1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Update:

* "Center Momentum" auto amplitude fitting.
    * "Center Momentum" smart blending to only fill in what is missing.

Feels more natural & avoids too much force added on turning, specially at low speeds.

It's still "silver bullet", but a more mature and gentler v2.

Custom ffb file attached "Silver Bullet":

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. F.Santos

F.Santos Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's a consistent update Karsten, I noticed you removed some of the parameters and lowered others, it got me worried, but it's definitely really good.

The loss of grip around corners is quite cool, I'm using Curitiba to test your FFB cos of the heavy braking at the end of the straight and slow corners after, and for the fast long curve leading to the main straight.

Had for the first time ever the experience of understeering off track quite bad with the sprintcar, not a criticism more of an observation. I also feel that it is a tiny bit lighter than usual the "overall feel" which I could fix with more Gain I guess, but since you not quite done yet I will leave it for now. Also, every car feels different as well in terms of "bodyweight" and with very good road and kerb detail.

Solid update again mate, going in the right direction for me.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Karsten Hvidberg

Update:

* FFB signal improvement. Custom made FFB scaling function replaces Sigmoid function.

The Sigmoid function had the issue that it compressed weak forces, a kind of anti-LFB effect.
    The custom made function is a better fit. No compression at the low end & only at the very far top does it compress. It also maintains almost perfect 1:1 ratio all the way up until "compression zone".

Custom ffb file attached "Silver Bullet" V3: (Was a bug, download from file below instead)

• Like Like x 6
  4. Karsten Hvidberg

I'm actually considering removing the wheel base type stuff again as it seems the values are so similar anyways...
    But the latest file requires a little value adjustment loving, since the use of the Sigmoid function earlier had the effect that we adjusted to fit that. If you make it optimal I will push that in there :)

Oh and the file does loosen up the LFB, maybe that is what you feel.
    You can adjust the variable "rack_lfb_blend" which is set to 0.7 upwards. Maybe it does need to be 1.0. I'm not sure since my DD wheel does not really need it in the first place...

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. F.Santos

Can't make it work for me, the overall feeling now is lighter without any variation of speed or breaking, I feel a little bit on elevation change, but whether coming out of the pits or driving fast down the straight the car feels the same.

I tried changing the settings as you said and no noticeable difference tbh, if I crank up LFB in-game close to 100 it gets better, but no variation. On the previuos silver bullet If add gain and lfb I get that pitch and yaw quite good and the overall weight of the car as well, with some noticeable variation in changes of elevation and somewhat under breaking too.

I tried switching it to CSW 1.0, but it didn't change much if anything, tried changing some other values but equally unnoticeable. It feels very much like a pendulum now from when you leave the pits to driving fast.

I compared it to the last Silver Bullet v2 and with a few changes to Gain and LFB I can easily mitigate most of this feeling.

6. sherpa25

sherpa25 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I find this pretty weak. I had to increase to 100/80/50 from Nuscorpii's latest from 80/50/50 to get close FFB. Just checking as you might have decreased some values.... though I'm guessing not too, as it's quite a jump.

Good suggestion too to remove the wheelbase type, as previously there were a few times I've forgotten to activate the T300 in file :D

...Ninja'ed by F.Santos ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Karsten Hvidberg

There's a big bad bug in it, fixing & updating in a min.

Will update the function one more time later, btw, it's not perfect yet, in my rush I didn't construct it fully as intended. Anyways, the values should still be possible to adjust.

Fixed attached:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. F.Santos

Karsten, it did fix, I went back and compared the 3 Silver Bullets, and the best feel overall I get from the first one. The dips and swings of the chassi feel more balanced, scrub and kerbs as well.

Just did 3 laps with the superV8 in Curitiba and got the 3rd best time online (im not fast!). But I do get a really good feel for what car is doing and road as well in that one. I hope it helps.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Karsten Hvidberg

Did you mean the fix did not work?
    You liked the one that does not auto adjust to the cars the best?
    Or do I get it wrong? To me the last one feels best, for sure, but prob. depends on both car & wheel base...

10. F.Santos

Yeah, I was thinking about that, in the pits and on track the first one feels better. Whether it has the biggest range varying from car to car I have to test more to be sure cos my impression is that raising LFB and scrub to 2.0 did the trick now.

I felt like the last two didn't have much difference between cars, especially the last one which feels a bit better after your latest fix. By the way, I'm not selecting specific values for CSW by choosing it, just modifying parameters directly.

11. Karsten Hvidberg

Ok, but you are using the last one right? Cause it does not have the wheel base selection in it any longer, just making sure?

12. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

what FFB settings In the game you drive with the custom file from Karsten. I feel almost nothing compared to the default with my Podium DD1

13. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

LOL, thought you didn't want to go to "the ugly place" Karsten? Yet here you are claiming your new function is superior than the Sigmoid based one, yet you clearly don't even understand how that even worked. not only that you release 3 attempts each with bugs that give a lower output than default. Again.

If you had understood my Sigma based function you would have noticed that it actually maintains a perfect 1:1 ratio to a preset point when the sigmoid takes over. Not "almost perfect" like yours. The curves actually look quite similar up to a certain point when you have to cut yours off otherwise it gives a decrease.

14. Karsten Hvidberg

I never looked in to the Sigmoid function other than knowing how a general Sigmoid looks & the solution felt exactly like that to me, so are you sure?

I would not have gone the custom route if it didn't(to me).

Sorry to have worded it like that, just rushing. Not too much time.

I would be happy to take a look at the details of it to make sure if I am mistaken.
    As said, went by feel & how they generally look & it matched. I prob. am wrong then.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  15. F.Santos

Dont think so, using this one.

Attached Files:

16. Karsten Hvidberg

oh, ok, did the last "fixed" one feel bad & can not be adjusted good?
    (post #429)

17. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

"Felt exactly like that to me" - Still karsten shade huh? :p

Yes, here is a comparison scaled to match the maximum:
    upload_2020-6-12_15-47-22.png

Yours in red. The dotted green line is the linear part before the solid green sigmoid part. You seem to be aware of the other issue with your function so I won't comment on it further.

18. Karsten Hvidberg

That sounds very weird?
    I use pretty normal settings, maybe except for recon 1.
    I also use a low LFB of maybe ~10.

19. Karsten Hvidberg

Yes, it's just weird.. I must have felt wrong...
    Anyways, will plug in a new function later.

Maybe when I pasted over the Sigmoid function I made a mistake, did not really look in to it, as I said. Just felt very weak at the low end.

Sorry, I can see I did no better than yourself from the other day.

• Like Like x 2
  20. F.Santos

The thing is, out of the box this one was really good, easy to set up in-game and recognise what was missing in the file. So I think it took me about 5min to have it ready to play.

The second file feels similar but weaker, which makes the pendulum sensation stronger and all cars light when in the pits.

The third one never felt right to me, and I put some time going through the file and changing things and couldn't make it work, not better or to the level of the first file.