1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

I drive the Roco a lot, it is one of my favorite cars. Taking T1 at Cascavel without touching the brake pedal has become one of my favorite things. While doing that, I have a great feeling keeping that Roco in a little power slide in 5th gear.

2. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

No worries, that file is very experimental & might be completely out of whack for you :) It is less bumpy at least. Good for some, bad for others, I am very sure.

3. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just tried the latest 6.6.5.7 It is just waayyy too strong with everything. Even with LFB and FX on 0 it still shakes the **** out of my wheel (and arms :)). Went back to Default. Was quite surprised. It was not too bad in the latest Beta. Prob the opposite of yours. Default needs more, yours needs a whole lot less. Will keep any eye out for new files. Thanks guys.

4. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

Strange... I tested 6.6.5.7 on my DD1 yesterday, and if anything I felt it was a bit weak overall. Gain/LFB/FX 20/5/35, FFB on my DD1 50%.

5. U. Daniel

U. Daniel New Member

Hi Karsten, I would like to test the Project Car 2 version.

6. Michael Enright

Just deleted Automobilista 2 folder completely, and started again. Now I must agree with you, that it is a bit light. Except for the Scrub, which for me is excessive. The saw tooth kerbs are very light, and I have changed a few settings but can't get the feeling of those kerbs that I get from the default profile. Will continue to play.

7. Michael Enright

Just tried 6.6.5.9.2 This is a step in the right direction for me. The kerbs to me are still on the weak side. What setting can I change to make those saw tooth type kerbs a bit more pronounced? Thanks guys.

8. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

Is the version 6.6.5.9.2 more of a test release? I tested 6.6.5.7 but went back to 6.6.5

9. bmanic

bmanic New Member

Question: Did Reiza ever publish all the available variables/math functions/inputs of the current Madness Engine FFB system?

I still have a list of all the Project Cars 2 FFB variables (even all the hidden/non-publicly released ones) but I was wondering if Reiza added more systems to the FFB/physics simulation.

For instance, I've noticed yet again that nobody seems to use ALL of the actual forces from the rack/tires. There's not just Mz forces but also My and Mx forces.. and those do make a big difference. It's one of the failures of SMS to not listen to the feedback they got during development. Yes, those forces are subtle to non-existent in most situations but NOT in all. It's all about phase and forces cancelling out.. which is important. As far as I know, I was the first to ever run those forces in my FFB files for pC2 (before it was even released, in WMD2).

So, in short: What are the variables/math functions etc that we have available in AMS2 at this moment? Anybody got a list?

10. Ernie

Ernie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yesterday i tried the latest versions 6.6.5 and above.
    Strangely the 6.6.5 made my DD2 go crazy. The wheel instantly turned to the left until it hit the steering lock. Along with some rattling noise.
    This issue was gone by using 6.6.5.7 or 6.6.5.9.2.

But overall the latest files are way too strong comparing to default FFB. I have to decrease the FFB strength on my DD2 by more than 20%. Even than it is quite heavy in some situations. I'm not sure, if this is the way it should be.:confused:

PS: I tried lowering momentum_resistance, but it seemed it had almost no effect.

11. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is what I wrote about the FFB DEFAULT discussion .... after trying it for a few hours I uploaded the latest version 6.6.5.9.2 to make a comparison ...

Everything in the file 6.6.5.9.2 is much more defined and pronounced, the direction seems to me the right one, but many times I detect occasional shocks especially in the skidding phase of the car and in counter-steering ... I must say that the FFB Default file has made many steps forward and only a little too soft and if I have to just criticize it just lacks a bit of strength, definition and character, but now it is very coherent and predictable ... I find this greater definition as mentioned in version 6.6.5.9.2 but we need to eliminate these sudden shocks. ;)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Eric Bergeron

Eric Bergeron New Member AMS2 Club Member

I have exactly the same issue with my OSW than you . I deleted AMS2 file but nothing. The only parameter i would like to increase is the vertical load from the road ondulation.

13. Karsten Hvidberg

The latest file(6.6.5.9.3) relaxes the gain a little again, in general.

But for these files it is preferred to adjust the gain downwards to match the car best possible on high speed cornering. This makes sure it will use more of the ffb range available.

Hope this helps, cheers!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. sherpa25

sherpa25 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Sorry, didn't find the silver-santos files, out of the 6 posted in post #1. Thanks.

15. Ernie

Ernie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm slightly confused. I'd think that lowering the gain would also decrease the bandwidth for FFB signals.

If i use 60% FFB strength, my FFB range can go from 0 to 60. If i have to lower my gain to 40%, then my FFB range is just 0-40. But maybe i have a thinking error.

16. Karsten Hvidberg

Hi Ernie,

In the normal default file, an in game gain of 50% is used to down-scale the calculated ffb by a factor of 50% and is afterwards clipped at around 65%.

In the silver raw files the in game gain setting is used to down-scale as well, but the clipping is more advanced in general and additionally clips the ffb force and effects at static, higher %'s that don't follow the gain at all.

In silver raw files(as well as in heavy messing files), you potentially win much more dynamic range by lowering the gain.

So in your 60% example, in silver raw and heavy messing, your output range is not clipped to 60%, but can actually hit 100%. But it will still scale the ffb down by a factor of 60%, giving you 40% additional head room, than when you set it at 100%.

Silver Raw files additionally will actively exploit any additional headroom for high downforce cars, making these cars ha e a huge meaningful range of forces, if for example you set the gain at 20-40%.

Shadak, who fine tuned version 6.4 for specially the V10, runs his base at around 20%-25% for that car and it feels amazing on his podium wheel base, same on my sc2. It will become very heavy on fast, high downforce cornering to an extend where you can barely overcome the ffb in those cornering situations. But at the same time it will be very nice and light at slow speeds.

On less strong wheel bases you will want to run gain higher, as otherwise the forces are simply too light at low speed. So at for example 60% the Silver Raw files will then adjust and let the downforce play less of a role, while still feeling good, so it does not reach 100% the second downforce sets in.
    On a 6-8NM wheel base I think the V10 should prob. be run around 50-ish% (+/-10), depending on how you like it to feel at low as well as at high speed.

Important to notice that also low downforce cars benefit from more headroom. So this is why the recommendation is simply to adjust gain down as much as possible, as feels best at medium-high speed cornering.

I hope this helps,

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  17. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This latest AMS 2 update had me tweaking my custom files for hours to dial them back in yesterday! The Default profile now feels much improved for the GT cars (especially the Super V8 and Ginetta GT4!), but things just still do not feel right to me for the open wheel cars. With the Default profile, I spent more time spinning with the new McLaren than I did driving it around the track - I just could not feel what the car was doing.

I'm finding that with the HM files, using a bit more min_force is needed than before the update and like @Karsten Hvidberg just stated, running less Gain allows for much more dynamic ranges in the overall feedback, allowing the grip limit to be felt much better.

There also seems to be an increased harshness to bumps, which is especially noticeable on the straights. I'm getting more of a popping/bumping sensation instead of feeling the car moving over the bumps. Only thing I've found so far is to smooth them out some to help.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I’d be interested to know how you get on with this. I’m using the @NuScorpii HM 2.3, and since the latest update, something feels a bit odd. Life’s pretty busy for me atm, so I don’t have much time to experiment, but if you find anything that helps, please could you post it here?

thanks!

19. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

For sure man. I'm still in the process of updating files for the new build but I'll get them all posted for you to give them a try if you want. I've updated my change logs to be more useful so that the changes I've made can be easily seen and the reason for the changes are included. My files are tweaks from Heavy Messing and Silver Raw, just customized for specific cars for the T300 RS - they may or may not be good for your wheel. It's possible that some of my logs will help you to quickly modify them to your wheel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. EZen85

EZen85 New Member

First, thank you for the "Silver Raw v6.6.5.9.8 - Momentum Rack 4.3". It's the first time since getting my SC2 recently that I was like "YES! This is the feeling I want!" I love the feeling of loading the tires, etc.

I recently posted my issues with stiffly sprung, high downforce cars like the McLaren MP4/12 and Formula Ultimate on the GD devices forum. I'm getting cobblestone street effects at high speed in a straight line with these types of cars. AMS2 Gain even down to 15 (0 FX) still does it. I've tried increasing Recon filter dramatically, Inertia, Friction, Damping, Ultra Low Latency Mode and also Torque Bandwidth but it's still there.

With the Shifter Kart it's gorgeous, smooth and after setting AMS2 gain to like 50 I feel the tires loading so well and no issues on the straight.

Since your files aim to take forces off the tires, are the high downforce/loaded tires causing this cobblestone effect?

• Like Like x 1