1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for the responses! I will delete the AMS2 folder and start anew. @Dean Ogurek @sdubbin, when you get a chance, would you both please share your full True Drive settings, AMS2 in-game settings, and the custom profile you are using? It would be great to have a starting point to work from. @Danielkart I can't recall which wheelbase you have, but if you have an SC2, I would love to know your True Drive settings and in-game settings as well (I believe I have your latest custom file already...unless you've updated and not posted yet).

2. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Hello Chip! No, I own a Fanatec dd1 and you can find my in-game and base settings right at the beginning of the custom file. You can find my custom on page 272. It will remain the V42 because it works excellently, I only react to updates or if Karsten will bring new physics again. I think Dean can certainly help you with the base settings because he also has a Simucube. Beautiful day

3. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

See TD settings image attached.

AMS2 ffb:
    • Gain: 60%
    • LFB: 0-5%
    • FX: to Preference
    • Damping: 45%
    Current Custom ffb version: by Stakanov - ATMOS 4.1 v1.3.2 (without yaw)
    I did make a couple of minor tweaks to this version, and I believe there is a newer version available from him, as well.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. tk84

tk84 Member AMS2 Club Member

Out of interest, whats the thinking behind the 1270 steering range in TD, I've always had mine set at 900, assumed that was the 'normal'

5. Dean Ogurek

Not sure tbh, just based on a recommendation and it seems to work fine. I suspect it may be suited to work better with the big "Trucks".

6. MobileSchikane

MobileSchikane New Member

Hello i was little while off ams2.
    What custom ffb for TS-PC is aktuell a good choice? I prefer the feeling like in rFactor 2.

• Like Like x 1
  7. inthebagbud

inthebagbud Member AMS2 Club Member

Good evening @Danielkart - I'm intrigued what are these settings

# Dynamic FFB:
    # Speed Sensitive: Enable
    # Speed Threshold: 220
    # Speed Threshold max: 340
    # Damper Effect Range: 90
    # Damper Effect Strength: 5

8. José Llamas

José Llamas Member

Anyone with Fanatec DD1 wheel can contact me in private, please? Thank you!

9. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Good evening! If you have a Fanatec base you can use Fanalab. These values can be set there if you wish. Regards

10. GeekyDeaks

GeekyDeaks Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi all. Does anyone know how to get the default+ settings from the game? I tried setting the FFB to default+, then closing, removing the ffb_custom_settings.txt and restarting, but it didn't seem to have any effect. (I'm guessing it still dumped default).

I like the overall feeling in default+, but I cannot get rid of the positive feedback at high speeds without crazy amounts of friction, however the one from @Danielkart works brilliantly in this regard on my setup with zero friction, so I'd like to mash the two to see if I can still maintain the weightiness of default+ without the oscillations.

Also, does anyone have a link to a reference for the inputs to the script? It looks like lisp, so I think I can figure them out assuming that is correct, but it would be great to get a definitive list. I tried searching for a guide, but the hits I saw were all guides for the UI

11. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hiya Deaks,
    I'm sure this was brought up some time back and the basic answer was that it is not like a custom settings file and can't be used as such to base one on.
    Have you tried the ordinary default, i.e. not the plus version. I used to use the plus version until the big set of changes fairly recently but now the vanilla version is the dogs plums now. I don't know what your wheel is so I guess it may not work for you but I'd recommend you try the vanilla default as it far supersedes the plus version now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This is about the closest you'll get to a reference for the script. Lisp-like syntax with some inbuilt functions:
    (it's a link to an earlier post in this thread)

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. GeekyDeaks

Ah, good idea, at the very least that might get me much closer to what I want. Ta!

EDIT: I'm using a simagic alpha mini, i.e. budget DD. It's got a really smooth frictionless action by default, which I think is part of the reason I'm experiencing positive feedback

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  14. GeekyDeaks

Cool, that does at least confirm my suspicions about the syntax! Been a while since I used lisp :D

15. MickT

I also use the alpha mini. Have never been able to use default/+ due to the crazy oscillations. I just use the 5.0.1.3 custom file with all Alpha Manager settings at zero. The custom file already contains any damping needed, and the raw output is fine for me at least. In game, I have LFB 5, FX 30, Damping 10.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dean Ogurek

I can't speak directly to that wheel however, if you experience oscillations with any wheel, increasing in-game damping is likely the solution. Try 50% and see if that does the trick. If the response is too slow, try reducing Damping a few percent until you find a balance.

17. MickT

There's something specific/unusual going on in this case. I stepped through every in game and wheel setting, with no luck. Even posted a video of it (much) earlier in this thread:

18. GeekyDeaks

I tried all the way up to 100% dampening in 25% increments and whilst it did take the oscillations longer to get out of control the higher I went, they still occurred for me at high speed even at 100%. The only thing that seemed to totally eliminate it was increasing the friction, but on my alpha mini, that caused the thing to get pretty darn hot. To be honest, it's not a big deal since it really only occurs for me at high speed and I don't tend to take my hands off the wheel under those circumstances anyway, I just like to tinker :D

19. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I see, I get that too if I take my hands off the wheel. I remember reading a good while back and well before AMS2 was born that it is a common problem with FFB, something to do with feedback interference that can't be avoided due to how FFB systems work, but it can be mitigated. Something like that.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dean Ogurek

Interesting. I also run quite a bit of Friction in the wheel-system driver settings, as I like the way it applies a weighty sense of structural steering resistance.

If I were having such issues with oscillations, I would test a combination of the wheel Friction + Damping (Wheel or in-game) to achieve a better result.
    • Friction: reduce looseness around center / provide weight to overall steering.
    • Damping: control steering "speed" and responsiveness.
    Regarding "Speed" / responsiveness of steering: settings for improved lap times vs those for Drifting will likely, vary quite a bit. The sweet-spot is where the player-response speed and wheel-response speed align for optimal control, given the intended goal.

Of course, steering system (hardware) limitations play a part in the result but, finding a good compromise between those two settings should improve overall steering behavior.

• Like Like x 1