1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti aliasing

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

spot on!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

It has to be...:confused: we need better AA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Duncan Halliday

Duncan Halliday New Member AMS2 Club Member

I've noticed in VR that the shadows directly in front of the car (half a meter or so) are sharp and look good, then it instantly changes to the lowres shadow. So I wonder if it's more of a LOD/draw issue?

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Well its clearly not just shadows !
    I cant race at night because of this distracting shimmer from the body parts of cars when headlights light them up ! Heck its even visible on the tyres of the V10 Formula car not at night !
    This needs to be fixed badly ! It was an issue in pC2 and is no better in AMS 2 :(
    ss171932.jpg ss165744.jpg

It doesnt look that bad in stills but like the shadows , it looks horrendous in motion !

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. 2ndLastJedi

I dont care what type of AA gets implemented , a bit of blur is so much less distracting than all this shimmering and flickering from shadows and cars under certain conditions ! The only time that this isnt an issue is in overcast conditions during midday ! If Reiza wanted us to drive during the day they would have just stayed with AMS 1 .

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Paul Cohen

Paul Cohen Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

Yeah agree. The AA is bad. I really hoped for a better AA than Pcars2. It is a little bit less but far from ideal. Night races are put aside. Can’t get used to the shimmering is to distracting for me.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

How do you know that isn't also shadow-related?

Look at the LED display in the new Puma P052. I am betting that mess is also somehow a result of misplaced shadows...since other LED panels in the game look fine.

Just my theory at the moment...I am not a graphics expert (except as an assessor of what is good quality ;) ).

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. 2ndLastJedi

I don't know it's not shadows also, it was just my assumption because it seemed reflection related but you may be right, I'm also no expert but also know what looks good and what doesn't well except for color related issues because I'm color blind but that doesn't effect how I see shimmer :p

10. kevin bruton

kevin bruton Waaylander AMS2 Club Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Paul Cohen

Paul Cohen Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, I tried all those and none of them worked for me. It's a deeper problem for sure.

12. eSTee3

eSTee3 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I can't say I'm as affected by this, as the OP is, but I would definitely LOVE to see supersampling not tank the fps as much as it currently does. Hopefully when the full release is available, some of these lower priority (in my opinion) graphics tweaks can be more polished.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 2ndLastJedi

Scroll up to post #96 (shadows) and 104 (reflections) of this thread, do you not see these issues when driving ? Night time and low sun conditions are the issue for me and others .

14. eSTee3

Do I notice them? Yes, however they aren't an "issue" in my opinion. They don't affect me, as that isn't as important to sim racing, as other features are. These are my opinions, though, not something I'm saying that you're wrong about.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. 2ndLastJedi

I feel the move was made to Madness for the visual upgrade and VR . The visual upgrade is supposed to really immerse the player , having these glaring shimmering , flickering elements really reminds me i am playing a game and really detracts from the realism .

I don't like doing it (but i'm going too) , i just played ACC at Mount Panarama 16:00 start x48 time progress in medium rain which took me through to sunrise , man is that impressive , it just looks so amazing and i didnt see one shimmering object or even have one dip in FPS at some pretty high settings ! I honestly looks like some TV footage every time i go over the top of the mountain or enter the pit straight ! Feels pretty nice to boot .

I really hope Reiza have ACC and can see the benefit of having clean visuals in a simulator !

16. Marc Collins

There are two issues. VR and the shadows-related Madness issue that affects ALL users regardless of VR or what size screen, etc. The poor aliasing and lower resolution of the shadows (until you are right on top of them) is undoubtedly an easy fix if you are willing to obliterate frame rates. Reiza and SMS presumably prefer a better solution.

The other Madness-related issue that drives me crazy, but obviously others less so since I rarely hear chatter about it, is the "invisible floor" in the cars that results in reflections from the road passing through solid metal and appearing in the interior of the car in places that should be impossible. I do not enjoy the strobing light show every time I pass over a striped curb.

It is sad but obvious that SMS did not fix either of these glaring issues in the interim between PC 2 and licensing their engine to Reiza. It is a bit much to expect Reiza to fix these on their own. I would presume that some discussions occurred about SMS fixing things and passing them along (the proper business relationship), since SMS should want to fix these purely for their own reasons for any future product. Did that get derailed by the Codemasters purchase?!?

All I am saying is whipping-up the general audience into a lather about this engine-based problems is highly unlikely to produce one iota of additional action from Reiza, whose hands are likely tied, but will discourage sales of the title. In an ideal scenario, only if Reiza sells a zillion copies of AMS 2 could they have enough resources to fix these on their own. SMS/Codies is the only organization in this hierarchy that could and should be fixing these graphics issues that ruin an otherwise very impressive presentation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. eSTee3

I whole-heartedly agree! ACC is easily the best looking TRUE sim out there. ACC started out pretty darned humble in its early access. No triple support... no VR... Horrible framerate... etc. That game is the biggest reason I have very confident feelings in AMS2 becoming great.

• Like Like x 1
  18. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

ACC is a blurry mess on my PC :) Still has a horrible framerate too.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  19. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

I think lot of VR users want to keep (and even improve through devs optimization) fps currently in the AMS2 so I hope all additional amelioration like best shadow, etc. will not affect this or will be proposed as options. I'm currently very happy and don't focus on this during a race but perfectly understand it could affect users.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Marc Collins

I'll agree with the blurry part, though that can mostly be adjusted out. However, you are left with shadows-related LOD issues that are almost the flip-side of the coin of the shadows issues in Madness. Unreal Engine is far from a panacea. But certain issues bother different people to a different extent...no question about that.