1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asetek wheelbase and rims

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by F1Aussie, Feb 8, 2024.

1. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Todd Norbury

Todd Norbury norbs AMS2 Club Member

3. Todd Norbury

Todd Norbury norbs AMS2 Club Member

You close to the NSW south coast? :)

4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Unfortunately not, north west Victoria, in Hicksville

5. olilem

olilem New Member

That is due to AMS2 not recognizing more than 32 inputs, while Forte level Asetek wheels have more than that (since the rotary dials can be set as up and down or individual positions)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. olilem

olilem New Member

They do have a QR adapter. Its wonderful, and there are many videos of people using many different wheels with asetek. I am using different company wheels myself without issues. Their QR adapter even allows to pass thru USB so you don't need to separately plug in the wheel.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. olilem

olilem New Member

8. Racinglegend1234

Well then, I didn’t check enough and I was wrong. I still don’t like their marketing and their “loadcell” pedals

9. olilem

olilem New Member

Can you explain the "Loadcell" in quotes? It is a load cell. There's debate as to how good or bad it is, but it is a loadcell. Unless you're taking about their hydraulic pedal which is a different system all together.
    It does work differently than other pedals, which has some people in forums loving to assume its bad. But I'm enjoying the experience with mine.

10. Racinglegend1234

It might be a loadcell, but it’s so soft that it works like a potentiometer

11. Siggi_Stoppschild

Siggi_Stoppschild Active Member

As far as I know and understand it, it's only a "low weight" loadcell, that does not meassure the pressure you put on the brake pedal, but it measures the remaining force, after you compressed the elastomer. So it's not actual the pressure you put on the pedal that controls the breaking-force, but the amount of travel that the pedal is doing. This is a different system compared to "normal" load cell pedals.
    I use the Forte Pedals with a way softer 3rd party elastomer and I think the brake feeling is fine after all & it is nice to control. The gas pedal is very, very good!

12. olilem

olilem New Member

That definitely depends on how you set it up. Its explained in their marketing material that you can set it with a soft phase or cut it out completely. Once you reach the elastomer it is in no shape or form "soft" and is a hell of a lot stiffer than my T-LCM's I previously ran.
    But it sounds like a lot of the reddit talking points against Asetek, which is fine. I don't think anyone is forcing anyone to buy their gear. Just read up on the actual gear before repeating what you read.

I've tried a lot of sim gear over the years, and ended up with the forte kit for a great price (about $1000 for wheel, wheelbase, and pedals) and am really happy with it.
    I recently purchased one of their new round wheels/button box, and a week later they reduced all their prices by 20%. And sent me a refund for the difference since I had just purchased before the price cut. So as far as I can tell they've been a great company and I'm really not sure where all the hate comes from. Some people do overhype things, and I get that, but there's no need to repeat things that are incorrect. Just my 2c.

Also thanks for disagreeing with my comment earlier. But AMS2 only recognizes 32 inputs from a single device. It is a current limitation of the game. Idk what you're disagreeing with. Here's a thread about it AMS2 not detecting all wheel buttons

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. olilem

olilem New Member

I didn't think about going softer on the brake pedal, it is a lot stiffer than my friends heusinkveld and I was curious about that, but I'm not having any issues with how stiff it is. What 3rd party did you go with?

14. Racinglegend1234

My fanatic wheels are all fully detected and my stream deck using Vjoy has more than 32 buttons and is fully detected. It can be an issue with how Asetek do it

15. Racinglegend1234

I’m just saying what I’ve learned from people reviewing it rather than what Asetek say and aunt you to believe

16. olilem

olilem New Member

Reviewers also said a lot of wrong things about AMS2 that a lot of people annoyingly repeated everywhere.
    Maybe things weren't great at launch for Asetek gear, I don't know that, none of the things you said are true in the current day are true about them.

17. Siggi_Stoppschild

I don‘t know where you are from, I‘m from germany and I ordered this one:
    Hohlpuffer Typ HP-1 Ø25/10,5x40 NR 55°Shore

This is a tiny bit softer than the softest one from Asetek and it feels perfect for me.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. olilem

olilem New Member

Here's a youtube short showing off their QR adapter. There's videos out there about how its setup as well, but this one is nice and short. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/j_CQvxfGfbA

• Like Like x 1
  19. Siggi_Stoppschild

I have to add another thing to this: You find some posts online that recommend to shorten the original elastomer or to put some holes into it.
    I tried that and I would not do it again. It barely made the brake pedal softer, but the overall feeling got pretty worse and the travel distance of the pedal decreased terribly.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That is pretty cool! Now that Asetek have broken the mould with that I hope others follow suit. I think I have decided on simagic Ultra and FX-Pro wheel to get started.

• Like Like x 1