1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

I don't know what car track combo you used, but I often drive in Rfactor2 and AMS2. Although I find the experience of the FFB in AMS2 more consistent over its content I still find Rfactor2 at its best is still at least 25% better.

It conveys more fine information when driving on the edge ( maybe more to do with the tyre model ) and the feeling of bumps, weight transfer and brake feel are also better represented.

2. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

I have been using T300RS GT for a long time now and with the rFuktor 5.0.1.3 custom FFB, has there been any update to it since the 9.th February 2022 version ? Even though i think for this wheel this custom FFB is basically perfect. Here are my settings.
    AMS 2 rFUKTOR 5.0.1.3 FFB Change.jpg

3. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I’ve never managed to get RF2 into an enjoyable state . I try for a couple of hours every few months , but with the base game content , I just can’t seem to get a feeling that even close the level of detail and connection as Ams2 custom .
    I wish I could , but it’s always to frustrating and in general too lite in chassis feel vrs the Hugh jolts for bumps that should be less noticeable than the kerbs , which feel perfectly fine .
    One day ….

There’s been no specific update , nothings happened that would break it .
    Karsten did briefly add a couple of experimental variations, ending with this one recently. Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Some of this I’ve implemented into my own file, which is still heavily based on 5.0.1.3 , as it’s still the best and most tuneable base to start from if you want to use the features of the momentum rack .

My file link in signature….

• Like Like x 2
  4. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

What's new:
    • Introduced ABS effect
      to adjust, change, cancel: (ABS_gain 0.4) and/or (ABS_freq 0.4)
      (different wheelbases/manufaturers may require changing those values to get desired effect)
    • Improved near-steady-point feeling
    Still to improve/implement:
    • (no roadmap)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

rF2 FFB is very car specific and there is huge diffrences between old and new content, it's almost like driving a different sim. In the new online system, beginner level races is base game / free content only and none of those cars used there feel anything like the newer dlc stuff. I think all of them even use sold older tire model. The FFB with those isn't always horrible, but nowhere near as good as the newer stuff or AMS2 FFB (defaults or a lot of the custom files).

The DLC cars (like GT3, GTE, LMP2, IR18, F-Pro, BTCC, 992 cup car) I find all excellent what comes to FFB, but even between those it's car depended how it feels (which is actually great). All do share really good feeling of grip and limit.

AMS2 has especially now excellent FFB options though and I can't even anymore decide, which is my overal favorite.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Joaquim Pereira

I believe it's the whole package than make things great.
    We have factors like physics, FFB, sound and visuals. If one of them is unconvincing (or clearly inferior), the rest cannot convince you otherwise.

And then there's the personnal experience and the blurry, unsettled, line between what we want and what we need. This line is not define by objective factors, hence the constant discussion about what's good and what's bad (good and bad are not binary nor objective by any means). No one wins this tension/battle, but it's good to ear what others have to say - we call it freedom.

7. Joaquim Pereira

Strangly enough, I only tested 992 Cup in rF2, the car I loved the most (came 5th in the first LFM season... with 800 participants.... but only less than 20 attending all races... :().
    Too many "empty spaces" compared to FFB I get from FullFFB in AMS2.

8. Marnus Zwarts

Marnus Zwarts Boost Creep AMS2 Club Member

@Joaquim Pereira Hey man, thanks for an awesome file (v10). Honestly the first time I can feel the difference between front and rear slip/traction loss.
    Couple of questions:

Can the "spring effect back to centre wheel posisiton" be increased somehow, I feel there's not enough self alignment torque or "rubber band effect". Changing the gyro scale from 0 to 2 makes no difference? I think gyro is more applicable to high speed straights?

Other thing, can the break feel be adjusted to give a slightly heavier feel to the wheel under breaking? edit: I now see the code where this is implemented, but I can not make head or tails out ;)

Ooooohh and can you provide max and min values for effects like gyro and others without ranges? What will happen if I change a value to 6 and the max allowed is 2 for eg.?

Sorry if this has been mentioned in this mega thread already

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. GFoyle

That car quite often in use in the new system, I did 7 races with Sebring with it last week alone. You don't need huge grids though to have fun, with any luck, you end up having few that have similar pace. That car has great FFB for sure.

10. GFoyle

You want more?? For me there is plenty in Joaquims files already, but maybe it's base dependent, I have plenty of nM, so it can feel a lot.

You can always increase caster if the car setup allows ..

11. Marnus Zwarts

Marnus Zwarts Boost Creep AMS2 Club Member

Yeah I only get a fraction of the self alignment force compared to Def+

12. GFoyle

That's strange, I remember it was less for me in Default+.. have to test that later.

13. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@Joaquim Pereira If I wanted more kerb feeling, which line would I have to change to increase that effect? Thanks.

14. Richard appleyard

Richard appleyard AKA Neworder

@Joaquim Pereira what's your in game settings mate and pit house I'm on a R9

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  15. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

I gave this file a go, the ABS effect is fantastic, nice work JP.

I will need more time to fully test the file but my initial thoughts are that it feels good for the most part, a little over dampened for my taste and the wheel seems slow to react, but the last file I used was the raw rack force file where everything is very sharp and fast (maybe too much).

16. Tiger_Feet

Tiger_Feet New Member

Possibly a daft question...

Does ABS 'effect' work in all cars or just cars with ABS?

17. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I assume it only works on cars with ABS since it probably engages when ABS engages

18. Tiger_Feet

Tiger_Feet New Member

Yea that would make sense.

I wasnt sure if AMS2 had ABS 'telemetry' or not.

Thats got me thinking, if it has maybe I can add an effect on my motion rig too. Never thought about that before now.

19. GFoyle

My poor man's motion rig is strong enough wheelbase that vibrates the whole rig so I do feel those effects clearly on the pedals too. This is a reason I'm hesitant to get a better, more sturdy rig... might damper it too much and make want some separate haptics on the pedals very least.

not sure does AMS2 telemetry have that or not, but custom ffb does't use telemetry as far as I know, so can't make conclusions of that

• Like Like x 1
  20. Joaquim Pereira

Reiza, we need more sliders, please!! :)

The self alignment is purely from rack forces.

It makes a difference, but it tops out at 6% of the total forces... try to reduce the 8 in this line:
    Code:
    (pseudo_gyro_force (/ (tanh (* 15 pseudo_gyro_force)) 8))

Again, reduce the 3.4 in this line:
    Code:
    (delta_load_wt (/ (tanh (* (/ (- FL_load FR_load) f_load_avg))) 3.4))

Nothing strange happens, Earth still goes it's journey across the Universe :).

I treated kerbs differently in previous versions, now I don't. Just increase macro_details in this line (ofc, you can go above 1.5, no problem):
    Code:
    (macro_details 1.0)            # bigger suspension details [0-1.5]

Hi Richard! Just default/neutral settings. With custom files we change things here. With baked FFB from sims, those settings can/should be changed to better suit personal preferences.

I'm a very simple man, ABS effect is just an ABS effect.:)
    If you want other tyres effect, mess with scrub_scale, line:
    Code:
    (scrub_scale 1.0)            # scrub feeling [0-3]

AMS2 outputs ABS to shared memory, but custom FFB files don't use that info (that conveys external applications needs). For instance, SimHub uses it.

Worry not! My Trak Racer TR160 Mk4 also does that!!
    (is important to isolate the rig from the ground to let it sing it's song :))

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1