1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 Dedicated Server Tool / SteamCMD Support

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Dave Stephenson, May 29, 2020.

1. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, also having the host changed a lot doesnt help stability it seems, but have 1 guy with a high ping does affect everyone

2. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

it only changed after a restart, we done that on purpose, the experience when racing was pretty solid still though, no warping etc etc

3. Roy Niessink

Yeah, apart from the flying/invisible car bug, it can be quite solid

4. mklengel

mklengel New Member

I want to create a race with 16 drivers. Up to 12 of them should be real, the other 4 should be AI drivers, so Grid Size=16 and Max Players=12. There is an option to fill up the grid with AI drivers but it doesnt work. The starting grid shows only two drivers. Any hint how to solve this?
    For my specific config I attach the server.cfg, hope it helps.
    Regards, Michael

Attached Files:

5. WhippyWhip

how much difference does making the server tick rate faster? i'm using emporer server manager and it says it was every 60ms which seems rather slow

6. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

there are two settings for it, one for when there are active sessions and one for when it's just listening for server browser/new host allocation requests.

Defaults are 10 for actove and 50 for waiting. There is also an upper threshold internally for queed packets and reaching that will cause it to tick immediately so the active setting is really the worst case timescale.

If you have 60 for active I suspect you'll have some noticable increased latency when the server is lightly loaded. Probably even in full servers with clean running. If clents in your server are relatve local and on reliable connections you may not see a huge difference when you reduce it. The value is a tradeoff against CPU use, if you have the headroom available it will be worth experimenting with lower values and your server's typical use case

7. WhippyWhip

yueah i was surprised to see it as 60 and 120

i have set it to ten, i have a mini pc 4 core n5105 11th gen who's only job is literally this one game server at a time, do you have any recommended setting for it regarding server tick rate? i assume it'll be more than enough for sim racing servers

8. Dave Stephenson

I don't for specific cpus, there's just too many to reasonably test and I don't have something similar on hand. I suspect you'll be fine at 10

9. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Has anyone noticed variable weather has stopped working in multiplayer?
    We've been able to replicated this consistently during our multiplayer races as our group tends to do a lot of dynamic weather races. It doesn't matter if a race is based on number of laps or timed, the issue persists. The weather doesn't change if you have 2 or more weather slots selected. It keeps the weather that was selected in the 1st weather slot through out the entire race.
    We noticed this happening after the massive physics update. At 1st I thought it was just a fluke but it's been consistently happening when we setup multiplayer races on the DS with more than 1 weather slot.
    In the pre-race lobby, you can see multiple weather slots set up,
    eg: Light cloud 1st slot to light rain 2nd slot.
    Which means the settings are being done correctly on the server. It's not the 1st time I've done dynamic weather races, I've been using this feature since the PCars2 days. And the races are 25mins or longer, so it's not because the race is too short.
    But once the race starts the game just ignores all those slots and keeps the weather pattern selected in the 1st slot. I'm hoping a fix comes out as soon as this is verified, it's one of my favorite part of multiplayer races.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  10. Kro

Kro Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I will check it out, we have been using "real weather" with the current date & that's working on our servers with rain turning to lite clouds and ice-cold temps with brown grass and no leaves on trees at red bull ring in our "same day/date as real" last race ..

11. WhippyWhip

what does it mean when players show as [unknown]?

when i click on their name it shows their profile fine but in the mp game it says unknown. really get fed up with this MP experience now, our first league is not a great experience so far

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Roy Niessink

We did a 45 minute testrace yesterday for the upcoming community cup, during the race we had 4 weather slots, set them to sync to race, and we had weather changes, slot 1 was dry, slot 2 was rain, slot 3 was overcast, slot 4 was clear again, all worked as it should, started in the dry, then we had rain, then the track dried again.

Only thing i can think of why it doesn't work for you is maybe you havent set it to sync to race, as i think it can stick at slot 1 for a long time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. DaWorstPlaya

Thanks, that might be it. I had the weather progression set to "1" -Realtime instead of "0" -Sync To Race. Thanks for the heads up gents.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dave Stephenson

Should be one hour of real world time per slot in that instance +- a bit of random transition offset iirc

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. DaWorstPlaya

@Roy Niessink that was it! I'm an idiot. We did a weather race last night and it worked wonderfully. Thanks so much.
    @Dave Stephenson thanks for the info on weather slots.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Wolfgang Lütkemeyer

Wolfgang Lütkemeyer New Member

Hi
    We have a dedi Server running the Nordschleife.
    Unfortunately, people are always disconnected from the server.
    At the moment we really have no idea why that is.
    Does anyone know the problem or even has a solution?

We would be really grateful for help.!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  17. WhippyWhip

well our first season has finished, horrible laggy experience, i doubt i'll be bothering with another one

18. Roy Niessink

I dont share that experience, but we have only people with fairly low pings, lower then 100 in our races in general, biggest issue for us is the floating/invisible car issues.

Do you have people with higher pings in your races?

19. Roy Niessink

Does everyone get disconnected or just some people, we notice very rarely people getting disconnected, not sure what could cause it

20. WhippyWhip

yes we have a couple ppl from over the pond, plus we had someone invisable at one point, this whole system is just crap, i'm done with it, seems like you get better performance by just creating lobbies in game without the server, but then you have no way of doing a league unless 100% manually