1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I made further tests on the default preset of the new version 1.1.1.2 but also on Karsten's custom .51 file (Logitech G920) ... the default is much improved, the rubber feels great, the sealing limit point is well identified, the road effects also feel better, the braking is wonderful again, etc. etc. ... if we then move on to Karsten's .51 file, the sensations remain positive and also all the effects and peculiarities not highlighted with the default awaken .... so for me the only remaining problems are:
    - the too pronounced elastic effect that seems to be connected to the suspension or to the rear traction (even if similar, it is not the pendulum effect of before that seemed connected to the weight of the car or to a non-optimized car physics);
    - central emptying (with relative vacant oscillation) in the first degrees of rotation.

These problems are therefore in common on both bases (default and custom) and cannot be solved with the game's ffb settings:
    - I tried low (50-50-50-0), high (80-80-75-50) and median (65-65-65-6) values and even if the sensations change, the elastic effect does not change and the feeling of emptiness in the center is not proportionately mitigated.
    - Even changing the values in the custom file does not bring the right benefit ...

So perhaps the problem is not in the parameters to be set in the custom file but in the code that must be updated to manage these oscillations or the management of the suspensions in version 1.1.1.2 ... it seems like an excessive self-aligning traction force that is not connected to the wheels (which feel great) but to the suspension and therefore in:
    - the changes of direction,
    - the changes of level
    - when the rear starts to skid on cars with soft and not very rigid shock absorbers
    - even the cars with the H gearbox are problematic in braking and downshifting in conditions of loss of grip on the rear, but many of them are also problematic in acceleration and especially in low gears (1st or 2nd) where thrust and / or turbo triggers the spinning of the wheels and the swaying of the rear ... etc. etc.

In these cases the elastic begins and it is difficult to modulate it with the accelerator and/or with corrections such as counter-steering ... these lead to starting a fight against this elastic effect that moves from right to left and from left to right ... which stops only by lifting the accelerator and waiting for the car to stabilize.

In fact the cars that feel best now are the high downforce cars with stiff suspension (for example the v10 gen.1 and 2, the GT3.......) ... the problems take over and increase using cars that are increasingly softer than suspensions .. the greater the softness of the suspension, the greater the elastic oscillation of the car and therefore of the steering wheel.

I don't know if I'm clear and legible ... sorry for my English with google traslator accent ... and thanks again to all of you for the wonderful work you do for us. ;)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Thanks for the detailed feedback Stakanov!
    V52 should fix the elastic effect issue, hope to post it late today or tomorrow.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I’ve had quite limited time to tweak etc.
    But i’ve not quite been able to decide between default and custom .
    Also just been trying Heavy messing 2.5 again due to favourable comments.

I never gelled with Heavy messing before , but since the updates in physics and refined reiza rack , i have found it actually pretty good now, like a set of tires coming good during a stint , i think the physics has come to it.

v51 has been tricky to find right feel. i suspect the different tire feel settings are part of that as that’s probably what stands it apart from default the most.

All 3 options are good though. and default has everything going for it bar adjustability in game.
    It really needs some extra sliders for some things.
    Id also really like to see the default custom file be a genuine representative of new default that we can see some things to adjust up or down to suit.

4. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

Sad to say I do not currently use custom. Its acting up with the wheel introducing what seems to be lots of clipping on turns after 520 degrees of turning perhaps. The red bar flys upwards to half way or more.

But this is not the main reason why, its lost its feel this 51 version. Its out of shape a bit maybe.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  5. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

Actually we all knew inside that one day Reiza will nail the ffb and there will be minor needs for custom files (Or it’s only me).
    I currently use .51 and felt better than previous versions.
    Maybe after Reiza make a few adjustments and provide more sliders on ffb; there will no need to custom files, just guessing.
    Anyway, Karsten really did a great work and I even think he encouraged Reiza to improve ffb with indirect ways.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Karsten Hvidberg

Right, it's not fully tuned for all cars & it's got a cpl issues we're working out.
    v52 hopefully fixes it well :)
    (But don't be sad, it's only great that Default is getting better & it makes life simpler to use it too)

• Like Like x 5
  7. Kuku Maddog

i haven’t experienced any clipping or even a hint of red . I even turned up all the sliders to levels that made it incredibly stiff and still no red bar activity .

8. Karsten Hvidberg

v52 posted just now.

This one feels solid again.

* Huge thanks to @Shadak for the great ideas underlining this file & hard work tuning it too.
    * Also huge thanks to Reiza @Renato Simioni @Domagoj Lovric for continuing to support the development of these files! Big time appreciated!
    * Fixed bug that prevented force to increase by velocity.
    * Changed the way over-steer works completely.
    * Re-adjusted values so "on edge" feeling comes from that being the case only.
    * Changed LFB behavior. Use it! It should NOT be set the same between car types. Center feeling vague, just jack it up a little up until it's too much, then lower it again.
    * Further improved rack & tyre calculations.
    * Fix to how tyre deform feel works.
    * All cars should be able to be set to feel almost as good as they can.

Direct link: https://forum.reizastudios.com/attachments/silver-raw-6-6-5-52-zip.13039/

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Id like to note that some cars that use small/thin tyres like F-vee or Caterham need larger ffb multiplier in setup (depending on the base gain) and formula cars with big thick tyres lile V10 and V12 need multiplier lower to not feel so heavy. Hopefully it will be possible to use same multiplier for all cars in the future. (or it could all be related to castor as Karsten says, I dunno but use the multiplier)

And yes, up the LFB if you like the floaty/elastic feel of default. On DD I use 12 and it feels just about right compared to RL GT race cars (including g force simulation etc.)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi @Karsten Hvidberg Is the line for self_aligning_torque_scale suppose to have a value, like .33, or is it suppose to be as it is in v.52 and be (blend (min 1 (* 3 lfb_slider)) 0.22 0.6))?? Thank you.

11. Michael Enright

So what you are saying is, the higher the LFB the more the floaty/elastic feel is? Thought it would have been the opposite.

12. Kuku Maddog

looks intentional. as the 0.22 is the .33

13. Michael Enright

Everything other line just has a number associated to it that we can adjust, and this is also the case in his other versions for this line, but this one doesn't. Just thought that line would be down further where we don't make adjustments.

14. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Kind of yea, it makes the center heavier and tighter but for some of those "effects" it increases self aligning and when you use a lot of it, it becomes springy/elastic at certain steering angles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Karsten Hvidberg

It's an experiment that tries to allow Lfb wider application so more vehicles can be made to feel good by that slider.
    Its made it possible for myself to adjust to make many cars feel significantly better without having to edit the file.
    If you know that a specific value works the best for you you can change it to a number and use Lfb traditionally.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. Kuku Maddog

@Karsten Hvidberg
    Had a short play and do feel like i’m likely to relax centering values a couple of points or so. and reduce scrub scale.
    kerbs might need a increase for me as they seem more tied to lfb than anything else as increased fx didn’t ramp up bumps much without increasing Lfb .
    The tyre feel is quite different in a good way. the wheel feels more full and real. overall it’s a step away from default which is good i think as there wasn’t much between them with 51.
    I noticed power steering was set at 0.0 .
    is this now redundant?
    I think it will be good once i’ve got it tuned a little more.
    I will be interested to see what @Alegunner68 and @Peter Stefani come up with .

• Like Like x 1
  17. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Kuku,

"Power steering" seems to not be required with these settings, yes, but it's subjective so kept it in at 0.0 if anybody needs it.

18. Kuku Maddog

only have tested with two cars so far. didn’t feel like it was needed with Porsche Gt3 .
    but felt like the group C was in need as high load got a bit stiff. but i guess static force reduction could achieve same thing

19. Karsten Hvidberg

Yes, the dynamic range of the Group C is rather large and rise fast, it could be that lowering LFB and/or gain helps.
    Otherwise adjusting velocity_scale down prob. helps too, but the power steering might be the best option to make it as well as others compress the output a little for non-very-high-end wheel bases.
    If you find some good value that helps across the board I will include in low&mid file versions next.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Kuku Maddog

here's my end of night tune.;)

I have gone with a fixed slider set up . 50/25/50/0 ( though im not sure about damper and what difference its making at other values if at all ? ).
    So I plan to just leave these sliders and reduce per car FFB when needed ( approx. 70-80 for high df cars) or refine tune.
    Centre's relaxed , slight reduction in self aligning force.
    Scrub freq raised instead of reducing scrub scale to smooth jagged scrub feeling.
    minor tweaks to bumps, and slight reduction in brake effects to be less dictating of wheel.

Seems to be working well across different cars and feels better than default , its more realistic in my opinion, while having a little more usability with relaxed centres.

• Like Like x 3