1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@Manolo @AntoAntoDD (son) I'm really glad you like this version :)

@Michael Enright this is for me a very good news, let alone the slide and slip_factor that I got from Daniel (along with the other shared values over time), the further changes to the code I decided by studying your modified GRIP 1.0 file send to me and your needs expressed in V2.0, from that I understood that I could reintroduce some values used in 5.0.1.3 in the code of 5.0.1.4, such as the power slip to 7 and speed up the smooth to 0.01, then I reintroduced the smooth in the bumps and the new variables to allow you and others to test simpler ... I noticed that these alignments did not interfere with my wheel and therefore we have no reason not to implement them ... instead, I had already decided to change the suspension for some time ...
    BTW I'm happy for this, but as @Bull Shark has already said we would like to know what are these minor changes??? :D ... (i suppose they are similar to your previous GRIP V1.0) but better to request them, something might stand out and here we never stop learning :)

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

3. Danielkart

Hey Stakanov, I'm glad you were able to implement my slide and slipe_factor. And that people like your custom. I have one good thing in mind again, it could be very good for Custom. But have to take a little break, have other things to do. Take care and see you soon and have a nice evening:)

4. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I really like this Factor 5-0-1-4 4W.GRIP & STRETCH-MOD V2.1 (WITH YAW) version.

However, there are a couple of things I prefer from the one I had been using (rFuktor 5-0-1-4 4W.GRIP&STRETCH-MOD).

1) I don't feel the bumpiness of the tracks nearly as much now - eg. Galeao Airport feels nice and bumpy (in a good way) using rFuktor 5-0-1-4 4W.GRIP&STRETCH-MOD but now I barely feel any bumps.

2) Regular kerbs now feel a bit too harsh and less rubbery than before. I'm using a Logitech G29 (I think you still are too?), so you probably know that loud, harsh, plastic rattle sound it can make on kerbs.

Are there settings in the FFB file I can modify to increase the bumpy tarmac sensation but reduce kerb harshness and make kerbs feel a bit more rubbery?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Stakanov

1) For bumpiness i think that the solution is smooth to 0.000 and only if you want most effect go up with scale 0.45 and only if you want less effect go down to 0.35... or if you want more large bump track set this voice to 0,40 or to taste.... the voice are here down indicate... try combination of this.

(micro_bumps_scale 0.40) 0.35 #How much you feel the micro_bumps effect.
    (micro_bumps_smooth 0.008) 0.000 #How much smooth the micro_bumps. Suggested values to try: 0.000-0.002-0.004-0.008
    (large_track_bump_scale 0.04) 0.40 #How much bumps on the track are felt.

2) For kerbs the voice are this ...
    (kerbs_surface_scale 7.40) #How much you feel the kerbs_surface effect.
    (kerbs_surface_smooth 0.00) #How much smooth the kerbs_surface. Suggested values to try: 0.000-0.002-0.003-0.004.
    (kerb_bump_scale 3.00) #How big the tall curb bumps are.

in the first v 2.0 kerb scale are set to 7.80 with kerb smooth to 0.04 and kerb bump to 3.40 ... if you want smooth you can use this to 0.04 or to tast different value (0.004) but with smooth you can reduce a lot the effect ... try combination of this 3 item!!!

3) If you want less moviment of car and then of suspension you can set this to 0.35 ... if you want mutch 0.45 now is 0.40
    (suspension_scale 0.40) 0.35 #How much the suspension is felt.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Stakanov

Of course I am grateful, I am always grateful to everyone ... for now I am often away from home for work and the important things to check will come soon ;) ... I can't wait to try (if I get the chance) these updates on your custom file ... a break is always good for everyone, thanks for the loving thought, good evening to you too :)

7. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

These are the same minor issues I have. I have worked through a couple and now have good kerb feeling including bump. I have to agree that the tracks are a lot smoother, too smooth in fact, and that is what I am going to work on now. Hopefully we'll sort it all out, which I'm sure we will. Just one question. When you accelerate off the line, the wheel does vibrate quite a lot. If I turn down Scrub, I don't get it but also no feeling of that Scrub in conering. What is the best way to overcome, slightly reduce, this effect? Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GTR886

GTR886 New Member

I assume ffb_custom_settings - rFactor 5-0-1-4 4W.GRIP & STRETCH-MOD V2.1 (NO YAW) is for DD right?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stakanov

For modify this vibration, leave the scrub at your taste and then try modify even at your taste this value 25 ... go down for up the vibration effect during accelerate (22-20-18-15) ... turn up for reduce the vibration effect ... original karsten value are 15 ;)

#(FL_slide (min 1 (/ FL_scrub 25)))
    #(FR_slide (min 1 (/ FR_scrub 25)))
    (RL_slide (min 1 (/ RL_scrub 25)))
    (RR_slide (min 1 (/ RR_scrub 25)))

EDIT: be careful not to remove the "#" symbol, the effect on the front wheels is counterproductive, so it is correct that it is disabled. ;)

It is not a mandatory choice, it is recommended at most, usually the DDs have a lot of power and, especially if you use high GAIN values, in the last period it has been shown that not having the yaw can help because you avoid some oscillations.
    But the files are practically identical, only the yaw function is missing, so you can use what you like most immediately (try them both) even if not yet optimized for your tastes ... once you have chosen, start finding the values of the sliders in game that you like the most and finally try to tune it to your taste ... in the file (yaw or not) you have some advice and alternative values to use voice by voice, if you don't like the effect try to use them, many alternative values are for DD, others are only an alternative..

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. Danielkart

Hei Stakanov, that's exactly the idea I had yesterday with FL and FR_slide 25. But I can confirm it after current test that it is counterproductive. Before I go on my holidays, I'll post you my greatly improved Custom file V30. Maybe it will also bring you new ideas Stakanov? I recommend my Custom but clearly for dd bases from about 10Nm. Have fun with it and many greetings from Daniel:)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  11. Stakanov

Come home tomorrow night, for now I download it and watch it on a laptop, I can't wait to try it in game even if they are on a totally different basis, but it is now a constant fact that our tastes often meet .. . I will let you know!!! ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Stakanov

Guys I have completed the file with the final version of the suspension (V2.2), here I feel wonderful and I hope it will have the same effect on you ... i will explain better later!!! :whistle:

I will wait to publish it because I am waiting for the game to come out of the release candidate status to get the latest update which includes, among other things, the new tire carcasses, if as I think there will be no hitches we will have completely new suspensions and wheels!!! :)

It will be my last file for now :( (I will not be able to play, test and correct) and I hope that the game update will come out by Sunday evening, then from Monday I will be elsewhere and I will have to take care of other things for about a month, so I will rid you of my cumbersome presence inside Karsten's house, thank you for your hospitality and endurance ... a good evening everyone!!! ;)

• Like Like x 9
    • Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

Looking forward to your 2.2 file!
    Currently using your No Yaw 2.1 with the alternative DD values, and liking it a lot. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Stakanov

The 2.2 will only have different suspensions, if you don't like it, just don't move ;)
    This is what I have detected ... in 2.1 the shock absorbers are coupled in a similar way to Karsten's original, with 2 suspensions meeting in a front front and two on a rear front, to which the smooth function was applied to both, after which you calculate the load, apply the smooth again and to finish with the "as" and the final output "suspension", this determines that the suspension pulls behind the whole car with the famous unstoppable or bad pendulum effect if not immediately correct ... it's a war with the swaying cars.

Now, i have all the rest of the file or the effect calculated for a single wheel (4 wheels), I decided to divide and specialize the single suspension in a more specific way (it was the last effect that did not operate on the single wheel), so in 2.2 I kept them divided not only at the beginning, but also after, by applying the smooths to single loads, , the coefficients and the operations individually and only to finished operations, I gathered everything in a front front and in a rear front, and I also amplified the final lines of the code a little to emphasize the curbs ... the result is that the center of the steering wheel is released from the suspension play, I warn suspension almost sideways on the steering wheel, the pendulum effect is now controllable, for example the car starts to the right, you leave the steering wheel and the accelerator and the pendulum stops, I drive the swaying cars (Caterham, V8s....) like never before, the steering never becomes stiff as a stone when the suspensions are in maximum load during curve and I always know why I was wrong and how to recover, the curbs are well highlighted ... I obviously hope that not only warn about my G920 base or only in my brain :)

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  15. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

Sounds amazing! Is this new suspension code transferable so I can move to my tune of DanielKarts? Thinking about it was it the lines you sent me before?

can’t wait to try - hope you get some rest in the next month!

Rob.

16. Stakanov

No are other lines ... and no because in the new code in the rear suspensions there are two variables that recall non-calculated values in the Karsten or Daniel file that calculate only the front items ... but it can be adapted, or they could be easily calculated (are two lines of new code) ... I don't know the result though.

EDIT: @Rob Davies ... I have to correct myself, you can apply it, there are all the variables in the last karsten 5.0.4.1 file ... if you use Daniel's file there are only 2 lines of code missing in the 5.0.1 file, easily inserted without any modification ... only that now I'm playing with the new "relese candidate" version and I don't feel as good as in the old definitive one, or rather, the suspension feels great, and the curbs too, but the wheel load has been significantly increased and I have to find the balance again on the pendulum effect ... damn it!!! :mad::D

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  17. Danielkart

Wow Stakanov that all sounds damn good. I'm really looking forward to your custom file. And I'm also excited about the new tire update, then we'll see how our custom files will behave. I hope it will be good and not mess up the ffb of the custom files. Your work and time you put in is incredible, I really appreciate it. I'm really looking forward to your work. Have a nice weekend:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@Stakanov @Danielkart Is there more tyre updates coming, besides what's in the already available RC?

19. Danielkart

Hey Michael! You will see what will really happen in the end. I'm not a fan of early high euphoria when it might turn out very differently in the end. But it looks like there will definitely be changes in driving behavior , I hope good ones , of course . In any case, I'm curious and I think we can then respond with our custom files:)

20. Stakanov

So, I'm recalibrating everything with the "release candidate" ... and fortunately I have found consistency both in the suspension, both in the curbs and in the pendulum effect :) ... the new carcasses are beautiful, the tire is now more informative and complex on many/all machines, but regardless I notice a generalized increase in the load forces on the individual wheels and on the lateral forces and therefore an increase in the pendulum effect with consequent stiffening of the steering when swerving sideways ... ;)

For the suspensions and curbs it was easy to recalibrate, for the pendulum effect it was more difficult, because I couldn't get the ballast off during the skids (No less gain, no less lfb, no less resistence, nothing seem resolving) ... after many attempts I solved it using the "vel_rot_limit_coef" item with a DD value (1.50) that was previously exaggerated for my cheap steering wheel because it lightened too much (first max 1.40-1.42), but not now ;) ... I even think that the DD could go a little higher now ... but we'll see what happens with the final version and search the details, for the moment I'm equally happy ... I'm ready. :cool:

Last edited: May 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3