1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to buy AMS2 - some questions regarding features

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Johnny91, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Johnny91

Johnny91 New Member

Hi,

i`m using playing sims since the good old GTR2. Currently i am driving iracing with its +1 AI, but cars getting old, lightning is not polished well, no rain, not much animations and such.

So im trying to move to AMS2. The tracks that are coming are really appealing to me, like Bathurst, Spa, Silverstone etc.

What i drive: Mainly i drive GT3 Cars, but i also really like Le Mans Prototypes. In general i can say, multi-class Endurance GT/Prototype racing is my cup of tea.

Like i said, i`m still coming from GTR2 with its awesome features for endurance racing, with now a year of iracing doing only testlaps and since AI is released, some AI racing. What im really looking for is a die hard simulation with some good graphics for simulating a complete season in real time.

Call me crazy, but usually a season for me starts with pre-season testing with hundreds of laps on certain tracks in early march. The season with 6 - 8 races then starts in the middle of april and ends in november. In the season itself there is also a testday, with all the cars competing in the season. I want this to be real as possible.

To do this, i have a few questions regarding features of AMS2:

1. In real life it is not common, that when you are doing private testing, there are standing hundreds of tents, TV-screens, spectators, cranes and trucks at the trackside. (Hello ACC) You are alone with your team at the track, to do some pre-season testing, making a ground setup, doing some long stints, doing installation laps and such.
    Is it possible to recreate that "feel" and remove all this tracksideobjects maybe in options ?

2. Is it possible to set the time a session starts in minutes, lets say 08:07 ? Or even in real time, to set it in the options to start the session in real time, when you sit in your rig ? In GTR2 this was possible, and a great feel, when you started up the computer, no matter when, the time matched the time on your machine. Great feature.

3. How good the AI is actually ?

4. What is the max. of AI that can be on track ?

5. Can your car be taken over by an AI for a driverchange ?

6. Is something like a custom championship planned ?

7. What are the other features of AMS2 ? Is there a detailed list for it ?

8. Can i have my own customskin ?

As you can see, there are plenty of things my soul is craving for, hoping Reiza gonna include, or already are included in the sim.

Would love to hear from you.

Regards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

Dude it’s a video game that costs £34.99p, it’s not going to drastically change your life for the better or the worse. Buy it, enjoy it, have fun and don’t take sim racing seriously! To answer your questions, if you enjoy sim racing, you will enjoy and have fun with AMS2!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't think AMS2 is what you want just yet or if it's ever going to be.

This turned out longer than expected but I've written it now so...

GTR2 and Nascar Racing 2003 combined are head and shoulders above any of the modern racing sims for immersion, atmosphere, involvement and enjoyment. The AI in both games are enjoyable and challenging enough to race against and they do not detract from the fun.

The actual cockpit experience in the modern sims in terms of graphics, sound, physics and FFB is better, in varying degrees among the current sims out there, and AMS2 in particular has the potential to be right up there with the best of them but as far as offline racing goes, i.e. custom championships, it's a long way short for me.

It's planning custom championships and it's planning a livery feature of some sort but it doesn't appear to be offering anything to compete with NR2003's Opponent Manager where every car can be edited for driver name and number, driver rating, chassis rating, pit crew and strategy rating, livery editing (including import and export to more detailed graphics editing software) and inclusion or exclusion in varying rosters for single races or championships. The NR2003 replay system stores the practise, qualifying, happy hour and race, can flick from one lap to the next, from one driver to the next, show each driver's current and best laps, select various cameras including spectator and helicopter and also show the human player's throttle and brake input.

AMS2 doesn't yet compete with GTR2 regarding offline time trials with an expertly driven (human) lap of every included track and layout, it doesn't have the driving school that features a different car at each of the main track layouts taking the lap in various sections and then all the sections together.

Not all of the seven features you listed are included but some are planned. The AI are getting very good but they aren't there yet. They don't drive the same car as you or in the conditions so the immersion is shot in that respect. They're much better in ones and twos for hot-lapping rather than racing.

But for hot-lapping AMS2 is quite a standout among other currently available sims. The roster of cars is wide and they are all closing in on the individual fidelity of each one, there is a wonderful selection of circuits, some more esoteric than the current mainstream favourites, but there are no dull tracks.

I am in awe of the excitement driving round the Brazilian circuits, some of which have become outright favourites in sim racing and I never even knew of them before Automobilista. I abhor the inclusion of life saving chicanes in lieu of action enhancing high speed corners but in many of the anaesthetised tracks there are original layouts to cater for the enthusiastic old-timer who wants more difficult overtaking and less processional racing.

I cannot comment on any of the online features as I live in an area that doesn't yet offer the necessary infrastructure.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I couldn't agree more.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

1. No
    2. You can set the start time of the session. I don't think you can set it down to the minute but by the hour.
    3. The AI will be debated. I think the AI is good enough to have fun with.
    4. The number of AI depends on the track. i.e. if there are only X number of pit stalls, you can't have X * 3 cars. I do think it allows for 2 cars to share a pit stall.
    5. PC2 supported this so it's part of the Madness engine. Not sure if this will be added later.
    6. Yes
    7. Take a look at the dev notes: Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements
    8. Yes

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Johnny91

Johnny91 New Member

Thanks all. I will give it a try when the GT3 pack releases, screenshots look so beautiful. :eek:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

You know, once you get AMS2 you will realize that there is so much more than just GT3. There is so much to explore in AMS2 and you will be faced with a whole slew of new challenges that make you think that GT3 is maybe just a overhyped class. You will find it much more challenging to learn driving fast in a 150HP car than a 350HP GT3 car. You even will find how challenging it is to drive a SuperCart with 200 km/h down the Start/Finish straight in Imola. Just open your mind a little bit and you will be surprised how much fun AMS2 actually is.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Peter Nielsen

Peter Nielsen New Member

+1 on trying different experiences. I found out that I very much enjoy Reiza's approach to the v10 and v12 formula cars.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Aletdownofstate

Aletdownofstate Maldonado's Front Wing

Agree, the open wheelers are fantastic.