1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Different people may rely (more or less) on different senses, so it's never good to assume others sim experience is just like our own.

I feel feedback through the wheel of my daily driver that other people claim doesn't even exist. I may be more attuned and sensitive to the finer details through the wheel but, they are more granular than the feedback coming through seat of the pants feedback.

Others may rely more on visual or audio cues, not even noticing subtle tactile cues at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

Totally with you on this.

After Citroën BX (let's talk about competition level brake pedal ;)), Lancia Dedra and Volvo S80, my personal choice is been Audi (since 1998). A4, A6 and Q5. Now an A6 Avant.
    I've driven a competition Clio Williams on track, I've test drive BMW, Mercedes for 1'000 miles, FOr my former job, I've driven Renault Traffic :), Opel Corsa, VW Golf, etc., for God knows how long.
    I even parked my former boss Porsche Carrera 4 for him :)
    I know what a car feels like.

"Everybody" says Audi doesn't have road feedback, it is too damped/filtered. I can feel everything!
    The road feedback is different from BMW and this one is different from Mercedes, but not better nor worst. I got used to find nuances.

I'm also a sensitive guy ;)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

I'm much more sensitive. I drove the Bobby Car when I was 3 years old and I felt everything even then :DI'm massively impressed that your boss let you park the Porsche :eek: This thread is getting ridiculous

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Sorry, I'm already taken and she's a real gem! :D
    But she can certainly attest to my being very sensitive. :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ju gnot

ju gnot New Member

Hi Guys. I didn't read the whole 350 pages but the last 10... :) Here is my storie : simdriver since beginning of 2000 years, AMS2 is my favorite sim since 2 years now. I used a TS PC racer for controller until i decided to change to... T818 (3 weeks ago). Very early i eard about the option "custom ffb" and i used to drive with one of the ffb custom available on the first page and since almost 2 years and my TS PC... it was perfect (maybe not perfect but very good). I felt many things like tyres in curb or in brake, compression, granularity, weight of ther car, etc.. As soon as my T818 arrived and installed, no sensation at all. Very disapointed. I understand now why so many youtubers tells that AMS2 is no feeling sim... but i know (we all know here) that is wrong. Anyway, as i am an maniac of FFB, i decided to modify the current ffbcustomsettings i have with value according the T818. So many hours.... :) :) I can tell it is now much much better. It miss a certain feeling of granularity of the road yet. Question to Joaquim : did you recieve your Moza R12 ? Did you enabled the driver option 'granularity sensitivity' ? You are right when you say that TM drivers are very poor but i am almost sure that they will deliver soon drivers with many options for the T818. As soon as the file is ready (to my opinion) i will post it here for all users who gets the T818. Cheers guys :)

7. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I tested your file with a few cars and I have to say that I get some wild oscillations on straights, probably from the road texture, idk. If I let go the wheel it takes off completely rotating like the rotors of a helicopter. Wild shaking during small steering inputs as well. Obviously I don't know how it works on other wheels but for me this is undrivable.

No offense, this is meant to be constructive, but I think you should take a closer look at some parameters and see if you perhaps accidentally ramped up some numbers too much or made some other mistake. It can happen to anyone.

Of course it could also just be me not understanding the language. Totally possible, but the wild shaking is definitely something you don't want to have.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Joaquim Pereira

As a mater of fact, I had those oscillations too, manageable by simply holding the wheel lightly.
    But they disappear some versions ago and the posted file should not have that effect.
    We'll see if that's common or if some have it and others don't.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Joaquim Pereira

10. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I know i've said it before so I won't say it again, but if just one person likes this then it was worth putting here.
    It is good though.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I like it better than the last one, but I think I can say the custom ffb rabbit hole has been filled for me. I always go back to this file, it is perfection, and I'm very glad you created it.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. ju gnot

ju gnot New Member

Hi All. As i mentioned before, i changed my TS PC racer for a T818. The custom file used wasn't setup for this new base so i decided to modifie it completly. After 3 weeks of tests, please find my file that i am very happy with. I put the recommandations for all forces in the beginning of the file for the base and for the game. See you :) (i like strong driving...)

Attached Files:

13. Pav

Pav Member AMS2 Club Member

One of my issues with most of these files I’ve tried is they all feel super unlively and dampened as far as what I feel on tire loading, suspension feel, etc. Other effects are great, including enhanced effects on kerbs, scrub, etc. Do you think this version of your file is more lively (for lack of better terms) as far as feeling what the tires are doing underneath you? Btw I am a DD2 and absolutely love linear, glad to see you gear one of these files for that.

While I’ve got you here… is there any guide you’re aware of on how to write these files? I’m a sw eng, I understand the syntax, equations, etc, and am capable of reading them just fine, but am fuzzy on the “API” of this file, so to speak, including “inputs” / “outputs”. Using quotes to be purposefully vague / generic on what these mean in this context. If you have any pointers, would absolutely love to hear them, I would love to deeply understand these.

14. ricxx

If you feel other FFB files feel unlively and dampened, maybe use ‚peak‘ instead of ‚linear‘.
    I could try the opposite, maybe the ‚linear‘ setting would make it more drivable for me.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pav

I’m a huge fan of linear - on all of the settings, I have done exactly what each recommends, if the file specifies it. And on top of that done a lot of experimentation with tweaking both in game settings as well as wheel base settings in all sorts of combinations. Danielkart feels best to me in Peak mode (though I prefer linear with Default / Default+). Btw in no way am I bashing these files! Just looking for something much more lively and raw feeling. I am a bit against the grain in what I want out of ffb, even if that comes at the expense of an FFB signal that would be optimal from the “I want to be as fast as possible” perspective. I want to feel all the effects and for the signal to be flashy and fun. Btw I have also modified danielkart to drop dampening and increase a couple portions of signal, but I still feel I am starting with a base ffb file that is not best suited for my likings.

Thanks for the input!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Danielkart

The tastes are very different and very diverse. Linear, non-linear, lots of feedback, little feedback. What additional hardware is available? There are hundreds of possibilities and variations. Personally, I always try to find a compromise between all the options available to me then I feel best. What I learned during this time was very exciting. What I also learned is that these original files (from the creators), no matter who wrote them, still need a lot of fine-tuning and sorting in order to shine in the end. No matter how well they understand the language and codes, it can end up being completely different than what was originally intended. I now only react when Reiza changes the physics and I have the feeling that the FFB has also changed as a result. With 1.5 this step was very big, I hope that things will calm down with future updates. There are now so many customs that there should be something for every taste and every user who wants a personalized file

17. Pav

I’ll re-pose my question to you. Without asking too much (as I’m sure there is so much that could be discussed), aside from tweaking what is there on rFuktor or your files, do you have any tips on understanding more fundamentally? I’m trying to wrap my head around the scope of possibilities / frame my thinking on what all comes in / what all goes out as these files are used / run to ultimately produce “simply” a steering FFB signal. Also… thanks for all your work & contributions! Question from above:

While I’ve got you here… is there any guide you’re aware of on how to write these files? I’m a sw eng, I understand the syntax, equations, etc, and am capable of reading them just fine, but am fuzzy on the “API” of this file, so to speak, including “inputs” / “outputs”. Using quotes to be purposefully vague / generic on what these mean in this context. If you have any pointers, would absolutely love to hear them, I would love to deeply understand these.

18. ricxx

I think the 'linear' setting flattens the FFB considerably which seems to cause you to ramp up values and still find the FFB flat or unlively. To me that sounds like you should just use 'peak' instead, especially if you want all the effects to come through.
    Interpolation filter (INT) is another setting you can lower.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Danielkart

I know there are people who think linear is better than peak.For me personally, this was never an option.As I said, everyone should go according to their own taste and feelings:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Danielkart

Hello Ju Gnot!It's great that you invested so much time in the file.I just looked at your file on my iPhone.Are you sure about this file?I can't imagine that this file works with high powers.Of course I don't know your base and maybe it works completely differently, but these extreme values are very unusual.If it works for you naturally then everything is fine