1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 Dedicated Server Tool / SteamCMD Support

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Dave Stephenson, May 29, 2020.

1. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Right, now we are getting somewhere, so the report is more, this setting does not behave as expected. I agree and there's not much reason that can't be addressed afaik.
    You can atm :p

• Like Like x 1
  2. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

2 more requests I would like to see:
    1. Allow the admin to set the option to allow cars that have returned to the pits to continue the race after repairs and 30 sec wait timer for towing.
    2. Allow the admin to set the option for cars that have pulled over to the side of the track and stopped not to be teleported back to the pits after whatever is the default timer. Reason being, sometimes our group does reverse grid races and cars have to line up in reverse grid order after the race has started. Unfortunately some folks who stop moving get teleported back to the pits and their race ends.

3. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, i dont see any point in a towing penalty myself, since having damage and needing to pit for repairs is penalty enough imho, only sim i know of that has this is Irenting, for me it just adds to the frustration of first having crashed, second needing to pits.

For the second point, it would be much nicer to see a reverse grid option build in, so you wouldnt have to do it manually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dave Stephenson

Guys lets please not turn this thread into a wishlist thread, it really is supposed to be for support

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Kro

Kro Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Apologies,:rolleyes: I think we (admins of MP servers) are just hoping for a form of 'MP support' so we get carried away on this topic here in this 'support forum'. :D
    Ok, not a wish but a workaround for one of DWP's requests:
    "2. Allow the admin to set the option for cars that have pulled over to the side of the track and stopped not to be teleported back to the pits after whatever is the default timer. Reason being, sometimes our group does reverse grid races and cars have to line up in reverse grid order after the race has started. Unfortunately some folks who stop moving get teleported back to the pits and their race ends.
    As an example: What we do at SRO is add time or 2 laps (if using laps over time) to the session and then we do what we call a 'manual formation lap' nobody launches on the green light, instead(as its 'league racing' commutation is already a standard so everyone knows what to do) we use this time to reverse the grid on a slow formation lap or 2 where everyone stays to the right if they need to move back & drivers that need to move ahead pass on the left , we add 2 laps (or minuets) to give plenty of time to sort the order & then do a rolling start where race starts at the line of the 3rd lap. This way nobody gets sent to the pits. You are however stuck with a rolling start but were ok with that;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

That's basically what we do as well, but organizing a 28 car reverse grid while moving can get tricky and once in a while someone will mess up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. John Manetti

John Manetti Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks, I noticed that reading the guide, but it would be much more freandly if you created a GUI to be able to make the dedicated server easier, and be able to actually modify all the server command lines, without impacting in having to find dedicated and try the lines command in the file .ini
    I hope you have a similar multiplayer feature in mind to make it easier for leagues and leagues to program them.

8. John Manetti

I want to report even if I'm off topic, a very serious bug in the multiplayer section, which comes from pcars2. That is, when you enter a lobby with a different car than the car you previously raced in another loby, you will be kicked off the server after about 10-15 seconds.
    In order to access the new loby with a different vehicle, you must first create a loby on your own with the vehicle you intend to enter and then re-enter the loby where you were hunted.

this bug was reported to you some time ago by someone else but it has not yet been fixed, and this greatly affects the quality of the multiplayer because people enter a loby but are hunted because they come from a game with a different vehicle, and they think it's the bug server. Please fix it

9. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

not every bug in a development process can be fixed by call.
    It will be commonly entered in a list and then entered in a priority queue.
    And we all know, Reiza's list is long ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. John Manetti

thanks, I hope this bug is put at the top of the list, just because the multiplayer really needs it, looking at what AMS2 can offer.
    I believe that if Reiza put more attention on the development of multiplayer and ranked races, it could bring more and more users here. I hope there and I cheer for Reiza.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

After a couple of hours fighting and reading this thread, I was finally able to make the dedicated server work and show up on the list.

In my case (as it always is), the problem was my own dumbness. I forgot to enable my router's firewall (step 1 below), so the .exe was running flawlessly, I had all my ports forwarded as needed, but obviously the port forwarding was not being applied because the router's firewall was not enabled...

So even though nothing on this post is new, I'm writing it just to help folks out there to not overlook the step 1 as I did.

For those who are still struggling to make the dedicated server show on the multiplayer list:
    1. check that you have enabled your router's firewall, otherwise it might not apply any port forwarding setting you might have set
    2. check that you have port forwarded 8766, 27015 and 27016 to your host's local IP properly, both with UDP and TCP
    3. check that you have either disabled Windows firewall or added an exception for the dedicated server runnable
    4. configure and run the server as extensively explained through this thread
    If you have followed all these steps properly and your server still doesn't show up on the multiplayer list inside the game, then you might be in one of the following situations:
    1. your router is one of those low end junk the ISP gives you, therefore it may not be able to port forward, even though you did port forward through the web interface
    2. you are behind a CGNAT/LSN, therefore there is nothing you can do about it, other than ask your provider to give you a fixed public IP
    Lastly, never add your computer to a DMZ, unless you are absolutely sure about what you are doing.

12. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

Pertinent to the above, interested to see if anybody can see a server when I run one as I haven't actually applied a lot of the mentioned steps...

Lobby name: #TSR | Caterham Triple Practice.
    No Password.

EDIT: Server now down, will be back up tomorrow.
    EDIT: Back up.
    EDIT: Ah, so I did indeed have to port forward etc. PS: To the user dometres???Something who joined, the leaders were in Superlights, not Academys. Hence the 1.43 times. :)

Edit again! Well waddya know, now the server actually shows up...Typical that I keep getting disconnected after random amounts of time. Tired of the constant issues, thought I'd come back to AMS2 and try the dedi stuff, but same old story.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  13. TekNeil

Hmm. Using this, port forward testing tool, it's showing all the ports as closed. But I think people can join? o_O
    Either way, I've had cars (A.I) going around with one AND two wheels missing, cars floating, cars leaning over heavily to one side, pit boxes on the track. Such a shame these bugs are still around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. sgsfabiano

Those port testers usually fail. Mine show as if 8766 is closed, but it is open and I can find and join my own server.

Regarding AI on multiplayer sessions, they are not only useless but extremely detrimental to the other drivers than the host. Apparently the AI either completely ignores other drivers that are not the host or their behaviour is computed with a big delay and by the time it is done they have already taken out the other human drivers.

When I join lobbies and find they are filled with AI I quit immediately due to that.

15. Chin

Chin Member AMS2 Club Member

Not true in my extensive experience. A buddy and I run online races w/ AI every week, never had this behavior.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. sgsfabiano

which classes?

17. TekNeil

Is there any way to select a specific model from a class in a multi-class setup? I can't see anything obvious? For example if I wanted to run the Caterham Academy (I can select this as a class just fine) VS the Chevvy Chevette (I can't select this as a class as it obviously includes the other copa classic b models).

Good to know regards the ports cheers, seems it's been showing up alright of late even if the port testing sites say otherwise.
    As far as the A.I, I've seen both extremes TBH. Sometimes they seem alright, other times it's as though one maybe has an issue and then it causes a knock on effect and turns them all to sh|t.

18. Dave Stephenson

not possible atm I'm afreaid @TekNeil

19. TekNeil

Ah...Cheers @Dave Stephenson
    Hopefully that's possible at some stage in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Chin

Chin Member AMS2 Club Member

Many... We just ran Hot Cars last night; it was just the 2 of us, plus 10 AI...ran bumper to bumper at Hockenheim Short. We just did a 6 race multi-class (w GTE) championship in the Porsche Cup Cars without this behavior (did get some disconnects in recent weeks, though). We ran with 24 AI for that championship. Recently did the Copa Classic FL for a few races. A couple more in the last ~6 weeks that I don't remember right now.

• Disagree Disagree x 1