1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Simple Solution to The Devastating AI issues in MADNESS Engine, A Little Message to Developers

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Hany Youssef, Jun 12, 2023.

1. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, figured as much, still making them slower is the best compromise until or if it's even possible to make them evade them.

I have to try Kyalami historic as before the update, they couldn't manage the huge puddle that appeared on the esses, because they took it too fast and spun. The first corner at Silverstone historic as well, I imagine this new behavior should fix that.

Anyhow I am sure glad for all the work you guys are doing with the AI, thanks!

2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think saying the AI are "devastating" in the thread name is a bit extreme, yes there are issues but they are getting refined bit by bit, I wouldnt say they are devastating issues though.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  3. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

"Simple solution" and "AI"are mutual excluding in any game/simulation discution.

The only truth in it all is that any AI will show it's limitations and flaws as long as you experience it... the difference is only how much time you need to see it all.

BTW™: Your "simple solution" is exactly the lazy difficult balance used by Bethesda in every TES and FO game... and it's always a big fail.

4. Hany Youssef

Hany Youssef New Member

Any sim racing title has to offer 2 main experiences, both single and multiplayer experiences with the latter remains an incomplete experience in AMS2, it currently depends mainly on single player modes, that's why is has to offer a better AI than other sim racing titles.
    I didn't invent the "lazy" "big fail" solution, it is actually the AI difficulty setting present in 80% of sim racing titles like rF2, AC, and iRacing. In RF2 for example, you can change AI difficulty from a true 10% to a true 120%, that way you can virtually play with thousands of mods in rF2 without the need to wait for "presets" of AI calibrations of thousands of car/track/wet/dry combinations
    iracing.jpg rfacor2.jpg
    *RRE and ACC do not offer extended AI difficulty settings but instead they offer alternatives; "adaptive AI" in RRE and "unified physics engine for player and AI" in ACC.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  5. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Since now we know there is some rF code inside Madness engine I would suggest to use rF physics for AI (as it was for AMS) instead of current one.

AMS AI Physics and race logic were quite good (even better than actual ones imo). If we could port those to AMS (and add wet racing on top) I think could work well.

Even AI self calibrating based on player results wasn't a bad idea and it was a thing in the past and even now with RRE...it works...so why not? I would put that on the requests' basket too lol

Btw we don't know how complex and doable is coding such things so I wouldn't expect anything...take it as a good talk but always with maximum respect for devs in mind.

6. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Slightly off topic but is there any way to mitigate faster classes getting stuck/confused behind lower classes?

I tried P1 P2 + GT4 at Donnington National last night and once the P1s catch up to the back markers it turned into a bit of a traffic jam. The AI become incredibly indecisive. Should I just avoid multi class for the moment?

7. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Its easy to find your level. Do a quali session at interlagos in stock car brazil 2023 and adjust the ai strength so you qualify midpack with your best time. Your races will be much more fun.

As for aggression, lower it if they punt you, and raise it if they are lame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not really, that varies track by track. But you can try using a custom AI file and only use the Blue Fag conceding and set it to 1.0, that should help get the lapped cars out of the way.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm devastated...

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you.

Figuring out the Custom AI Driver tool and Names is on today's todo list.

• Like Like x 1
  11. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Not really.
    In my experience qualifying laptimes aren't very relevant since AI seems to always run with low fuel and they don't have to worry about tyre wear in quali, so their quali laptimes are different from their race laptimes. In my case I generally run 45 minute races so at the moment the most reliable way to check the proper AI difficulty level is to setup a 45 minute race, compare my laptimes with theirs, and restart at different AI level if needed.
    All of that takes time though, that's why I made the suggestion in my previous post.

As for making races more fun, I like to skip qualifying, start last and see how far up the grid I can get against competitive AI. :)

12. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

Replays in VR is totally broken
    Almost as if designed to irritate the hell out of someone
    They need to fix this before anything else