1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 Modding Support Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Modding' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 20, 2023.

1. robillard3381

robillard3381 Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Not necessary a problem if you only have the bodywork, just like the 2D template we already have. Porting to another game only the bodywork of a car without interior, chassis, details etc... is not really interesting :p (my modder's POV, no dev. I speak for myself here, not on behalf of Reiza. I don't know if anything will be done about this)

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

True, although for someone desperate to get a certain car in an other title it's a starting point that they could swap in other assets from the game they are using, as the bodywork can hide many sins... Seen it many times... But there are better ways to port these days...

I remember there was an issue with F1 2020 models being shared as just the bodywork around due to licences, which adds another layer of hold up to 3D templates...

I'd much rather have them, but there's a few too many easy reasons that I see for why we don't...

3. James Manning

James Manning Member AMS2 Club Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned but what about a built in mod manager like Euro Truck Simulator 2?

4. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Honestly I think Steam workshop is better

edit: I forgot ETS2 also have workshop

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Scar666

I mean we do need a replacement for Porsche Department before the other manufacturers see Red from all that advertising money being made from their brands and IP...

Steam Workshop or a dedicated AMS2 site similar to the Euro Truck site would be great...

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Pandytim99

yeah I agree 100% RD is getting too many red flags recently

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Can you please elaborate? I’m interested

8. Pandytim99

Deleted the indicar mod for AMS 2 twice without proper explanation and then reinstated and the site is being aquired by porsche if I’m not mistaken

and when corpos get in the niche zone they always ruin it

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Racinglegend1234

Thought I’d was something more than the Indycar, but that was bad

10. Scar666

Basically anything that isn't an AC mod gets attacked over there... There's been a lot of rF1 and AMS1 content that has been taken down without a decent reason...

All it takes is one nutter saying it's from this or that and without actually checking any files it goes down... But if it's AC it doesn't matter even if it's a rip...

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Racinglegend1234

Probably AC gatekeepers who don’t want a sim to be as popular

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Wow what Bullsh*it. AC mods get taken down all the time on RD, as long as somebody reports them as ripped of course. A lot of them stay up because nobody bothers reporting them.

13. Scar666

That must be a community issue then where the fanboys of AC rule the roost... As there's plenty of AC rips up still on there...

As long as the employees over at Porsche Department take the words of randoms who just feed conspiracy theories to them and don't actually take the time to check the files then it's not a trustworthy site...

The whole manufacturer ties part just means it's a ticking time bomb anyway...

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Pandytim99

The bigger issue really is corpos getting involved as modding does work on the edge of copyright and trademark laws and some corpos hate that

so theres the risk of more restrictions than the stupid ones RD already have and even more vagueness as corpos love being vague

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Apex

Apex Active Member

In PC2, there's a 'tracks' folder with TRD-files that you can open with Notepad and edit basic info for each track, like track name (as shown in-game), default date (affecting season/light), race types allowed, standing/rolling start allowed, max number of cars, and so on, and so on.

In AMS2 this information is encrypted (I guess), but I'd love to be able to do the same as I found it very useful for customising track details so I could just pick default settings in-game, and things would be to my liking.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. henri-sanfer

henri-sanfer Henrique Ferreira AMS2 Club Member

It could provide only the bubble with unrefined meshes. I believe it would help a lot.

17. Apex

Apex Active Member

FYI there's a similar file for the cars in PC2 named 'Vehicles' with CRD-files where you can edit basic car info like name, class and production year. So for example just for giggles you can label the generic cars what they obviously are and change the wrong production years.

I believe these are some of the reference files for the excellent custom grid tool, and you can easily create a 'custom class' by editing these files manually and use any other class as a 'buffer/storage' for cars you want to exclude and include any type you want in your favourite classes. I suppose AMS2 is organised in pretty much the same way, but again the files are either encrypted or/and compressed.

All these customisations are harmless in the sense that they do not affect the performance of the individual cars in any way.

18. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Since it's hard for modders to make their own tire compounds/carcasses/treads, it would be super helpful if Reiza worked on and included in the game files a series of extra tire data that wasn't necessarily used by Reiza's own cars, but rather could be used by modders and spanned the whole history of the rubber tire, from 1930s natural rubber & cotton ply tires to super soft dragster tires to studded ice racing tires…

Reiza makes the technical fundamentals, and modders can make a large portion of the content that will keep AMS2 alive for many many years.

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Brett Nagle

Brett Nagle Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Agree it would be nice if this was in game, but there is a way to do it. It would require access to the RCF files so not easy to do as you'd have to manually pull those for the cars you want everytime the games updated.

I did this though for a lot of car classes in PC2 days and have tested some of the newer mods that come with RCF files for AMS2 and it still works.

20. Brett Nagle

Brett Nagle Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yup the CRD files contain the car class info that can be edited to move cars from one class to another.

Editing the RCF files were what allowed for multiple custom liveries, you could change tire manufacturers per car, or even hide specific cars so only certain ones would be visible to select.

• Informative Informative x 1