AMS1 working in VR

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by mr_belowski, Nov 29, 2020.

1. The-GuVna

The-GuVna New Member

Let me have a play and I'll get back to you :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. latorre

latorre Casi siempre dispuesto AMS2 Club Member

Hola, ¿alguien podría explicarme por qué mi simucube y mis pedales no pueden detectarme? Gracias

3. The-GuVna

The-GuVna New Member

Me trying to stream it for feedback :)

Twitch

The hud doesn't come across, and the frame rate was way better in the VR Headset than it was in the draw window. This has so much potential!

Sorry for the laggy high pitch voice, I think i had the stream window up which lagged the stream audio.

4. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member

can't really see much from the twitch stream - it's how it looks and feels in the headset that's important

5. The-GuVna

The-GuVna New Member

Yea the stream didn't really capture how good the persective looked, was so cool to look around the cockpit correctly in AMS1 after all these years wanting VR

Perspective looks correct, the main issue is the assets not staying drawn since the engine wasn't designed to draw outside its default drawview I take. I'm sure that will probably take a hit on performance if that gets fixed but thats to be expected.

Also I wasn't aware there was a slight lean the game does when turning, I thought I had all that turned off all this time, so thats a good indication on how well the visual imersion worked for me to notice that instantly :)

Happy to help with any other feedback. And thank you for releasing this & good luck with further development!

6. mr_belowski

increase the FoV in the game's graphics settings to get rid of the object pop-in. It impacts the frame rate tho - I have it on 90.

To be clear, you're using a Rift CV1 and the head tracking is correct and there are no distortions in the rendered image?

We've been unable to completely disable all the head leaning stuff - ideally the camera would be locked to the inside of the car but this doesn't seem possible.

7. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Just to help debugging but races at night in AMS are a problem since ever, fps drop is very common on flat screen.
    There is a cfg modification that I think can help... go to your Automobilista folder, User data, the folder with your profile name and open "your name".plr with a text editor. In there, find the line "Headlights on cars="1"" and change the value to 0. Right above there is "Max headlights" value, you can change that to 10.
    This should partially solve the issue even if due the way image is rendered on VR I wouldn't expect a smooth image overall.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  8. Bjarne Hansen

Bjarne Hansen Member AMS2 Club Member

On WMR here display are super but I can't end a session and get back to menus. Always have to Crtl+Alt+Del
    Otherwise it is really great.

9. mr_belowski

make sure you disable the "Exit confirmation menu" in the game's Display settings

• Like Like x 1
  10. latorre

[QUOTE = "Heppsan, publicación: 107102, miembro: 2258"] ¡¡Esto es increíble !! Lamentablemente, no puedo hacer que mis Heusinkveld Ultimates se mapeen en AMS1 ... :([/CITA-

desenchufa los otros perifericos, se soluciona el problema

11. latorre

Hago todo lo que me dicen , tengo unas hp Rebert pro, pero no consigo ver en VR

12. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I just forgot how utterly amazing CART Extreme is…had some laps with them at Laguna Seca now in VR. There have been two short 1sec freezes though but nothing which made me crash.

13. Serta Farenz

Serta Farenz Member AMS2 Club Member

Seems so.

It doesn't completely, but only in minor details. It is not VR in AMS2 and I didn't expect to be.
    No image distortion, no tracking issues - the contrary indeed, very fluid - No FoV issue, taking in mind I had to reduce the resolution.

This is excellent work (and we all know it's a clever hack - even more clever because it doesn't look like one ;-) )

14. Bjarne Hansen

Bjarne Hansen Member AMS2 Club Member

Read it several times and still didn't do it o_O
    Thanks everything is now great.
    Karts are so great in VR!

15. mr_belowski

thanks for the feedabck guys. Like I said earlier, the on-track image should be perfect here.

There may be some object culling at the extreme edges of the view, maybe some weirdness if your car is rolling over or upside down and the game might still be trying to move the camera a little to simulate head physics. But apart from those things we're expecting the on-track VR experience to be 100% perfect because of the way the plugin works. If it's less than 100% then I think it's a sign that our maths is wrong somewhere.

• Like Like x 3
  16. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Would your plugin also work with other games? Prey for example? Just curious.

17. mr_belowski

the basic approach - combine the HMD pose and eye data with the game's camera data, move and rotate the view point for eye1, allow the game to render a frame, grab the back buffer for eye1, repeat the process for eye2, map the resulting images to a Dx11 surface and send that off to the VR compositor - is fairly generic. However, the details aren't portable. Getting the camera data, moving and rotating the camera, forcing the game to do 2 render passes are all very game-specific.

For some engines it wouldn't be possible - e.g. the GTA5 VR implementation is unable to force the game to perform a 2nd render pass so has to render left / right eyes on alternate ticks

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Advanced Casual Sim Driver AMS2 Club Member

I've tested a little more and it seems like the issue with the slight syncing issues between the right and left eye is gone.

But the weird distortions on the Rift S are still there and it makes it still very nauseating to play for me. I've tried the enableCantedHMDRendering option in the ini file, but it didn't chance anything, so i disabled it again. If this gets fixed i'm gonna play the hell out of AMS 1 again :D *edit* I'm not sure about this, but it MIGHT be an aspect ratio issue, not an fov issue. But i can't check this, it's just an idea since the aspect ratio of the menus is a bit weird too. The steering wheel look relatively round, but when i move my head it gets distorted too.

Another thing i've noticed is that sometimes parts of the SteamVR background shine through in the menus. This doesn't happen while driving on the track, but some menu elements (the borders around the car icons in the main menu for example) seem to be transparent. Unfortunately i can't make a screenshot of that effect because it's only visible in the headset, not on the screen mirror.

19. Dani hc

Dani hc New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi, I see the game in steam environment but in 2d, not in VR.

enableSteamVRRendering `` 0´´ at 1 does not start the game.

with rift cv1.
    Some help?

20. noel spence

noel spence Member AMS2 Club Member

thanks for this have missed playing ams since i started using vr a couple of years ago , it works fine for me on an odyssey t but if i enable the hud i have big freezes which shut it down so i have to disable the hud ,also i cannot drive in the cockpit i am sitting on top of the car if i press 5 on the keyboard it enables huds but does not recentre me to cockpit ,any clues please