1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Of course, everyone should adjust it so that it suits their own preferences. Personally, I only drive in rally simulations with less steering angle to require less steering input and make it more responsive. But as I said, it has to suit everyone, I'm just pointing out what will change. It doesn't mean that my settings are perfect, that doesn't exist anyway. These are merely recommendations from me and tailored to the custom file. From here you can then tune according to your personal preference;)

2. Danielkart

The Custom File V800 on page 396 has been expanded with the bases Moza R12 V2 and Moza R9 V2.
    The recommended in-game and base settings can be found in the V800 file

• Like Like x 2
  3. Siggi_Stoppschild

Siggi_Stoppschild Active Member

Hello all, I'm sure you are already waiting for my testing results! ;)

So what I use: A Moza R9 Gen1 Wheelbase and a Moza GS Wheel.
    I used the latest V800 custom FFB file from Danielkart and I used his suggested Moza Pithouse settings and his suggested ingame FFB settings.
    When I drive in AMS2 and take the hands off the wheel, I get a pretty rough oscillation effect.
    I can avoid this if I change the FFB curve within Moza Pithouse slightly:

[​IMG]

I think this is a Gen1 issue of the wheelbase.
    All in all, driving in AMS2 with this custom FFB feels really, really great and I had a lot of fun today.
    The only thing else I adjust is the car specific FFB to my liking, usually something between 70-75%.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Danielkart

Yes maybe it's a problem with Moza the 1Gen? I can't judge it because I have the 2Gen and I don't have these problems with the wheel swinging. My reference is Simucube2 Pro and I have adapted the Moza R21 to this base as best as possible with the settings. I would say that a Moza R21 is about 80-90% close to my reference base. So a great base with small limitations

5. MagicBuddha

MagicBuddha New Member

Howdy folks,

So for quite some time, I've been using the default+ ffb configuration from AMS2. I've recently tried the V800 custom ffb on my gen 1 R16 base since its likely more accurate with all the work Daniel has put in. What I'm missing from default+ ffb while using the v800 version is:
    1. Feeling the wheel get lighter/looser when I lose traction
    2. Feeling the wheel tighten while trail-braking which helps me gauge how close I am to losing grip

I tried searching through this thread, and I saw comments about number 1, but it was quite a few years ago. I've also played around with several values in the config like `front_grip_loss_feel` and `rear_grip_loss_feel` but I haven't been able to get the feeling that I want.

Has anyone already worked though this before that could share some pointers? I'd gladly figure out the rest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

First of all, not sure why would you want to take hands of your wheel while driving ;) I honestly don't think oscillations that only happen in that scenario is a big issue or anything to worry about. If you get oscalliations while having hands on the wheel and actualy having to use force to keep it still, then it's another matter.

I had oscillation issues earlier (Moza R21 v1), but it was like over 1,5 years ago. I also had some other problems, that were solved/improved by doing the following:

a) did proper wheel calibiration within the game
    b) in moza pithouse, defining maximum limit angle as 900 and maximum steering angle as higher (I have 1220, which was just some random number clearly above the maximum limit angle)

Maybe worth a try to see if it improves things for you.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Danielkart

8. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Hi . I've asked about this on a couple of occasions but have also been unsuccessful in recreating these feelings into Daniel's files , shame really because apart from this they are the perfect files.

9. Danielkart

Regarding your 1 question. There are a few reasons for this. This feeling of a lighter wheel when you lose grip varies greatly between cars (physics). I also don't like it because it makes the car unstable and uncontrollable and also creates a floating feeling. And because a simulation cannot simulate the real G-forces, this loss of grip is subject to compromises. Personally, stability, front end feeling and no floating car are more important to me. An additional factor to consider here is the different processing of the bases. A Simucube2 will give me static force regulation finer and more precise than a Moza. This means I will feel more details and differences, even if I lose grip and the wheel becomes lighter.
    Regarding your second question: This has to do with the tire physics of Ams2. With Ams2 the total loss of grip is generally further away than with other simulations. Is that wrong ? A matter of taste and no one can judge it 100%. Maybe something will change with Update 1.6, we'll see. Your pedals also come into play here, and there are huge differences here. And don't forget, it always remains a simulation and has nothing to do with reality. In the end, it's your personal taste and whether you enjoy it that decides:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

Doesn't the fact that it's a simulation mean it has everything to do with reality?

Of course it is also a game so personal taste does decide and enjoyment should be the deciding factor.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Danielkart

Yes, that's exactly what I said above. It has to be fun and personal taste decides. Yes, it is a simulation (as the name suggests) and you try to replicate reality as best as possible. But still, it will never be reality

• Like Like x 1
  12. Danielkart

Yes, I agree with you. It is important that you calibrate the steering angle in the game first. Then it will be 900 degrees at Moza like at most bases. Ams2 does the rest itself and automatically sets the correct steering angle for each car. Changing the FFB curve (not linear) in Moza Pithouse will bring you disadvantages that you will have to try to compensate for, which is difficult or impossible to achieve

13. MagicBuddha

MagicBuddha New Member

Hey Daniel, I appreciate such quick reply!

You hit the nail on the head - with your config I definitely felt like the cars that I tried were less floaty and harder to lose grip. That's something that I've wanted from AMS2 ever since I got into simracing myself a year ago.

Am I correct in understanding that there aren't values in that file that I could play around with to adjust the threshold of when the wheel starts to get lighter as the grip decreases and increase overall ffb on breaking?

If not its completely fine, I just really love certain aspects of your work, and the two aspects of default+ configuration. Either way, great work providing more options to the community.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Danielkart

Yes, as described above, I have different priorities and ideas for my custom file. I am aware that there are many different ideas regarding FFB. The good thing is that there are many options to choose your own preferred FFB in Ams2. Test different options and ultimately choose your preferred option;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. JDean

JDean New Member

The feeling you describe is a litle bit like the Asetto Corsa FFB. Its totaly fun to drive on the edge of grip with these lighter feeling.
    I tryied a lot to get that feeling.

I testet around with an older File an adjustet it a little bit the line
    (slip_crossover_line2_start_y 0.88)

A hope there will be a new modern FFB file to adjust the "Edge of Grip" feeling

Attached Files:

16. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

Have you tried JPFULLFFB? This is the best file IMO for suspension and steering feel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That's the one I personally use (if not using Default+, which I do like as well), but like Danielkart said, there is plenty of options there.

I have tried and even used for longer periods in the past files from Danielkart, Pereira, Kuku and Alegunner I definitely recommend at least giving latest version of each a shot (at it wasn't that long ago that even Karsten updated his file, so that too is probably worth a try). The customs are suprisingly different to each other, even those that have same origins (Karsten's)

If the file has at least good enough initial impression on you, keep using it a bit longer, try different cars, tracks, do races and get more used to it before making judgement.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

I do think the most important thing when swapping custom files is to not judge them on 1 lap with 1 car on 1 track. Try them for a good while and make notes on what you feel and like/dislike with the file.

Once you have tried them all you will have a good idea of which one is best for you. I included default and default+ in this process.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

On the subject of JP's FullFFB, any news on v13?

I am excited to see this files progression.

20. Leandro Kemp

Leandro Kemp New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Daniel.
    Which line of the V800 should I change to make the steering wheel lighter in understeering?
    Tks