1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Neurotic

Neurotic New Member

I just came back to AMS 2 after reading and watching YT videos about the latest very promising updates. After I got my VR setup fixed and having taken my first test drives with the default+ FFB, I got hooked and AMS 2 might now become my goto sim. VR just looks too good in this sim and the cars+tracks combos are also quite to my liking.

Now, I am not all that happy with the default+ FFB and I am looking for a custom files for my CSL DD (8nm), which seems to sit in between the low/med wheels and the more powerful DDs.

I checked the latest custom files here and all seem to have some pros and cons and I guess I need to do a lot more testing to come to a final conlusion since all custom files paired with the ingame and wheel base possibilities are simply overwhelming. After looking into the files I don't think I can spare the time to really get into it and figuring out my own custom file, so I am hoping to find one to my liking. I understand that with the new update, things got more complicated and it might take some time for you awesome guys to figure out the details.

I wanted to let you know, that I really appreciate what you guys do for this amazing sim! And by that I mean the custom file creators but also everyone giving constructive feedback. Really great work and I cannot thank you enough for putting so much time and effort into this, so that everyone can find an FFB file to his/her liking. It is a very complex and subjective matter after all.

Now for my initial not very sophisticated feedback on the files I was able to test, I think it is crucial to know my test setup, which is Spa with the Porsche GTE. Not sure if this is a good combo, but it combines two of my alltime favourites in sim racing.

For now I prefer the overall feel of Karstens latest rFuktor-5.0.1.4, but for me it is a too hard around the center in high speed corners, i.e. Eau Rouge/Raidillon. More importantly it is really good in communicating understeer, without too much oscillation which seems to be the issue I have with the other files I have tested.
    I either get (almost?) no understeer effect (danielcart v30 or Grip&Stretch 2.1 by Stakanov) or the wheel oscillates too heavy on straights or under braking (mdecker + Stakanov Atmos v1.1). On the other hand these files all seem to have some other positive aspects, that I prefer over the Karstens rFuktor. But I will give more detailed feedback, once I did some more testing. For now it was a bit too much input for me after the last two nights, that I spend fiddling around with all the files and settings.

Finally my CSL DD and ingame settings, which are currently varying, but have been tested within the same range on all files:

CSL DD (8nm):
    --------------
    SEN: AUTO
    FFB: 100
    FFS: PEAK
    NDP: 0 - 30
    NFR: 0
    NIN: 0
    INT: 0 - 4
    FEI: 20 - 80
    FOR: 100
    SPR: 100
    DPR: 100

Ingame:
    --------------
    GAIN: 65 - 75
    LFB: 0 - 40
    FX: 0 - 40
    DMP: 0 - 30

Any recommendations to above settings are highly appreciated and sorry for not keeping it short... ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Thank you for your custom files. They are all very good and certainly perfectly matched to your bases :) As a result, I have also made progress again. I was able to improve my custom. Even more pressure on the tires, new stretch values. New crossover values and the slope value completely eliminated. In my eyes, this value is unnecessary and disturbing for the ffb feeling. Tear_threshold adapted . Slide values slightly adjusted. Ps: Stakanov, unfortunately I don't have a solution for your 1.1 greetings

Version 32

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hrm. I don't have any wheel oscillations on straights or under braking. However I do feel the tires on straights and have let go of the wheel more then a few times. The wheel does move when the front tires hit bumps but it doesn't shake or anything though.

My DD1 is setup a bit different though so that might be the case? I use more or less the same in game settings as you.

My ingame is:
    Gain: 55 - 60
    LFB: 10 - 25ish
    FX: 30 - 35
    DMP: 30 - 35

DD1 base settings are different though:
    SEN: Auto
    FFB:65
    FFS: (Currently linear but I go back and forth between this and peak. If linear then FFB is 65 if peak then FFB around 50)
    NDP: 36
    NFR: 12
    NIN: 14
    INT: 2
    FEI: 70
    FOR: 100
    SPR: 100
    DPR: 100

I do have a bit of dampening in my DD1 but I think that is because I came from a CSW 2.5 which has dampening built in due to the belts and pulleys so I was just used to that. Also I like the feeling of pushing through the dampening a bit as it feels a bit more real to me.

Last edited: May 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Neurotic

Neurotic New Member

@mdecker79
    Thanks for your reply! I will definitely give your file another go and try to adapt your settings. Sorry if I might have misjudged it, due to wrong settings on the base. I guess our bases are not too far apart settings-wise, but mine might lack some punch. I will play around with NDP NFR and NIN, which should definitely put some additional damping on my wheel, which could counter the oscillations I had. Maybe I should also give linear a chance. I prefer to have some damping as well in general, just was not sure what the ingame damping really does. I recently almost exclusively played ACC and combining NDP or alike with the ingame damper was a no go, so I tried to exclude one from another in my tests. Maybe this was my general issue with my testing. I will give feedback once I tried.

@Danielkart I will also try your latest version. I saw your settings within the v30 custom file, are you still using them? Just want to make sure I get as close to the source as possible and try to adapt with my CSL DD base, which is not as strong. But given you seem to have gain 60 ingame and 60-90 ffb on the base, I might come close.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Danielkart

Hi ! Yes I use the settings you see in my custom. Of course I have different powers than them, up to 13-14Nm peaks. The settings are of course always a matter of taste, if you go by your own feelings then you will be right;)

6. Neurotic

Neurotic New Member

@mdecker79 Wow, what a difference with some NDP, NFR and NIN! :cool: No oscillations and the understeer effect feels just about right! I also enjoy the dampening, which I know is not for everyone, but for me this feels more like a steering wheel. Now some more fine tuning with ingame and wheel base settings and I already have an absolute incredible FFB. Will also test some other cars and tracks. Big thanks for sharing your custom file and settings!

• Like Like x 1
  7. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Awesome and very good to hear. I did a lot of testing/changing with the slip_crossover section of the file because with the default 5.0.1.4 I felt the understeer effect was coming in to early. I'm sure I can mess with it more but I really just wanted to drive at one point and not test :).

I really enjoy the file in VR as I also added a few more immersion things to my liking and one of them is the gear shift feeling in the steering. Sure it's not that realistic but it just ticks a box for me in vr. Another is I added some more suspension feel as well. This added stuff just works for me in vr and lines up so closely with my two butt kickers (wheel slip, wheel lock and travel) that I totally forget about the butt kickers and I forget about the FFB. Then I'm just left with the car feeling like an extension of me.

• Like Like x 2
  8. spyke70

spyke70 New Member

Hi Daniel, what value should I raise to have a slightly higher weight of the tires?

9. Neurotic

Neurotic New Member

@Danielkart I just come back from testing your latest custom file. I also really like it, it feels very agile and really communicative when it comes to the road details, while at the same time shows its teeth when you get above the limit. I was a bit surprised when I spun out and at the end of the spin the wheel got really angry with me, while my arms were not ready for such a bite ;). Only thing I am still missing is the understeer effect, which I cannot feel in the Porsche like I can with mdecker79's file. Will do some more testing with other cars as well.

@mdecker79 Your file with the Porsche GTE currently does the trick for me. Like you stated in VR it feels very immersive. I just can feel the car and where it wants to go. Now you tempted me to add some buttkickers as well... not that I wanted some anyway... :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  10. RubénGarMo

RubénGarMo New Member

Hi! Trustmaster T248 over here. I think the last version of custom FFB is amazing, and so strong, I had to lower almost every value in options from my default profile. I have got into the game recently, so this is the first custom file I use. Moreover the strenght, I think the most noticeable change for me is that the wheel come back by itself to the center with strength, this didn't happened before.

My ingame is:
    Gain: 31
    LFB: 0
    FX: 30
    DMP: 20

I'm using rFuktor 5.0.1.4 - "ATMOS 4.1 (4xFX.1WHEEL)" MOD V. 1.1 with Yaw. Like has been said before, it's very informative. the only thing to improve I can say is that in some kerbs on front right I don't feel anything, like I am driving over regular road.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Tiago Ribeiro

Tiago Ribeiro You must first finish AMS2 Club Member

This is one of my favorite versions so far. I really like the added pressure feel.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Danielkart

I'm glad thiago that you like it. But what I would be interested in is the feedback from all users about the crossover_line_slope, which I switched off with #. Anyone else notice the difference? Or do you not notice any difference? If so, how is it noticeable? Thank you and have a nice day:)

13. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Not sure why you changed the language in your comment, but I also found this customFFB the best so far, however with some adjustments to values.

I found that hitting the kerbs sent a shockwave through my rig with the FFB settings. So I lowered all Kerb scales/effects
    The steering was a bit to soft for my taste so I increased the values for turning in and I also lowerd the DF setting (so DF has more effect on how hard it is to steer if I understood correctly)

Further more I changed the scrub values a bit, since I like them subtle.

I play with a Simagic Alpha Mini, 100% setting FFB. Ingame 65% gain 20LFB 35 FX 10 damper I believe.

I might post the ffb custom file later if someone is interested.

What I like about this experimental FFB is first of all that the steering feels more believeable than the Stakanov files to me, which feel like a flat FFB effect which is a bit to harsh for my taste as well. You feel the tyre loose grip as well, it seems more dynamic, but quite subtle.

After the adjustments I'm very happy at last with how my simagic performs!

14. Danielkart

Hello Spike! I don't know exactly what you mean? Could you describe it in more detail? Sometimes google translation is to blame;)

15. spyke70

spyke70 New Member

Daniel, the parameter to feel more tire weight.

16. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

From a distance I can't do much, but for the moment I have found a typing error in the ATMOS 1.1 code.... not present in ATMOS 1.0 ... this in red and bolt ;)
    (FL_bal (max FL_bal FL_load))
    (FR_bal (max FR_bal FR_load))
    (RL_bal (max RL_bal RL_load))
    (RR_bal (max FR_bal RR_load))

(FL_load3 (if FL_bump_kerb_active FL_bal FL_load))
    (FR_load3 (if FR_bump_kerb_active FR_bal FR_load))
    (RL_load3 (if RL_bump_kerb_active RL_bal FL_load))
    (RR_load3 (if RR_bump_kerb_active RR_bal FR_load))

change with this in green and bolt
    (FL_bal (max FL_bal FL_load))
    (FR_bal (max FR_bal FR_load))
    (RL_bal (max RL_bal RL_load))
    (RR_bal (max RR_bal RR_load))
    (FL_load3 (if FL_bump_kerb_active FL_bal FL_load))
    (FR_load3 (if FR_bump_kerb_active FR_bal FR_load))
    (RL_load3 (if RL_bump_kerb_active RL_bal RL_load))
    (RR_load3 (if RR_bump_kerb_active RR_bal RR_load))

For the vibration at the start try changing the smooth of FL_start_load from 0.01 to 0.001 or completely eliminating the voice "(smooth FL_start_load 0.01)" including only the two adjacent brackets ...

(load_fl (smooth FL_load 0.1))
    (load_fl (* 650 (/ (- load_fl (smooth load_fl 0.2)) (smooth FL_start_load 0.001))))
    (load_fr (smooth FR_load 0.1))
    (load_fr (* 650 (/ (- load_fr (smooth load_fr 0.2)) (smooth FR_start_load 0.001))))
    (load_f (+ load_fl load_fr))
    (load_rl (smooth RL_load 0.1))
    (load_rl (* 650 (/ (- load_rl (smooth load_rl 0.2)) (smooth RL_start_load 0.001))))
    (load_rr (smooth RR_load 0.1))
    (load_rr (* 650 (/ (- load_rr (smooth load_rr 0.2)) (smooth RR_start_load 0.001))))

And for less Load of tires, since now it's all for 4, try change this...
    (load_norm_wheel 250.0)
    with this
    (load_norm_wheel 125.0)
    if you dont like return to 250!!

I have many other ideas but I have to try them to verify them ... and if the ATMOS 1.0 was ok we will find a way to balance the 1.1 ... in the meantime, I hang up the ATMOS 1.0 version that I had deleted in the post.

Good evening to all.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Danielkart

Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing you back home Stakanov. Especially the exchange with you, because we have very similar feelings for the ffb. See you soon and take care:)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Stakanov

Guys I found a lot of wrong code in the ATMOS ... from here I can only correct it, soon I will publish it updated ... sorry if I made a mistake in the rush!!! :(

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Stakanov

Guys, I replaced the ATMOS 1.1 file with the correct one, I apologize again if I caused some inconvenience due to the rush ... everything should be okay and coherent again and therefore only your personal harmony is missing.

I will not be able to do anything else for now ... we will improve the features later based on your advice !!!

Below the link to the previous post where to get the file!!!

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,
    As always, thanks to karsten and everyone else involved.
    I'm running the latest Stakanov 1.1 w/o yaw.
    II like a lot of it but I can't get the wheel to go light when rears slip.
    I raised the value for rear grip loss and I still can't get wheel to lighten when the rear tires lose grip.
    I used to get it from the karsten 5.61 ..,pre rFuktor.
    Can anyone help me?

Thx in advance