1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I’ve never had an issue with the kerb behaviour with the momentum rack .
    There’s always believable reactions.
    A lot can depend on which side of the kerb you are on and how much Camber or Toe the car is using.

When dealing with dome profile kerbs that have a rise and fall each side of the top of slope , the following is expected.
    if you are half on the kerb but still half on the track , it will push you back towards the track .
    If you are over the back half of the kerb it will want to track to the outside further ( pulling)

when dealing with mostly gentle wedge profile of some serrated kerbs , it will generally push back towards track slightly until, you get over the back edge of kerb , that has a sharp fall off , then it will start to force the inside of the tyre to the outside .

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Bert van Jaarsveldt

Bert van Jaarsveldt New Member

I don’t know it all seems to be making sense now and I now have a clearer picture in my mind of the different types of curbs and the forces it will have on the steering rack. Also when driving with one wheel on the grass I expected it to pull towards the grass but the wheel on the track will have more friction than the one on the grass so obviously it will try and pull you back onto the track.
    I think I am reverting back to original settings

• Like Like x 1
  3. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

I think everyone has their own ideas about how a car should feel or behave physically. I made a decision and everyone should do it for themselves

• Like Like x 1
  4. Danielkart

By the way, there is a very good way to test this.Take the Spielberg Historisch 1974 track as an example of the Formula USA 23 car. The track has round, long double curbs to perfectly simulate this behavior.You will have enough time to feel what the steering is doing.This route is ideal for feeling this pull or push in the steering.Depending on where the car is and where the tires are on the curbs, it will pull or push them.
    For me, this is a significant advantage for driving on curbs because you can react to them and you know what the car is doing because it's not just a vibration of the curbs in the steering.If someone wants to test an old file of mine (I took the V600) you can test it with a value.There are other values that affect it but I won't go into that.This value is ( kerb_bump_scale 0.0 ) Increase this value to 9.0 (very high value) and test it on the curbs.Then reduce the value to 0.0 and test it.You will notice an extreme difference.The pulling or pushing in the steering will be extremely high or not noticeable at all.Now simply adjust this value to suit your personal taste

• Like Like x 2
  5. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think the suspension geometry is only one variable in this, and we could add in so the severity of the impact or velocity alone is included in the calculation as well.
    To you, would you say it matters a lot or at all to include?
    I'm curious appr. at which values of velocity or severity would you say it goes to neutral and then opposite?

6. Karsten Hvidberg

Afaik it is a fact that suspension geometry will impact this behavior, but many other factors will too, and currently momentum rack only relies on this one thing to make the call.
    I was told by @Domagoj Lovric of Reiza that linkage_sign will provide this information. I assume it was introduced so he could use it in default+ and simply is not used in default, if they behave differently, as you say, but I'm guessing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Danielkart

Thanks for the info! Yes, for me it's different. Ultimately it's not relevant to me because I don't use the default

8. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

Personally, the overall feel I get from the car is the most important. Every possible behaviour around a certain track becomes predictable so you can prevent bad things to happen and learn the "secrets" of the track (curbs that you can hit full speed with all 4 wheels - Mugello for ex.). So push or pull ... your "muscle memory" knows what to do, it's when you start thinking about it, you f*ck up :D
    And to be fair, unless every value is taken into calulation, you can never replicate 100% the physics behind it. A wet/damp curb can make a car spin and on a dry day it can be the point where your wheel find traction again :)
    One thing I want to add, once your front wheel goes over the curb and touches gras/dirt, IRL your car will always veer into that direction because the wheel "clips" the curb and pulls to that side - if that makes sense ?(sorry i'm not native English speaker)
    Bus stop (raised curbs on the inside) & la Source (sand when you go to wide on exit) in Spa are good examples.
    Most of the times, you go fast enough just to feel a small tug in the steering column on any other track :)
    I love the details and the effort put into it! I don't have a motion rig (I use a CSL DD 8NM - loadcell brake) so the wheel is all I have to feel the car.
    I still use an Rfuktor based FFB file ( 5.0.1.3 - by you guys :)) ...
    I followed the updates but they are all so "smooth" nowaydays :D I like the raw force that can allmost clip the ffb in the fanatec, I want my hands & arms to feel I've been fighting xxx HP for xx time. Not everybody is a trained F1 pilot with steel joints and ditto muscles :D

Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Stepy

Stepy Member

ATM I am using the Hybrid V3 on page 390.

10. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

Mine is 99.9% the same
    my ingame settings :
    Gain: 65
    LFB: 7
    FX: 43
    damping: 0 ( used 50 for a while - to much oscillation )

• Like Like x 1
  11. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

Just tested: linkage_sign is always 1, no change on kerbs :(

12. Karsten Hvidberg

I think this is a per car value. But I'm not sure which cars are affected...

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Mista

Mista New Member

Is there any custom ffb files with near to LMU or rFactor2 FFB?
    I am using 8nm CSL DD Wheelbase

14. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

You will have to see

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. Mista

Mista New Member

What about rFuktor 5.0.1k custom FFB ?

16. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

IDK since last I drove RF2 was 2 years ago and LMU was refunded after I couldn’t drive

17. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

Been using your latest file, I tried it with a good variety of cars and it feels really good, it as definitely evolved very well over the last few versions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

None will make AMS2 feel the same as Rfactor2. I can only suggest trying a few different ones, and see what you like. To be honest the default profile (not the default+) gives you all the information need.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. irishtim7

irishtim7 New Member

Just wanted to thank you for your work and ask a question. I've been using your FFB since I started playing the sim about 6 months or so ago. It's very good. However, there is one aspect I'd like to tweak but don't know where to start. For my preferences, the forces felt when the suspension is unloaded like travelling down a straight, is just a bit too much IMO. What variables should I be looking at in your file to try and tone this feeling down a bit?

20. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm happy it serves others.

Thanks!
    I been using a development version (v13) since the day after I publish v12. The main differences are an overall ligther feeling (straights and turns with lower load in front suspension) but the same forces on high stress situations :) and accommodates three major contributions in on single dynamic curve for arm forces. It's simpler and gives a more direct perception of front axel. I think that's what your are looking for ;).
    I'll probably publish it until next weekend.

The red dashed line is my reference (v12), the normal red line is the new implemented curve.

No extra load (straights):
    upload_2024-3-20_18-54-11.png

Max load (ex. breaking at Indianapolis Esses, Le Mans):
    upload_2024-3-20_19-1-6.png

• Like Like x 5