1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD FSR SUPPORT

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Ribeiros, Jun 3, 2021.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for the heads up on this.

Interested to hear how other people get on with it. I haven't tried out AMS 2 yet, but I did play around with it in a couple of other games, Baldur's Gate 3 and Lost Epoch. In both games the increase in frame rate once I had the scaling factor dialled in was really impressive, particularly in BG3, with only a small hit to image quality. That was scaling up from 2560 x 1080 to 3440 x 1440 so that is cool...but and this is a big but for me, in those games at least, losing the smoothness provided by g-sync even at lower refresh rates isn't worth it, the stutter was quite noticeable.

Might be perfect for those scenarios where for example night time/dawn + rain is unplayable though but ideally native support would be preferable. Anyway will try it out properly this evening.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. chonk

Had a quick play around in AMS 2, results are less than stellar unfortunately. When upscaling from 2560x1080 to 3440 Image quality suffers severely even with a scale factor of 1.01 for what was a relatively small boost in fps. The text in the UI becomes extremely pixelated and the shimmering at night is amplified to a point where for me it's unplayable.

I tested at Laguna Seca with a full grid, mixed class DPi, P2, P3, GTE. 7am summer time, thunderstorm. Gave it a few laps for field spread to occur. At native, almost max settings on a 1080ti I was averaging around 70fps. Using FSR @ a scale factor of 1.2 that was boosted to around 85fps but the image quality issues are absolutely not worth it. Curious if the result is the same for everyone one. Of the games I've tested so far this is the only one that has resulted in this kind of visual deterioration.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

I’ve tried it and agree with you. I’d rather run 70% SS than upscale from 70-100% with this due to noticeable degradation of image quality.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. chonk

Good to know, I think this comes down to the anti aliasing solution we currently have. It seems to be key in whether or not FSR is a viable option. I didn't try it with smaa will check later and super sampling would probably defeat the purpose in terms of overhead. Will have another go this afternoon.

More generally the tool does work though and is useful in certain games/situations particularly where you want to bring your minimum frame rate up.

• Like Like x 1