1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.6.1 Officially Released - Now Updated to V1.4.6.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Shoveit

Shoveit New Member

Hi, all! Long time reader but no posts yet.
    This last update vanished the soft lock of my wheel. Strange thing is that I found an year old topic when this change was made to the FFB, but on my side was working till now. I get it that may cause issues with some DD wheels but in my case is exactly the opposite.
    I have an old Driving Force GT, but to me is a lot of fun and it works great with AMS2. I play mostly online and racing some cars with small in game steering lock now after the update, it feels weird when things get tight in some battles. The wheel's driver is an old software from 2010 which causing problems when running in the background so I keep it out of the way otherwise my wheel and the in game wheel are out of sync and have to use the whole 900 degrees of DFGT no matter of the car I'm racing

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

When reading the posts about soft lock, then I have to report something as well.
    It seems that open wheel cars have lost a soft lock (F1 cars (doesn't matter which series/generation) , F-Inter...
    With GT and Touring cars there is one.
    I haven't tested all cars but it is strange. Switching FFB settings inside AMS2 isn't a solution.
    Any help or hint?
    I use a thrustmaster 300 wheel.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Last night I trialled Group C at Spa 93. The supposed new balance was false hope, the C9 still runs circles around the other 3, where GTP holds a distinctive advantage over the Nissan (which has questionable setup range and drives like an overpowered boat) and the 962C, which still is the most fun to drive, but is slow. Fuel consumptions are quite similar, and while the C9 does take more, it has more than enough pace to dial back so it matches the mileage while keeping an advantage.

4. Shoveit

Shoveit New Member

After reading your post I've done a few tests and to me the issue is all across the board with all the cars I tried. The only one that feels right is Vette C3-R but it's because the car is around 900 deegres lock in game to begin with. Judging by you and the guy few posts behind, it seems there is an issue, but it's kinda hard to catch that's why more people don't notice. I'm pretty sure this behavior wasn't present pre update.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

I'd like to know why more cars are without drivers...

Is that because changes are being made to adapt the new 91 helmet to all of the content (best case scenario for me) or has activating the overrides for the clothes caused issues with certain cars?

Either scenario makes sense to me atm... The Porsche RSR 74 having no drivers has sparked this thought from me... Unless they were using the modern helmet, like the Group C cars do (please change this it's the worst template to work on), I can't see any reason to change that one yet...

Of course given the madness engines history it could simply be changing one thing messes with another thing that is seemingly unrelated... So I guess Reiza might be in the same boat as me... Hope not...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Demeisen

Demeisen Well-Known Member

Okay look, this is easy to settle.

I've just come back from visiting Bathurst during the Austrailian monsoon season. This picture is one my wife took of me, looking from the summit towards the pit area:

1600-MadMaxFuryRoad.jpg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 16
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Accurate! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

It's working normally in beta, but gone for all vehicles (I tried a variety) in the release version. I will report internally.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Completely random, but for those who enjoy trying the more unusual and exotic vehicles in AMS 2, here's an entertaining video about the Superkarts. My experience in the game matches everything in the video!!!

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Why would you want all these GC cars to be the same pace? It really boggles my mind why the call to bop every class?

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
  11. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's still insane to me that anybody would drive these things IRL let alone race them against other people. Motorsport is fairly safe compared to decades past, but these seem even more dangerous than 50's F1 cars.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Theoretically, we have two options: either tweaking some perfomance traits of each car so we bring them closer and all have a shot at winning, or we do a realistic recreation of each car with performances as close to real life as possible.

At the moment, we have neither.

13. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

This one please.

• Agree Agree x 13
  14. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I can confirm that some cars don't have the kerbs effect in FFB but have it in telemetry (since my buttkickers turn on).

15. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

True... these are absolutely insane, right there with MotoGP levels of crazyness.

But I think the shifters are the best version of kart out there:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 5
  17. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There is a massive aspect about real life that this conversation tends to leave out. These cars cost money, could develop the car and had to follow regulations. If other Group C manufactures could copy/paste the C9 without cost they would've. Would that have made Group C as exciting as it was? No it wouldn't have.

I could see a "let's mirror real life as close as possible" angle working in a purely single player sim. But in multipayer? Unless you choose series with incredible BOP (which would basically rule out all vintage motorsports) you're gonna get something even more unrealistic than a car being slower/faster than it was irl. A grid full of Sauber C9's more than whats actually been produced, I find that much more immersion breaking as it's practically waved in your face throughout the whole race. Which leads to the biggest problem.

If Reiza introduces 100% realistic BOP then Formula Classic Gen 2 becomes pay to win at the very least. That car should've won all 16 races in 1988, and is easily one of the best cars ever to exist and very convincing arguments can be made about it being the single best racecar of all time. Online you wouldn't be able to compete, especially in open lobbies. Is every host in AMS 2 now expected to know the exact amount of ballast needed to put on the McLaren before other cars maybe have a chance? Should Reiza be stretched even further so they can calculate the exact perfect amount of ballast for each car at each track so the average Joe doesn't have to? Big fat "no" on the first question and a "well if they really want to but I wouldnt" on the second.

I do truly understand why you would want 100% realistic BOP, but we're gonna have to make sacrifices to get that. Do you want much anticipated things like multiplayer fixes, Nurbergring 1971, Lemans, the last premium track, the adrenaline pack, dlc parts, AI fixes, and/or working saftey cars/caution lights to be delayed more just so the times can match real life without causing problems on the multiplayer side of things? Sure most of these wouldn't be effected, but someone would have to work on one of these things less so they can make room to work on finding recommended ballast settings.

For me, the only way forward while trying to keep both camps happy as well as making it feel worth it is expanding AI customizability. More specifically a way to edit the cars "effectiveness" for various aspects (like power, aerodynamics, etc). Not only would it be a way for people to "undo" the BOP to make the cars more in line with their real life pace but it would also make it possible to simulate customer teams in a more realistic way! Is it the perfect solution? No, it would take a LOT of effort (even more than the whole finding the best ballast amount for reach track and car thing) but what you get on the other end is a much more customizable experience. Leaving the research up to the people who were already doing said research instead of the average Joe who just wants to race, something that if you want to ignore you can.

Even then, it's really debatable whether it'd be worth it but I figured I should suggest a possible route to go that I feel would be better than the ballast solution.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

I do understand where are you coming from. No matter what, you cannot take a solution that makes everybody happy. But you also have to question if the "everybody will go to the C9s" is that important, given that the majority of people don't even want to deal with these beasts.

The reason I don't want for the current car roster in this class to be 100% accurate, is that it's very anachronic: you have two 1989 spec Group C racers against one 1987 Group C and another one which I think it's from 86 or 87...but it's not even a Group C! From that baseline, it feels pointless to aim for pure real life recreation if these cars were never exactly racing one against the other. The game is already placing ballast in some cars (watch the weights, they are all over the place in the three Group C cars), and you have extra dubious bits, like the R89C and the GTP using 4 way dampers when that technology was very much on its infancy and had not even made its way to F1 in 1989.

Whatever is the plan, the class deserves more attention. Said it before, will say it again: either you BoP them so they are all competitive under a league scheme, or you recreate them as realistic as possible and so be it. We have neither, and the class feels a bit without clear methods of working or goals.

• Like Like x 2
  19. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

Is there any changes with pedal feedback recently?
    last week i noticed fanatec v3 pedals vibration going crazy.
    i turned on suspension in FanaLab.
    then feeling is awesome.
    not even Abs or Tc. surface feedback is great.
    if you have v3 pedals must to try it.
    (sadly, i think it depends on pedal motor conditions.)
    i refer v3 pedals to tune my nextlevel hf8 vib pads too.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

The argument for BOP in MP is far too overblown for me...

Yeah sure expect a field of C9s in a public lobby, just like you can expect no damage, no mechanical damage and the default set ups... But in league racing there's a lot of leagues where the spread of the pace of the cars can be matched up excellently with the skills of the drivers...

Some of the best league events and series that I've been involved in have been with a different kind of BOP and with the full fields being represented in all their simulated glory...

The aliens get the slow cars and the backmarkers get the fast cars... I have so many great memories of rFactors many great F1/CART historic mods where the league editions were frowned upon by the majority of the league because they wanted realism...

With the Group C cars I'll admit it's a bit of different problem as one car is out of date compared to the others and one is a GTP... Which is why I called for the 2 classes... A group C where the C9 is dominant and is more realistic about it's chances and a more even GTP class...

For many reasons though I do want more AI options... As any type of skinpack with these cars with 10 Saubers and only 10 Porsche's isn't going to represent any year...

• Like Like x 2