is with a full motion rig with probably 8 different axis.
    feeling the rear is quite important to driving irl , but most of us only have a little motorised wheel clamped to a desk or other ridged platform.
    so there has to be something that allows you to feel something your brain can distinguish as rear behaviour otherwise you are missing half the information a driver has in real life . which we are all wanting to simulate.
    the problem comes when some sims over exaggerate it or some don’t have anything at all until it’s to late (R3E ) , therefore it is delayed information.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

That's my common experience with ACC. The back end starts wanting to be the front end with no clue that it's coming. Sure I could probably find ways to tune it out, but when I can jump into AMS2 and be running something challenging, but fun with superb graphics in less than five minutes, why bother?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I personally really like the AC non C FFB, the dampening feels like I am actually moving tyres on the ground. Lately I'm finding AMS2 to be so free spinning, so much so that I've increased the dampening to 70 in game and I still have weird overly loose steering. I have DRI off in my Wheel yet AMS2 feels like it is set to 5.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

O.K. let me write it that way... I have may more often unintetionally spun out 90's M spec'd 200+hp BMWs at speeds less then 60km/h for real, then compared how it hapens in AMS2. What lesson ist that trying to tell me?
    On the other hand, I have never experienced that amout of understeer and unwillingness to turn in in at speed over 60 km/h in a real 2021 VW Polo TSI. What lesson ist that trying to tell me?

The middle ground beetween AMS2 and ACC, that might be the sweet spot, but no Sim I'am aware of exists that is there in this spot.

I'm in search for a Sim that replicates my own driving experinces in a plethora of brands ranging from VW, Mini, BMW, Mercedes to Porsche at a power range of up to 300hp. I have not yet found it.
    ACC and AMS2 are close, but onyl close. Both just represent the upper and the lower range of "good", the "sweet spot" is not yet met by any so far.

I also don't want a Sim to teach me a driving style that will get me in trouble in the real car....And I've been at that point after the first year of COVID when all national tracks where practically closed.
    Im pretty aware that you can do a lot of things in this sims that you wont get away with if you try it for real, and if it's just breaking something on the car.

Have you ever noticed the amout of lost parts like front-, cup- spoilers and wheelcaps and the amout of damaged rims after a public trackday, mainly due to contact with curbs?

6. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Yes this is exactly what I've been experiencing lately !
    Not sure if it's always been this way but more often than not I find myself thinking that the wheel just feels too loose and free spinning . I've upped the dampening in game and reduced the wheel speed at driver level but still doesn't feel like I'm actually moving rubber on tarmac .
    I'm using a Simplicity SW20 , have to say everything else feels fantastic but just not enough weight for me .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

Does sim racing teach you anything for real world driving?

8. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

Track knowledge work pretty well. For the rest is is important to choose a cars that is close to what you use, and to recreate the ergonomics. I want a sim for trying out some extremes that I would not dare for real, but in fact RL a lot more "unexpected" incidents happen even on tourist trackdays. No Sim can get even close to that complexity.

My first sim was Micropose Grand Prix 2 in 1996, my first unintentional BMW "drift" was in a E34 525i in 1992, the year I got my driver license.
    We have come a long way since then regarding what Simulations for consumer PC can do... but still not quite there.
    I never feel all that confident about grip, understeer and braking distance in a real car, compared to both AMS2 and ACC. The sims are very predictable and very forgiving regarding the abuse of the simulated cars.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  9. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

On the other hand it's also unrealistic to feel nothing.

Live For Speed simulates only effects to the steering column. Overall I like the it's FFB except that you're left to manage RWD 'approaching the limit' and oversteer on memory and visuals.

When I boot up AMS2 after playing LFS, I always appreciate the added feedback I get from AMS2.

• Like Like x 3
  10. deekracer

deekracer Active Member

Your for sure in a different league than I. I barely drive in RL and when I do its a Scion Xb. I never even come close to any limits. Never feels close to a sim.

11. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think by now every sim boasts that their FFB is "based on real steering rack forces", yet they all feel totally different. A lot depends on your gear and settings there-in.

On my low-end wheel, most cars in AC feel like there's a bag of cement in the trunk, no information from the rear wheels whatsoever. ACC cars feel more grounded but the forces are very vague and uninformative. rF2 feels like every car is a monster truck with the suspension motion and weight transfer signal overpowering everything else. AMS1 is kind of a lite version of rF2. R3E is kinda of a more informative ACC, although most of the feel is just various stages of understeer. AMS2 is a good mixture of cornering forces, a little bit of weight transfer, and some small effects from rear slip and brakes. Plus the best road feel I have experienced.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Agreed. + In a nutshell nicely put. None perfect here but not poor. (Tried the mini/bmw affter above posts, yesterday, reminded me of my old mini back in the day thought it was not cooper. Old tyre in ams2 is pretty good (imo) after reading all this comparison pages, even tried acc yesterday but game crashed on startup ! . had to run it as admin just to get it to run.

13. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

This can be changed with the Custom file. I also had to correct

14. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Also custom files require to be updated often as Reiza keeps updating their own phyiscs and FFB

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ricardokil

Ricardokil Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You said it all, but for some reason many didn't notice the change, version 1.2 of the game talking about Stock for example, was the best so far, after 1.2 it didn't have a more realistic driving, the car seems not connected with the track , even when braking.
    I may be talking nonsense, but I feel that tire physics is generic for everyone, it's good for some and bad for others, I hope I'm wrong, but all the big physics update this happened, as it got worse for cars that many don't play end up passing without realizing it, the 1.2 update has improved for a lot of cars of little use in the game but many have complained about the GT3, GT4, the GTEs were very good, 1.3 has improved a lot GT3 and GT4, but GTEs, Mini, StockCar among others have worsened a lot, adding that brakes were very sensitive...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  16. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Basically all the tyres had to be changed before Christmas because they found some bug. It improved most cars but broke some cars. Among those I feel was the Stock Cars. I suppose they will get fixed over time.

17. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

One thing is for sure: tires are not generic. They are class specific (some classes are occasionally bundled) and all the classes that were listed as changed were changed individually

18. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Some tires have similar properties obviously, because they're also similar in real life. (Which of course doesn't mean, they're generic.)

The discovery and fixing of the syntax error for tire components has improved some cars but also revealed some lack of massaging for others, because tweaking for some months wasn't having the effect, that was intended and even caused some cars to drive completely different.

This shortfall of valuable time needs to be catched up of course. The positive aspect of the former quirk no longer influencing any outcomes in unreasonable results really helps with that certainly.

• Like Like x 4
  19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Is this related to the loose free spinning steering feel that some cars have?

20. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I read about this FFB behaviour, but not very likely. This also doesn't happen here really, so i can't comment on that.

• Informative Informative x 1