Auto rotation on Fanatec Wheels

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by TrintaE2, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Kevin Cox

Kevin Cox Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Still not working for me either. Will re get a fix anytime soon on this?

2. Ernie

Ernie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That's really strange. I have the same wheelbase with same driver and firmware. SEN is on AUT as well, and of course the Auto steering rotation in AMS is on. And all is working fine here.

The only difference is, that i have just Win10 64bit Home and not the Pro version.
    As a side note: My windows user account is an administrator account. Maybe this makes a difference.

Can you do the following check?:
    • Set the max rotation in Fanatec driver (900°)
    • Run AMS
    • Select (as an example) the Formula Retro and go on track
    • Quit AMS
    • Check the Fanatec driver again. It should show something like 450° or 540° (can't remember the exact value), but not 900° anymore.

3. Kevin Cox

Yes I have tried that with no luck. This does however work in rFactor 2. When leaving rFactor 2 my Fanatec driver always changes the rotation to the last car I drove.

I am also logged into Windows 10 Pro as an admin.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. SirVanhan

SirVanhan New Member

Steering Wheel Model: CSL Elite wheelbase with CSL Steering Wheel P1 for Xbox One
    Driver Version: 293 BETA
    Firmware Version: 336
    SEN setting: AUT
    Auto Steering Rotation (in game on controller screen): Yes and No, same thing with Aut
    Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro, 1709 Windows Fall Creators Update

AUTO ROTATION NOT WORKING

As I'm new to Fanatec, do you have an unbearable oscillation too?

5. Sammy

Sammy New Member

I've been reading, (but haven't tried yet), that oscillation can be caused by the DRI, (or Drift), setting in the CSL Elite wheel. Below is the section of the CLS Elite manual explaining this.

6.3.6 DRI (Drift mode)
    DRI range: -05 ... -01 OFF 001 … 005 DRI default: -05
    The drift mode reduces overall resistance of the wheel and lets you turn the
    wheel more easily. It almost works like power steering. It reduces the basic
    dampening of the wheel in the range of -05 to -01 and makes the wheel turn
    faster in the range of 001 to 005. If the value is set to values beyond -05 (or if the
    games FFB interferes with this feature) you might experience

Someone also posted a similar question about oscillation on RaceDepartment.com, see link below.

PC - Fanatec csl elite oscillation problems

Try this out and let us know how it goes. Cheers.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. SirVanhan

SirVanhan New Member

Is the auto rotation and CSL Elite support being investigated for a future AMS bugfix (I don't know if there is going to be one) or do we have to wait for the future Reiza title?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TrintaE2

TrintaE2 New Member AMS2 Club Member

Still nothing?!

8. Kevin Cox

Think the devs have given up on fixing this @TrintaE2 :(

9. TrintaE2

Yeah, preety sure of that aswell. Apparentely there's a new firmware. I just noticed yesterday so maybe that makes a difference?! I'm sure fanatec has a role in this aswell...

10. TrintaE2

Steering Wheel Model: CSL Elite wheelbase with 918 wheel
    Driver Version: 293 BETA
    Firmware Version: 336
    SEN setting: AUT
    Auto Steering Rotation (in game on controller screen): Yes and No, same thing with Aut
    Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro, 1709 Windows Fall Creators Update

AUTO ROTATION NOT WORKING

11. TrintaE2

Fixed??

12. Sander Hogendoorn

Sander Hogendoorn New Member AMS2 Club Member

After quite a while I felt like installing AMS again after the last update, was trying for 2 hours to make the auto steering rotation to work (it always worked perfectly with my gt3rs v2!..).

Now I gave up and found this thread, sort of glad its not just me, hope it gets fixed.

13. TrintaE2

Yeah, been like this since build 1.4 or so...

Reiza PLEASE!

14. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Autorotation stopped working for me today as well on my Fanatec CSL Elite PS4. It broke when I opened controller.ini in documents\automobilista\user data to look for a way to apply some filtering to my FFB. Along the way I changed a few options, like turning off the LED stripe on my wheel base, small stuff. When I saved the file, it locked my wheel to 540° of rotation, as was specified in the controller.ini file under "user wheel rotation" (or something similar)

It would lock my wheel rotation to whatever value I set there, no matter what options I set in the game menu afterwards. Even if I set a fixed rotation in the menu it would still stay at 540. Restarting the game and rebooting the wheel didn't help either. If I set SEN on the wheel from AUT to 108 and back to AUT, it stayed set to 1080°. The only thing that helped was deleting the controller.ini file and re-assigning my controls, now autorotation works again.

I tested, and as soon as I open the controller.ini file and save it, it lock my wheel to (in my case) 540°. If I copy the file before editing and later recover it after the rotation setting have been broken, Autorotation works again.

Sorry if I'm unclear, I'm quite tired. I'll clarify if necessary :)

//edit: I'm more awake now, so I corrected errors and added details.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Auto rotation stopped working for me today, too! It broke when I updated the driver and firmware on my CSW. It appears that all cars are using the 900 (max) rotation from the Fanatec control panel. I tried turning Auto Steering Rotation ON and OFF; rebooting; deleting my controller.ini and forcing AMS to create a new one. Nothing fixes it, so it seems that the CSW has now joined the newer Fanatec wheels with this issue (based on what I read above).

This is massively disappointing if it's a wheel issue. Auto Steering Rotation is one of my favourite features of AMS. However, it is understandable if people complained that a game (rF2 or AMS) was leaving their wheels in various rotation states. Apparently there was no way for AMS to read the rotation value from the wheel before loading so it could gracefully put it back to that value upon exit but still manipulate it while AMS was in use.

If this is confirmed, I will see if there is way to go back to my old driver and firmware that had not caused me any issues.

EDIT: Good news all around.

1) I solved the problem by simply rearranging my controllers to ensure that the CSW was first in the list. I failed to mention that I had unplugged everything to do some unrelated work on my PC and had not put the USB cords back in the exact same places they came from. Auto Steering Rotation likely only works on the primary (first) controller as detected in AMS.

2) The updated firmware and/or drivers from Fanatec now lock the wheel in place at your settings. The wheel control panel no longer adjusts to whatever rotation AMS is using. So, perfect. We get the auto rotation and tighter (more realistic) steering for most cars in AMS, but no other titles are screwed-up by AMS (or rF2) adjusting things for their own purposes and then not returning it to the (usually max) settings we asked for in the control panel.

FURTHER EDIT: A bit of less good news.

The bump stop at the end of the auto rotation that occurs before the end of the wheel's full rotation (900 degrees for my wheel) is gone. The wheel just goes flat (in terms of FFB) once you pass the AMS car's rotation limit.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Marc Collins

@Renato Simioni thanks for liking my post above, but do you have a reply as to whether Fanatec versus Reiza should fix the loss of the soft bump stop?

17. Fred Crowe

Fred Crowe New Member AMS2 Club Member

Porche GT2 wheel owner here with same auto rotation issue. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

18. Marc Collins

Did you do as I suggested above?

Problems are solved other than the bump stop issues with the latest driver and firmware.

19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I just prefer to check the box that makes AMS do its thing and see what the rotation is for the car I'm driving and then adjust it down using the on wheel adjustment that way I get the correct rotation and also the bump stops

20. Marc Collins

You have a Fanatec wheel and still have the soft bump stops? You are not using the latest drivers, then.

We're all using auto-rotation unless there is a specific problem (I do not have one). Who wouldn't want the correct rotation to be automatically set by the sim?

The two are not related. One is a Fanatec driver change (I think so that sims can control the bump stops directly instead of generic through the driver) and the other is AMS auto-rotation function.