Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Try reducing Smoothing here.

(load_norm_wheel 500.0)
    (FL_load_norm (* FL_load_norm load_norm_wheel))
    (FR_load_norm (* FR_load_norm load_norm_wheel))

#(m_FL_load FL_load_norm)
    #(m_FR_load FR_load_norm)
    (m_FL_load (smooth FL_load_norm 0.08))
    (m_FR_load (smooth FR_load_norm 0.08))

Fx controls the scrub intensity, you may need to lower it with this file, its very much car and track surface dependent, so can be variable by small amounts.

this can be increased , but will also add turning resistance on corner entry for heavy cars.
    (brake_feel_follow_weight 0.1)

Centering can be increased also try 0.54
    (centering 0.5)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Kuku

Am not fully understanding what oscillations you a referring to , You maybe have quite different camara settings to myself . I use legacy also , but very little movements, it feels in sync to me. But not obtrusive over tire feel which is my priority.

you can experiment with reducing smoothing like above, increasing track bump scales etc.

3. Dmand

Dmand Active Member

@Danielkart Finally tried your V80 file for logitech DD. Feels great and i will be using it going forward. Still messing with in game settings and base settings to get it perfect but we have a winner here.

I know it's none of our business but i hope all is well.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. R48

R48 New Member

Can anyone tell me what what to adjust in a custom file that would affect the road surface feel?
    I used to have it just the way I like it until the 1.5 update. I liked a gritty feel of the road which is hard to describe but made it seem like I was connected to the surface. Without that resistance I feel more like I'm driving on a sheet of ice. I've tried increasing values in "Master road details and suspension" and "Master effects" but that doesn't work. Any ideas?

5. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Hey Dmand! Thank you I'm fine. Yesterday I had the opportunity to test some cars with the new physics. It confirmed to me that this update also changed the FFB. I will bring the V70 with the very good tire feel and the V80 with the extreme stability together for a last file V90 from me. It won't be difficult to combine them, after that I'll retire from Customs altogether. I think that's enough for me then, there are a lot of people who will continue and that's a good thing. Greetings to you Daniel:)

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Handpflegecreme

Handpflegecreme Member AMS2 Club Member

I can agree that

7. Handpflegecreme

Handpflegecreme Member AMS2 Club Member

I appreciate your work and thank you for that. Still waiting to meet you on track ;-) Stay safe mate!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Kuku

without knowing what file and settings you’re running .
    try increasing texture_scale .

• Like Like x 2
  9. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks @Danielkart for all you hard work and persistence with your FFB files. I have enjoyed them, along with others. For me, much better than Default/Default+. You will be missed in here. Stay in touch. Hope all goes well for you in the future. Take care.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Keen to see what you come up with @Danielkart , currently reworking my file as it's way too heavy on the rx tracks, think it's due to the oversteer/understeer values as that's what the car is mostly doing on the dirt.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Rudi Bäck

Rudi Bäck New Member

Thanks @Danielkart for the wonderful FFB files. For me they are the best, Looking forward for V90.
    Hope you will rejoin us,

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Danielkart

Hey buddy! Yes, I also tested these fun cars and tracks and thought about how it could be integrated. Ams2 now has an extremely large number of cars and tracks. Regular street cars, race cars, trucks, F1 cars, go karts and now these RX tracks and cars too. It's difficult to integrate all previous cars and tracks into a good custom file. For me, these RX tracks and cars are at home in the rally world and should be treated as such. In my opinion it is no longer possible to integrate this new genre "Ralley" into the existing one because it would damage the previous files. Therefore there will be 3 V90 files as always. Additionally there will be 3 new V90 Rally files just for these new cars and tracks. Unfortunately, the file has to be changed when driving on "Ralley", but for me it's the best solution and I don't see any other solution. You'll be amazed at how good these fun cars will feel;)

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Tiger_Feet

Tiger_Feet New Member

Thank you @Danielkart . Without your custom files I really dont get on with AMS2 at all.
    (1.5 has improved that - but its still no DK custom file! :) )

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  14. RimasLeon

RimasLeon New Member

How can i tune custom file without restarting the game to apply settings that i made?

15. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

You can’t…

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Kuku

Im away for a few days, but I'm pretty comfortable with this file being in a good all-round state.

Reduced Exaggerated front loading back down, its not good to over saturate the feel, and you lose a lot of fidelity.
    Im happy enough with it for now to leave in signature as usual, but might revisit some things as I explore more of the car roster.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Danielkart

Alright guys!As promised I will post you my last V90 Customs.I will submit the files for 2-5Nm in the next few days.

I'll describe it a little shorter than usual.Combining the V70 and the V80 was my goal, merging the best of both worlds.I think the files have retained a very good tire feel from the V70 and also the tremendous stability of the V80.

There will also be new V90 Rally files for the Formula Dirt / Kart CROSS / RX Cars and the Trucks and their associated tracks.There will be 3 files for different power ranges and 3 rally files for the different power ranges.I think it will be worth taking another file at the (rally world)

As always, I deliberately left the flat spot at 0 because there are very different views and preferences.This value can be adjusted to your liking in the file, my recommended range is around (Flatspot_scale 0 - 0.15).Above all, note the IN-Game value FX in the game for the rally files, which should be higher.The in-game values and the base values are all at the beginning of the files.

As always, I wish you a lot of fun with the files and fast laps on the track

Best of Karsten Hvidberg V90 from Daniel for all Bases 8-30 Nm

Best of Karsten Hvidberg V90 (Ralley File) from Daniel for all Bases 8-30 Nm

Best of Karsten Hvidberg V90 from Daniel for all Bases 5-8 Nm

Best of Karsten Hvidberg V90 (Ralley File) from Daniel for all Bases 5-8 Nm

Best of Karsten Hvidberg V90 from Daniel for all Bases 2-5 Nm

Best of Karsten Hvidberg V90 (Ralley File) from Daniel for all Bases 2-5 Nm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
    • Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 9
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  18. Dmand

Dmand Active Member

Nice! Looking forward to trying these today

19. Michael Phillips

Michael Phillips Member AMS2 Club Member

I do plan on trying Daniel’s v90 later but after extensive testing of many custom files / default and default + here are my findings. Probably a good 30 hours at least, all told.

I’m using the Logitech g pro wheel, which from what I gather has some peculiar interactions with AMS 2. For instance, g923 mode seems to produce less overall forces than pro mode, even when both are set to 11nm. Also, many custom files when applied to this wheel have a somewhat light feeling that I very much dislike.

General thoughts:

- In game damping is inferior to wheel base damping. In game has an unpleasant (to me anyway) self-centering and correcting force. Wheel base damping seems to add wheel weight and nothing else.

- Due to the above point regarding wheel forces I’ve settled on pro mode and have not found any reasons yet to switch back to g923 mode. I find 85 gain with default ffb on 923 feels right whereas 60 gain on pro mode is ‘correct’. You can also see the difference between modes by looking at clipping on the telemetry hud widget.

- Trueforce – I just don’t know about Trueforce in AMS 2 lol. I generally like TF in iRacing and ACC. In AMS 2, maybe once out of 10 times I load onto a track I can identify what feels like TF in other sims. Keep in mind, default+ at least if not default have low rpm engine vibrations built in. These are present even with TF at 0. Most of the time I can’t tell the difference between TF at 100 and TF at 0 on the base. I just settled on TF at 0. This TF behavior was consistent across G923 and Pro mode in my testing.

- I tried to stay away from modifying values in the custom ffb filed itself. Having to close the game and wait for it to load again to test changes isn’t for me. Just adjusting sliders in-game and on the wheel base can produce dramatically different results.

FFB Profiles:

Default – Sooooo close to being great. The damping, even with wheel base only damping, just doesn’t feel right to me. At first it feels great, but after more extended use I find it to be not quite there for me.

Default+ - Same issues as Default but with additional ‘noise’ introduced. I didn’t spend much time with default+.

I’m not going to write thoughts on all the custom files I’ve tried. If it’s been posted in the last few weeks I’ve probably tried it. Some of them weren’t tuned to my preference or I felt they produced weird/unpleasant effects on the Logitech wheel (almost all of them were not specifically made for this wheel).

Additionally, some files even default/default+ would feel good on one car but I wasn’t able to dial in the settings for other cars. I wanted to find one file that I could use on every car.

The file I’ve ended up with is the Heavy Messing v2.5 Detailed file (attached to this post, but its available elsewhere on the forum). It has the right mix of cornering force and detail, and can be dialed in per car using the on-track ffb gain adjustment and small changes to wheel base damping.

Wheel Base Settings

Angle: 900

Dampener: 30-40, 38 is a good starting point for most cars, try 30 and run a few laps and then switch to 40 and feel the difference. That will help you find what you prefer, and then make adjustments when you load up a new car and it doesn’t feel quite right.

Strength: 11nm

Filter: 11, you can try going lower. I find it introduces a grainy feeling that I strongly dislike.

TF: 0, as mentioned above

In Game Settings

Gain: 70, I mapped gain up and down to the rotary dial on the wheel. Just go up or down until the forces feel right, -5 to +15 was where I ended up on most cars. Almost all cars did require an adjustment. Gain plus wheel base dampening adjustments were enough to dial in all cars I’ve tested thus far.

LFB: 0

FX: 8, I just kept turning this down and down until here. There is still plenty of detail. With it higher, I find the feeling to be more grainy and not in a good way.

Dampening: 0

Final thoughts:

this is obviously just my opinion. If you disagree I’d like to know why. I don’t assume this is the only ‘right’ way to ffb on this wheel.

My preference is towards a heavier wheel in general. The cars I used mostly for testing were the merc gt3, formula inter, F3, Formula Vee, Formula USA 2023. In 1.5, the tin tops were more consistent and felt better overall. I ran into a lot of issues trying to find settings that worked across all car types in the game. I also haven’t really tested this on the new dirt cars. Not my priority at the moment.

Thx for reading and happy driving. If anyone from reiza comes across this, awesome job on 1.5

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 5
  20. RimasLeon

RimasLeon New Member

Done test with V90, a lot nicer than V80 for sure. Now will dig deeper to choose best for me V70 or V90. Testing at Donington National with Porsche GT3, at the moment have WR. But i prefer more INT and use FEI higher. @Danielkart did you tried use INT 3-4 with 60-70 FEI? Lowering FEI to 20-40 kills a lot info.

• Agree Agree x 1