1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 Content Manager

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by john Ellis, May 16, 2023.

1. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

Using paoloambrosio's new converter script, I converted every Thunderflash mod and then enabled all of those along with every PCARS mod (cars and tracks), VRC mods, the KAOS IndyCar, and pretty much every livery set around and let paolo's AMS2 Content Manager activate everything all at once.

Screenshot (28).png

The whole process only took a few minutes (about the time needed to savor a quality beer), and AMS2 fired right up afterwards. If you haven't tried out paolo's AMS2CM, I strongly recommend you start managing all of your mods with it, rather than JSGME, especially if you are adding additional cars and/or tracks.

Here's the link: Automobilista 2 Content Manager

Note to modders! For AMS2CM to extract things properly, zipped mod files should not have the root \Automobilista 2 folder inside of them ... a properly zipped F1 1983 mod will simply have the following folder path, for example:

\F1 1983\UserData\CustomAIDrivers &
    \F1 1983\Vehicles\Textures\CustomLiveries\Overrides\

When activating remaining sets of AI files that lack accompanying liveries (e.g., like my NAMeS mod), I had to retain an empty \NAMeS - Minimum\Vehicles\Textures\CustomLiveries\Overrides\ folder pathway inside the zipped mod to get the AI files to show up when using AMS2CM (see attached mod). Paolo may naturally address this issue in a later release, but this workaround is effective for now. Also, the name of the zipped file and the name of the root folder inside of it do not have to match, which is convenient.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. paoloambrosio

paoloambrosio New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey John, I was not aware of this problem... and I've just noticed that I missed your messages earlier this week on RD's Discussions tab. I'm looking into it.

P.S.
    Haven't tried NAMeS yet but I definitely will. Huge effort!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Interesting, I do have to get around to trying the CM...

How does this work with optional installs?

For instance the Indycar 2023 will come with optional Indy 500 team crd entries alongside the optional MyTeam entry... Are these just automatically installed or are you able to choose which crd's are loaded in via the CM?

4. john Ellis

At this point, I would probably make separate zipped versions of the indy mod for each unique .crd file and title the zips accordingly. Prior to launching the sim, I would include the specific zipped version I wanted and put it alongside other mods in the Enabled folder. AMS2CM will insert all those files into the sim, and then whenever you want a different crd, just swap out the new Indy zip file the current one, and re-run AMS2CM. You could even just make various separate .crd-only zipped files to handle different scenarios and swap those out alongside the base Indycar 23 zip file, to save HD space. Just name the crd zip so it gets installed after the indy mod so the unique crd overwrites the standard crd file.

I’ve personally used Paola’s mod a lot the past few days while compiling a slew of AI files for most of the AMS2 car mods out there. For me, the app is bulletproof and an absolute game-changer for AMS2 development. It’s open source, too, so the potential for others to add additional, relevant features is exciting.

Last edited: May 20, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  5. paoloambrosio

Indycar 2023 is handled as a special case by CM at the moment. MyTeam is not going to be installed: it looks more like a template for users to create their team rather than something that should be installed as-is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Scar666

That's probably pretty straight forwards, to me the old method seems easier... But that could be because it's no different to a livery override or AI file to me... Just a couple lines in a file and I've got the teams I want... And the whole old dog new tricks thing probably making it sound harder than it seems...

Maybe CM could be improved by adding a choice of CRDs within a rar when multiple crd lines are detected?

The MyTeam is set up to be used as-is so that users can just slide in their liveries via the modding method or the livery override method... They can leave it vanilla (IE MyTeam) or rename it themselves to whatever they want to without going through the hassle of actually setting up a new car/team if they don't want to replace any of the actual drivers of the series... They just have to replace a couple of textures and they even get their own team logo...

The AI file doesn't pick it up if you select the right numbers for the track either... Which isn't a problem at Indy with it's limited grid slots...

I do hope that the CM is integrated with AMS2 by Reiza at some point or that Reiza can find ways to make mods easier to install... As the CM allows a lot more people to enjoy mods...

7. john Ellis

Thunderflash uploaded v3.0 with the Clio Cup--and he includes the option for an AMS2CM-friendly installation. I have already included the appropriate AI file for that series here: NAMeS+AI for Thunderflash AMS2 Mods. The Clio is a great, lower-powered FWD alternative to the JCW MINI in AMS2 (Clio Cup: 182 Bhp vs MINI JCW: 270ish Bhp).

Thunderflash's own custom AI for 2010/11 GT1 and GT3 mods do not import, however, as his AI zip files do not contain the empty \Vehicles\Textures\CustomLiveries\Overrides\ folder I mentioned above.

Once you get the knack for AMS2CM, it really is a very easy method for switching between mods.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I had issues trying to install the Inmotion Revolution using CM. Does someone know why it came up with an error when trying to open the file?

9. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I stopped using liveries, AI mods, etc. because it was hard to keep track of what was installed. Now that I know what needs to be changed to make them CM-compatible, it's easy to see what's installed. I just deleted both folders, re-validated it all through Steam and re-installed using CM. Works great!

It would be really nice to have a mod database someday so we could easily import what john Ellis created in the first post. It would be really cool to easily download custom liveries, AI characteristics, seasons, etc. all in one go!

I guess all we'd really need to make something like that today is buy-in from the creators to have their mods hosted on another platform, someone to organize it all (which might already be templated based on the first post...), a script to download what's necessary, convert anything that needs it, etc. This could also help with compatibility to avoid overwriting something on accident.

What is really great about the AMS2 community are passion projects like these (and NAMeS, RCO, Racing Life, etc.). Something about AMS2 draws in so many talented people and the community benefits from their work. Even more now that CMs popularity has grown!

10. Racinglegend1234

Might be possible when CM gets GUI

11. paoloambrosio

I have added specific instructions earlier today after reports of the mod not working on RD.
    It is incorrectly packaged as a zip file, but in reality it is a rar archive (you can see the warning when using 7zip to extract it). Just rename the extension of the inner file from zip to rar and it should work.

• Useful Useful x 2
  12. john Ellis

Wish granted: NAMeS: Real Drivers for AMS2

Scroll down to the NO-Names list.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scar666

I tend to notice what's installed when I go to the livery select screen... As most skinpacks have noticeably different previews to stock content... And I'm pretty good with knowing what year is which...

But anything that makes things easier and more accessible is great...

This I agree with, there does need to be a reliable download place for AMS2 mods and one that works in the way you're suggesting...

The issues are in the set up, moderation and costs/adverts involved and finding the right person to juggle them...

14. john Ellis

Gosh, has RaceDepartment really gotten that bad?

15. paoloambrosio

It turns out that I simply wasn't considering UserData when trying to find root directories inside the mod archive. This will be fixed in AMS2CM v0.1.5 very soon. Fix tested working with "NAMeS Real Drivers for AMS2 v4.21" that does not contain a Vehicles directory (and would not previously install any file).

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Racinglegend1234

When is the GUI arriving?

17. Scar666

So far yes things have gone downhill since the merger, and they aren't offering what TronLi was suggesting either... Which is more like Steam Workshop as I understand it...

The whole Porsche part of the takeover doesn't bode well long term even if download speeds and accuracy is improved, as we all know car markers don't like other car makers making money from their IP...

18. john Ellis

For my part, I haven’t ever felt that rFactor2’s Steam Workshop feature provided a significant improvement over manually downloading and installing mods for other sims. As I recall, my annual subscription to RaceDepartment cost me around US$11, or 14 Euros, and any download was always easier and quicker than other sites that have wait times, generate sketchy popups, or always prompt me to install Opera GX. Moreover, as a modder, I can transparently document information about updates, etc., and anyone who googles for “AMS2 names” or “AMS2 drivers” is immediately provided a link to my mod. In contrast, the original post that announced my mod at this forum has long since been overrun and forgotten by subsequent posts.

Like most modders. I don’t have any financial benefit in recommending RD, but I find it a satisfactory platform for sharing ways to improve the sim for those willing to make the effort—even if that effort is just to ask for assistance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Scar666

It completely removes the manual part of the equation...

It's a similar step improvement for a Steam Workshop type environment over the RD environment as it is for the CM over the JSGME environment... It greatly enables more people to try mods... The more the merrier I say...

As a modder myself I've used RD for many years (from when the racing there was free), it's just not what it used to be with slow downloads and dud downloads causing people to redownload mods because they got a broken version of it as most people don't bother with a subscription to RD... Or in a lot of cases just post links to elsewhere for their mods to be download cleanly and at speed instead of posting the files... Which then causes issues with RD who don't like links to specific sites...

The whole Porsche part of the equation spells it's days are limited to he length of leash that all of the car manufacturers choose to give their lawyers... All those annoying adverts that people complain about giving Porsche money off of the back of other manufacturers IP... Ferrari once shut down a browser base management game just for using the term Ferrari...

So it's not just the AMS2 community that need a new place... It's every racing sim community that has mods...

20. john Ellis

Natural Selection at work: The US Pits gives way to NoGrip … NoGrip gives way to RaceDepartment … RaceDepartment gives way to ???

Also, we can’t have it both ways: If Porsche and other manufacturers decide to defend their trademarks with vigor, there will never, ever be a convenient, automated, one-stop mod workshop with historic/realistic content. Better keep your search-and-download-and-install skills well honed….

Last edited: May 21, 2023