1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 physics - wet track and puddles - issue

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Carlos Panades, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Carlos Panades

Carlos Panades New Member

The game has the best image quality of all Sims in VR and Reiza did a great job! you guys nailed it!
    I like the game physics a lot and I noticed that many improvements has been done in the last updates. The FFB is quite rich and allow us to determine what the car is doing and it feels great. Grip progression from dry track to slightly wet feels ok, but when the rain gets heavier is where the feeling is not that good and makes less sense.

But, driving in wet surfaces (specially in Thunderstorm conditions) and over puddles is something that may be improved in my humble opinion. I will explain what me and a friend noticed.

If we drive with radial tires or wet tires in Thunderstorm condition (Imola track for instance) and we pass over a puddle at 20 km/h the puddle throw us away. Such types of tire should be able to drain water enough to avoid that car behavior. Even at a bit higher speed, the tires could drain more water and the car behave more naturally. Also, if we are in a curve and we hit the edge of a puddle in the inside of a curve, the car slides up to the outside of it, taking time to regain grip even if the tire is already in a less wet portion of the track (with wet tire). If that happens with a slick tire I would understand.

Also, slick tires has more grip than it should under those track conditions and I was able to control it too well maybe (lost the car sometimes tho).
    If anybody want to check how a 1200hp car performs with slick tires under heavy rain, can check my vid:

I thought would be nice to report this so the developers can look into it if they think this can be fixed/improved somehow. The game has become one of my favorites and would be awesome to know if
    this can be done or if it's a Slightly Mad Engine limitation which don't allow it to be tweaked.

Thanks

• Like Like x 3
  2. Carlos Panades

Carlos Panades New Member

3. 250swb

250swb Active Member

I have to tell you that if you drive over a puddle at 20kmph in a thunderstorm on a wide rain tyre you neither have heat in the tyre or any downforce acting on it, it becomes the equivalent of a slick. It just doesn't work how you imagine it does. A rain tyre in full downpour relies on heat in the carcass, and to get heat into the carcass it needs to be driven hard. I know it seems counter intuitive but it's exactly the same in the dry with a sticky slick, if you don't drive it hard enough to generate heat it won't work and the 'sticky' compound slick acts like you are driving on ice.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. PolePositionBR

PolePositionBR New Member AMS2 Club Member

Please ignore the video language, because it's spoken in portuguese.

I made this short video for a friend, and on youtube the video is not listed public (only being visible by this link).

I'm posting here just as a reference for how narrow tires behave.

Even when I go around corners on the limit, water puddles behave as if they were oil on the track, the idea is just to show one more perspective

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 3