1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@Karsten Hvidberg You are doing a fantastic job of these FFB Files. Thanks. I just noticed in .27 and .28 you removed the line (use_damping_slider 1). Does that mean it uses the damping slider by default now? Also, which way do you adjust the elevation_scale to increase the effect?
    ps I haven't tried .28 yet, but I do like a more lively wheel. Keep 'em coming.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Hi Michael,

Yes, damping slider has been enabled by default. I've tried to make it match somewhat to the Default, where I prefer it around 50%. 50% in Silver Raw is the starting point, from there it gets interesting in different ways going either down or up. I would not personally go down, but maybe ever so slightly above instead. That is the new zone, in which the damping is actually not increased, but instead the center of relaxation widens.

.28 should be much better for low traction vehicles btw, like the caterhams for example, as it works better now for slides & over/under steer.

"elevation_scale" would need to be adjusted upwards to make it more, but it's quite lively in .28 as it is :)

Best & Happy New Year! Hoping for a release today, so the devs can celebrate with the rest of the world, not sleeping from over-working too much :)

-K

• Like Like x 4
  3. Michael Enright

Thanks Karston. I usually run damping slider in game at 0. Are you saying i should be running 50?

4. Karsten Hvidberg

There is no right thing, only what feeling you like the most, so maybe try at 25% difference intervals 8)

5. Michael Enright

@Karsten Hvidberg Your not wrong about .28 being more alive. For me it gives a very good feeling of what the car is doing and how much effort you really have to put in on some tracks, just like you see on onboard videos. I'm prob no faster, but hell, it's more fun. Just tweeked a few settings a tad. Time for you to have a break, put your feet up and enjoy a bit of time off. Thanks heaps for your ongoing work on these files. Happy New Year.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Karsten Hvidberg

Thank you Michael, you too!
    Problem is I did already work it a little further, so .29 is on the way, feeling like a big step up in a few important ways 8)
    After that I have only 1 or 2 things left to do, I think 8)
    But I will def. download the new version and have a little fun!

Best,

-K

• Like Like x 5
  7. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

I hope this doesnt mean you will be leaving us soon :)
    Anyways, i was just too drunk today to really get the differences in your last update :D
    Also with all the new stuff and resetting all my settings i couldnt tell what had changed.
    Drove some GT1s and they felt really good. So, when im normal again i will try to evaluate your stuff :)
    Happy new year to all you guys , and a very optimistic new year!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Karsten Hvidberg

Hehe, hopefully you'll feel it. Some cars are now in a different league than from the older files. All cars should feel better in general.

New file 6.6.5.29: removed, bug update 6.6.5.30 posted instead.

Most important difference in this one is better feeling of road connection. At least on my wheel base.
    Done in a hangover.... Managed to not puke in the VR-set, so good start to the year so far!

@Slapshot82 I hope you're feeling better from your nasty accident, didn't sound like much fun!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 3
  9. Karsten Hvidberg

Sorry for the inconvenience.
    There is a small bug in that latest file, will post corrected version .30 later.

• Useful Useful x 2
  10. Karsten Hvidberg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

only time for one lap.
    I turn the track bump scale down to 0.1 by default these days ;), but this feels much more friendly than .28 .
    I even tried changing that spring value to 10000 with .28 yesterday, but didn't yield results that .30 does.
    Interesting new scales in this too, nice work as always. This might be the one that stops me using my custom.:D

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Kuku,

I fully agree to your adjustment. The next version will exactly soften the bumps in some way. As I'm sure you know it feels even more connected to the road when doing so.
    Its also why the suspension feel has been important for me to add in and now adjust better, as it provides a sensation matching the visuals, but without causing loss of connectedness.

-K

• Like Like x 2
  13. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

Hi, thanks for this work you have done. Sublime! I wanted everything to transition nicely and be smoothed out. So what I did on a Tx wheel was set gain at 70, upped the dampening to 50 and fx at 40. I did that because you said things were decoupled now and 3 distinct forces....

Low force I put at 30 (again, in .27 I had that at 5, because now the detail is there I feel its worth having in the information-stream/consideration; well done, - in .27 and .28 I wanted to hide that a fair bit and kept to .27), but of course I wanted that low force to be present - and thus I focused on smoothing it out per my tastes. Maybe I could use that info more so this may be my mistake but I note how the file has a lot of useful information for driving, wonderful.

Its all in-line with everything, turning force, bumps, center wheel, and its feels as it should be/would expect, smooth transitions from each of the 3 things, and as far as I can tell 1:1 with whats happening on screen.

I did the dampening up to 50 because it balances everything out. Thats how I softened the bumps without losing too much detail. I only ever like a medium-strong wheel as it is, and I must say that in no game have I used better FFB than this, and I have most of these sims apart from iracing.

Thank you!

I drive a longitudely-mounted inline 6 4-liter sedan, rear wheel drive, daily and spiritedly (in performance mode/when) and this is how I would expect it to feel quite a lot between straight on and turning. This aspect was lacking in previous things in many sims, and that you got there (and reiza's default a fair bit) is just great, very happy. I drive on Pilot pro sport 3's (a road tire) so not the worlds best tyre but still very good for road speeds, and I love how the game feels so on-rubber now between this and physics/engine. So I often but not always of course get that feel of lost/lessening grip then grab and how the steering rack (though they made it to reduce virbrations albeit and the rear can get unsettled but the grip of the tires plant it again) then grips back. Suspension is sports-like but tuned for comfort, I think 1 inch lowered, maybe 1.5 and nothing on these cars. Think the Ultima over the McClaren lol and not a single sports-component aside some poly suspension bushes so it won't take a thrashing for extended periods (especially the tranny which I baby mostly) and should definitely not; but the weight transference these days is even better, thus the point of my explanation and that transition in the ffb profile.

But I mean by that: I am convinced by this game now and the ffb is a part of that, as is the default but this one more so.

- And my constructive feedback is maybe the bumps are ok or at least more pliable than ever and don't need too much tinkering.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. Karsten Hvidberg

Thank you for your detailed feedback, raceracerace, really appreciate it!

I have damping at 50% as well. At 50% it exactly cancels out force generation when the steering is moving at the calculated rotational speed. It's highly subjective and also depends on the characteristics of your base, and on my wheel base that feels the best as well.

Fun fact reg. realism is that over the last many months I have tossed and turned any steering wheel I have been at in any real car softly, harder, slow, fast, driving slow and fast and on cornering to get a feel of both balance and general steering feel as well as steering feel under down force. It's been fun to try matching the general feel from those sessions to the ffb and then adjusted somewhat more responsive 8) Def. very personal and also wheel base dependant.

Reg. the bump adjustments I did give it a little time yesterday and only toned them down slightly in the end. A bigger change I made was lower both frequency and volume of the scrub and also adjusted the curve so it sets in slightly later.
    This based on earlier feedback from @Shadak and I think that this change now makes it more pleasant to drive, slightly more rubbery and the scrub more subtle and not being in my face on every slight turn of the wheel base.
    But so no huge change to the bumps, but more of a correction. Might post this in v .31 late today or tomorrow.

Thanks again,

-K

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  15. Karsten Hvidberg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Mid feels well scaled out of the box with no changes , I might reduce kerbs a fraction. ( kerb surface scale best option ?)
    Only grievance is a bit slow and spongey or delayed around centre in terms of feeling balance and edge of tyre if you know what i mean. I might experiment with the change of balance scale later to speed it up.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Michael Enright

Which way do you adjust balance scale to speed up or slow down?

18. Karsten Hvidberg

I am not sure I understand what you mean?

19. Karsten Hvidberg

Maybe a sharper center will do what you need? For that you could try upping the Lfb as well.

20. Michael Enright

Kuku Maddog said "I might experiment with the change of balance scale later to speed it up." so I just asked which way to adjust to achieve that.