1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 Career - Web-based App Released!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by rsr427, May 6, 2022.

1. abesto

abesto New Member

o/ Whoops, somehow I stopped getting notifications about this thread (I'll fix that). Love to see all the excitement and ideas :) As mentioned, we have more ideas than time to implement them, so this is an explicit call: if you have frontend / React development skills, and time to spare, jump in, you're more than welcome! I try to keep a healthy pool of issues tagged with "good first issue" over at Issues · abesto/ams2-career.
    Replying to a few things:
    Agreed, that's something I want to have. Currently @rsr427 maintains the car / track data by hand, and while that's the case I think this is not quite feasible, but we may soon have some developments on that front.
    Here's an idea I've been toying with that may help here: would a button to force generating a new set of races help? It has the advantage that it's simple, it'll always get you a race you can actually take if you keep pressing long enough, and there's no way for it to break with future updates. Currently this doesn't exist so that you have a sense of "I can't just do anything I want", but this seems like a worthy reason to add it in. (Maybe hidden by default, enabled with a checkbox on the settings page). How'd you feel about that?
    What an idea :) I wouldn't know where to start, but I'm here if someone wants to kick things off!
    Just yesterday I added a cookie consent banner + a settings page to change it later that should clarify this. TL;DR: we use standard Google Analytics to understand traffic / usage, plus custom events about races recorded. No personal information - after all, the app doesn't ask for any, and so there's none to record. Of course in the future I can imagine things where more personal data would get into the app (like, how cool would it be if you could transparently store your progress in your own Google Drive or Dropbox or whatever). As always: you should expect transparency and accuracy around this, and I encourage you to hold the developers of the app, whoever they are at the time, accountable for it.
    Eh, I wouldn't say it's paused; it's more that this is strictly a past-time activity for me, and so it's very hard to make promises, commitments, or even strict plans. I try to take things one thing at a time, and be transparent about plans / ideas by capturing things on GitHub, so that even if I disappear for some time for whatever reason, not too much knowledge is lost. (Did I mention having a few more active devs on the project would be great? :p)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. TexasSpecial

TexasSpecial Member

I finally found time to give this a try. While the interface is a touch confusing I finally figured it out. I ran two races in the COPA class. I found the car and track selections a bit odd with COPA racing at Oulton Park. I prefer to race cars on tracks where they would race for real.
    In any case, I would likely Never have raced the Puma, but I am glad I did. The cars are a lot of fun to drive. Just enough horsepower and grip to keep you on your toes.
    While I know I did not set any records, this was definitely worth my time. I was starting to lose interest in AMS2 racing in favor of other sims that have Career modes. This program has brought me back.

I wish that it did have the ability to store my progress so I can review on my phone vs my PC. But I know that's not at all a simple request.

In any case, thanks for the App! I will be using it a lot more.

• Friendly Friendly x 1