1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. GTR886

GTR886 New Member

it feels like that, but it only happens to GT1 cars.

2. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I hope you like it, for me it is the best file ever ... :whistle: ... and in any case I am a little ashamed considering that we have done so little and you so much ... I do not finish thanking even if it is repetitive!!! ;)

The things changed besides tightening are:
    (exaggerate_front_load_feel 0.1)
    (rear_grip_loss_feel 0.07)
    (brake_feel 1.4)
    (front_drive_torque_feel 0.8)
    (micro_bumps_scale 0.8)
    (kerbs_surface_scale 1.9)
    (kerb_bump_scale 3.1)
    (large_track_bump_scale 0.4)
    (scrub_scale 0.5)
    (tear_scale 1.9)

NAME: ffb_custom_settings - SilverRaw rFuktor 3.1 - tuned by Stakanov for G920 (Also G29-G27).txt
    WHEEL:
    Logitech G920 (Also G29-G27)
    IN GAME VALUE: 66-36-52-55 *
    * then, in the car setting, use +/- % of Gain for car to taste.

Note: Only if you do not like the sensations, because you prefer a greater decision and/or a more closed center, try changing the values in this file as indicated in the items below:
    "(tighten_range 0.12 or 0.16)" ---> Change this value in line 78
    "(tighten_falloff 0.0128)" ----------> Change this value in line 79
    This solution could be recommended especially for owners of the Logitech G29-G27 steering wheel, but only if you do not like.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

What is the usable range of this line now please? (limit_high_df 7.0) Still says 0.0 - 1.0 Thanks. Great work.

4. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I already had a comment from a friend that 3.1 felt really weak, so make sure to notate to all that the in-game "Damper Slider" now performs as a "Power Steering" effects slider.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

There really is not upper limit, I will fix the comment, thx. It makes the down force felt appr. 50% less every time you double it.

6. P. Stevenson

P. Stevenson New Member

3.1 c'est magnifique! :D

Favourite out of the box feeling to date, there's a very satisfying weight to the wheel now and cars feel like cars what higher praise can there be!?

Running a csl elite with settings of 65-50-40-50 need to tweak lfb and fx some more and I haven't even looked inside the file yet. But overall very happy, thank you to everyone who's contributed to improving the ffb and getting it to where it is today. Karsten is of course the main man here, but it's clearly been a huge group effort. Thank you guys! If things were stay like this I'd be happy, but no doubt things will continue to improve as they have done over the past year.

7. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

It's amazing how similar settings are occurring over different wheel bases.

we are seeing this 60-70 gain with 50-60 power steering across very different wheel systems.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BigNoseRacing

BigNoseRacing New Member

Please forgive me if this has been answered before.

Could somebody explain the naming conventions of the customer files.

"Silver Raw - rFuktor 3.1 - Momentum Rack 6.0"
    "Silver Raw 6.6.5.52 - Momentum Rack 5.6"

for example what is silver raw?
    why is one called rFuktor 3.1 & 6.6.5.52

9. BigNoseRacing

BigNoseRacing New Member

. apologies accidental double post

10. Karsten Hvidberg

"Silver Raw" is the name of the custom file.
    6.6.5.52 was getting long in the tooth, so switched when we had a new version that was significantly improved, but we could not start from 1 again, so added the rFuktor sub title.
    Momentum rack refers to the rack calculations in the file, since the file consists of both rack and various effects added to it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. BigNoseRacing

BigNoseRacing New Member

Awesome - appreciate the response.

12. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I think something may be wrong with me.

I’m using a CSL Elite and knowing very little about FFB took @Ray Sheppard settings as a starting point (70/50/55 with damping set to 50.) Everything felt very light and airy, I could feel plenty of detail and response but very little ‘heft’ to any of the cars I took out. I’m now running 85/55/50 with damping at 0. The GT1 around Nords still feels surprisingly light, almost like the MCR2000.

I’m also finding the centre of the wheel to be very light compared to what I’ve felt in the past. I’ve always had my gain set around 80-85, I guess I just prefer a heavy feeling wheel.....but I’ve no real idea what I should be feeling.

I’ve followed this thread with interest and used nearly all iterations of the files and love the feel of the details I’m getting but struggle to find the strength that suits me. I’ve never looked inside the file and really wouldn’t know what I’m doing - I’d also be worried about changing something I shouldn’t.

Does anyone have any recommendations - whether it’s that I have unrealistic expectations of wheel weight, that there’s a setting within the file that an adjustment may help ..... even a simple ‘git gud’ may help at this stage:D

This post isn’t supposed to denigrate the work of all those who have worked so hard on these files, its clear that there’s some smart and knowledgeable people out there....it’s just I’m not one of them it would seem!

13. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

(Forgive me if you already know this) The damper setting in these new (Rfuktor) files acts as a 'power steering' setting. This means the higher you have 'damping' set, the easier the car will feel to turn. If you want heavier max forces when turning, lower the damper setting. This can / should be balanced with overall gain. This new use of the damper setting makes it vey easy to find the right 'weight' for each user's preference. Personal taste is a huge part of the equation, but finding the right strength should be fairly easy this way.

Again, you probably already know this, so forgive me if you do, but the way you test the settings will have an impact. In different game modes, some cars start with colder tyres on a 'green' track (no tyre rubber previously deposited). I haven't tried the GT1 with the latest file, so I can't specifically comment on that car.

Hope this is helpful...

EDIT: Sorry, I just read your post again and I see you tried damping 0, so you can probably ignore what I wrote above. I'll leave the post standing in case it is useful to anyone else.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. Kuku Maddog

I’m not sure if there’s an overall gain setting in your wheel software that can be increased or not as a first option.

but otherwise you could increase master rack and reduce static force reduction perhaps.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

Ray and Kuku, thank you. Anything that comes my way in terms of advice or information is useful and gratefully received.

I’ve been testing more cars since my post and some, such as the Puma GTE and Caterham Superlight, are an absolute joy with the settings I currently have. My inexperience with certain cars may be an over riding factor providing an unrealistic expectation.

From what Karsten and others have posted I suppose each car will require gentle tinkering with the damping settings to get it to where I feel it best, it’s a setting I didn’t previously understand but now it seems simplified to be become a form of power steering I should be able to make the most of it.

I’m also reading between the lines, as neither of you appear shocked at my Gain setting, that this is very much a personal and subjective setting?

I’ll have a look in my wheel settings for an overall gain setting, my concern with having it too high was risking long term damage....as well as giving myself a ridiculously unrealistic feel!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Kuku Maddog

there is a overall lighter upper strength to this file, as in testing I was able to actually run 100 gain with higher power steering ( Damper) , normally that would be impossible for me, but many of us are using gain values in the 55-70 range with 50 power steering despite being on vastly different wheels. I find the weight very manageable but full throughout the range, with only extreme loads requiring some strong hands. In my opinion if you have to aggressively manhandle the wheel to get it where you want, it’s probably over the top strength.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@OMiT

I just tried the GT1 Merc and the MCR2000 at Nords with damper / power steering set to 0. Other settings were 70/40/55. Both cars with stock settings.

I think the GT1 feels a little on the light side in comparison / relation to the MCR, but a few clicks of per car FFB gain sorted that out. (110% of 70 = 77, so about where you set yours). Bear in mind there's a fairly hefty spoiler on the MCR, so high downforce corners will require fairly strong inputs. I've never driven anything like either of these cars in real life, but they feel about right to me in relation to each other (just going from their stats, and my downforce estimation).

Both these cars I would say should have low damper (power steering) settings, they both should feel pretty heavy in high downforce scenarios I think (I am not an expert, just my speculation). I think that changing damper / power steering when switching vehicles is now more useful than changing gain with these new files. Unfortunately this means the per car FFB setting that could be done on the fly is now less useful.

I don't know if this helps you at all, it's really hard to know what's going on / what your expectations are etc. Other possible avenues of investigation I would suggest: Maybe deleting the AMS2 folder (this has helped me in the past when things started feeling strange -just keep your graphics & ffb files). Fanatec driver (mine is 402. FW is 684).

Edit: Just another thought... probably not useful, but might be worth mentioning: My wheel is the PS4 version.

Edit 2: I think I may end up setting overall gain at about 75.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I’ll look into my Fanatec drivers later today, I really should do some work, but I believe they’re up to date but exactly which ones they are I don’t know.

I actually think that I may be best served, particularly with my level of experience, using settings that are at least akin to those you’ve found for the CSL (we’re both using the PS4 version.) I suspect it may be more to do with me than the file and having higher gain is actually hindering me without me necessarily being aware of this.

I’ve been testing more with the settings you posted and even after ten or so laps am finding that I’m beginning to understand the feel and movement more. I’ve shaved off several tenths consistently around Bathurst in the MCR, one of my favourite combinations, and wonder if getting used to a lighter load through the wheel may be ‘better.’ I don’t feel I have the experience to say realistic but ‘better’ is generic enough for my point. Small changes to fit my preferences can come as and when I feel I’ve actually got some better understanding.

I’ve got a lot of experience yet to gain so I’m more than happy to adjust my settings and learn rather than try to continue with what may be poor judgement and never fully understand the forces coming through the wheel.

I very much appreciate the help from you both.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Karsten Hvidberg

I think this might have been a flat-spot, just like @GTR886 was wondering about a similar "issue" :)

20. Karsten Hvidberg

We(@Shadak, @Panos Schoino & myself) plan to have a small online session this evening at GTM + 1. Lobby name will be "rFuktor" something. It will be quali & race on 2 undecided car/track combos, so straight on.
    Would be fun if some of you all are able to join in! Posting more a bit later.

• Like Like x 4