1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AM2 -- My thoughts

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Micropitt, Jun 18, 2020.

1. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Its just a manner of speech my man.

2. Cully

Cully Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah he is definitely gone that way for sure.
    I knew it a good while but since he was one of the first and go to sim creator/streamer for me i suppose i was giving him time to se if things changed but its got worse.
    Ill be unsubbing too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steelreserv

I like Jimmy, and I like his endurance racing stuff and used to like his F1 stuff. I also felt he did not give AMS2 a fair shake which is regrettable. The video sort of came across as something he did not want to do in the first place but felt like he had to and like @Jake Fangio said, threw a half ass video together. Producing YT content is work, I get it, plus he has no incentive to like it.

Ive discovered many new YT content creators recently looking for AMS2 content and there is variation of coverage and reviews. AI seems to be the biggest criticism, rightfully so.

Good news is it has gain a footprint and I expect release will bring another wave of coverage.

I found kenracing is focusing on AMS2. New channel but positive and fun to watch. Jardier has had some positive things to say about it recently. Ermin covered it quite a bit but fell off. Dan Suzuki mixed it in with his iracing stuff. RickyBrosh (who played PC2 alot) does not release videos much anymore. If anyone knows any other creators who they like, let me know! I will check them out.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jake Fangio

Jake Fangio New Member

Gamer muscle is probably my favourite YT dude. And he's just uploaded about AMS 2.

• Like Like x 1
  5. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

'They' say a lot of stuff on the internet and there's a lot of crap out there, just make your own mind up and decide for yourself. If you like something, who cares what chumps in bedrooms on the internet say? They are just desperate for likes and subscribes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Yeah Gamermuscle and Jardier are prob the only 2 who you can trust really, im not saying i hate any of the others, but alot have sponsers/paid to review or give a biased opinion.
    And both of the above rate the game very highly, you can't tell me that with as many followers as some youtubers have that the followers even play racing games or even own AMS2 let alone play it, there just as above sheep following the herd.
    If you like driving and aren't blinded by the bright lights you will know AMS2 is up there with RF2 as prob the best ffb/physics.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. JASON CHAMBERLAIN

JASON CHAMBERLAIN Member

Simracing604 has had a lot of nice videos about AMS2. He's very enthusiastic about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MaxSleepangle

MaxSleepangle New Member

Jimmy made a (now unlisted) second AMS2 video, a livestream. He was generally very negative about AMS2 and recommended against buying it in its current state particularly because of bugs. He did say he had some fun in places and if you like pCars you'll like the physics but for that reason, he doesn't like it and believes the Madness engine was a fundamental problem if you want hardcore simulation.

It didn't stop me buying it, but I have to say after spending some time playing with setups, I've sadly come to agree with him. I can't get it to behave in any meaningful way as per GTL, GTR2, iRacing (10yrs), rFactor1/2, AMS1, LFS, AC, ACC and get it away from that pCars 'point and floor the throttle' handling. Whenever I try it against AI, I'm initially slow until I remember "think arcade" and then just turn the steering and floor it and it goes wherever you aim. Something is very wrong. I very much hope the physics (tyres?) can be rescued because with the graphics and weather it would be everything I would want.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I have to agree sadly... I like what theyve done with ffb and custom files feel great. But I dont like the madness engine physics and while I trust they will tweak it, I think it was a mistake and wish they would make it closer to Ams1 (or rf1 or 2) which might not be easy. But only Reiza knows and hope dies last.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

The PC2 engine debat again. I am not sure i agree with both comments above when i compare the Ginetta in both games i like the AMS2 better and it feels more replicating what would be the real car dynamics

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelreserv

The physics are outstanding. The weight of the car is evident. The shifting weights under throttle and braking effect grip and is noticeable, as it should. There are distinct driving characteristics with stiff or soft suspensions. Im not sure what people aren’t noticing. On top of this, the FFB is outstanding. There is nothing arcade about it. This term should be banned.

The tire modeling is very general and very forgiving under a wide range of psi and camber settings. Thats the only knock. That affects the nuance of setups to a very large degree but makes the cars drivable for a wide spectrum of players.

AMS2 is way more intricate in a lot of ways which is beyond a player loading in popping in a default setup and then declaring “arcade”.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

The only thing ab out the physics, though, is go load up the Lotus 49 in Assetto Corsa, or the Brabham in rF2... From a stop, accelerate as hard as you can, and then when you get to speed, slam on brakes. The front suspension visibly and obviously unloads on acceleration,. and re-loads upon braking. You dont seem to get hardly any of this in AMS2. I love the game and how it feels, but this is the one thing that kind of puts me off. It was pointed out somewhere else, and it feels like the car more or less responds to weight transfer to some extent, but there's a visual disconnect that makes me reconsider what it is I am feeling.

13. steelreserv

could this be an issue with coding of the visual or perhaps the front dampers are stiff? Is the lateral load different in each game? That would affect how far the nose pitches when braking.

14. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

This Jimmi ****ting on Ams2 and doing hours of live of F12020?...youtubers are now on the money, like every thinks in the world.
    Now the simracing thing is bubble, when the coronavirus thing is over the usual enthusiasts will remain to support the market .

...And finally I can buy myself a new steering wheel without economic speculation (at least in my country ..)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  15. InfernalVortex

Actually I was going to make a video demonstrating this... and it is WAY more obvious now than it ever was before. Something has changed significantly here since v1.0.0. I dont know if it reflects in the physics, but it looks about right now! Thats awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  16. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

There is definitely an issue with the Formula Vintage. The tyres float an inch or so off the ground and the front suspension doesn't move when you brake. I will raise a bug report.

17. InfernalVortex

Are you sure? Because I just tried it and it looks way better now than it did before.

18. Beccobunsen

I read on the last update : Temporarily disabled some suspension animations fro F-reiza, F-V10, F-v12 and F-Ultimate, no in formula vintage...perhaps..

19. InfernalVortex

And that's curious to me too, because some of the F-Classics have suspension animations where they didnt before. I was pleasantly surprised by that!

20. Beccobunsen

My new problem is the bumpty bumpty thing in the openwheel models.., dont know if this is my problem, but i cant undestand the full logical on the world moviment camera thing.
    The shacky camera on/off dont work anymore (for me..). In barely whatchable in this moment.
    The cars start having delirius tremens when stopped, like a washing machine, (all reiza models for shure), i'ts shaking like 1967 fiat 500. There is a default reset button for all settings?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1